Norichika Aoki (update: Brewers get Aoki)

TakebackOPACY

They are selling players and there is a reason that the team needs to agree to the posting before a player can be posted. International baseball anywhere in the world is not as good of a product as a whole than MLB. If it was a contract issue than the ML team that drafts him should just have to pay for the amount of money owed from that point until the end of the deal IMO.

Yea and China should not have to honor intellectual property rights either.:rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very disappointing that we didn't top 2.5M.

I'm guessing we did not bid at all, which is also disappointing. I say this only because we heard nothing from Roch at all during this time. However, the O's had been linked to Aoki earlier this off-season and he seems to fit the bill in terms of what The Duke was looking for and where he looks for it. But, I also wanted to remind everyone of one thing, and I am not saying this is what happened to the O's, the Japanese team does NOT have to accept the highest bid. If Aoki does not sign with the Brewers the posting fee is returned to the Brewers. Again, I am not saying this happened and I don't know if a Japanese team has ever not accepted the highest bid but if the Japanese team really wants that posting fee they can choose a team they think it is more likely the player will work out a contract with.

Since it looks like the Brewers will have some OF depth, maybe the O's should look into trading for Nyjer Morgan? He's a left-handed OF and he gets on base at a good rate. He's also under team control for the next three years. Thoughts?

Doubt it, but I would love Morgan on the O's. Would probably end up becoming the most divisive figure in OH history.

I'm guessing we did not bid at all, which is also disappointing. I say this only because we heard nothing from Roch at all during this time. However, the O's had been linked to Aoki earlier this off-season and he seems to fit the bill in terms of what The Duke was looking for and where he looks for it. But, I also wanted to remind everyone of one thing, and I am not saying this is what happened to the O's, the Japanese team does NOT have to accept the highest bid. If Aoki does not sign with the Brewers the posting fee is returned to the Brewers. Again, I am not saying this happened and I don't know if a Japanese team has ever not accepted the highest bid but if the Japanese team really wants that posting fee they can choose a team they think it is more likely the player will work out a contract with.

This has been debated before, but I am almost 100% sure that this is not true. The Japanese team receives only the dollar amount of the highest bid, with no knowledge of which team it is. They then can choose to accept or decline that posting bid. If and only if they accept do they then get to know which team placed the bid.

This has been debated before, but I am almost 100% sure that this is not true. The Japanese team receives only the dollar amount of the highest bid, with no knowledge of which team it is. They then can choose to accept or decline that posting bid. If and only if they accept do they then get to know which team placed the bid.

Yeah, on second thought, I think you are right. I had forgotten about the part where the Japanese team does not know which teams are making the bids. It just makes me wonder then, why is it that the question of not taking the highest bid is even brought up in media reports? In any event, thank you for the correction. :o

Yeah, on second thought, I think you are right. I had forgotten about the part where the Japanese team does not know which teams are making the bids. It just makes me wonder then, why is it that the question of not taking the highest bid is even brought up in media reports? In any event, thank you for the correction. :o

I think the media are either confused, or they mean to say that the Japanese team can reject the bid altogether, essentially meaning the player is unposted.

I think we might be able to pencil Damon in here. We heard that the Orioles really liked Cuddyer, but we were almost never linked to him throughout free agency. Adding Damon would also allow the Orioles the flexibility to drop Flaherty if need be as Damon, Jones, Markakis, and Reimold is a decent quartet of OF options. That would essentially allow the Orioles the opportunity to carry another pitcher or make a two for one swap without needing to worry about moving another player off of the roster.

1.) Ties to Red Sox and DD

2.) LH OF who can play CF

3.) Can DH if needed

4.) Could have trade value along the way

5.) Willing to accept a 1-2 year contract at a decent salary

I think we might be able to pencil Damon in here. We heard that the Orioles really liked Cuddyer, but we were almost never linked to him throughout free agency. Adding Damon would also allow the Orioles the flexibility to drop Flaherty if need be as Damon, Jones, Markakis, and Reimold is a decent quartet of OF options. That would essentially allow the Orioles the opportunity to carry another pitcher or make a two for one swap without needing to worry about moving another player off of the roster.

1.) Ties to Red Sox and DD

2.) LH OF who can play CF

3.) Can DH if needed

4.) Could have trade value along the way

5.) Willing to accept a 1-2 year contract at a decent salary

Damon. The one face I would like to look at less on a daily basis than Mark Texeira's.

I saw an article stating that teams wanted an international draft right now. Cespedes is going to cost a ton IMO and there should be a lot of interest in him.

Duquette certainly hasn't made his "one big deal" yet... Maybe Cespedes is that deal. :noidea:

That's all I got...

Archived