Best hitters/pitchers park(s) ever

Pedro Cerrano

Just out of curiosity, but I got the history jones tonight. What are, in your opinion, the best hitter and pitcher parks in history? With explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm guessing Coors Staduim would be one of the best (if not the best offensive park ever) although they have made some effort to neutralize it the past few years (humidty), its still very favorable.

Most of the old parks that I recall from the 60's and 70's seamed to be more pitcher friendly, with some obvious exceptions of Fenway and Maybe Yankee Stadium (which has always been favorable for LH hitters), Metropolitan Stadium (Twins) and Wrigley Field. Atlanta Fulton County Stadium was a bandbox.

I'd say PETCO has to be right right up there as a very favorable pitchers park. The ocean air/humidity makes it real tough to hit the ball out. Candlestick/San Francisco had to be tough for hitters as well, despite the fact some great HR hitters have gone through SF.

A lot of this is tough to determine beacause the way the balls and bats (among other things) have developed in favor of the hitter.

Here is a pretty neat site of you've never seen it.

http://www.ballparks.com

Memorial Stadium was a great pitcher's park at first, back when they were using the hedge for a fence. Then, they built a phony fence and kept moving it in for a while. In the end, I think it wound up being a mild pitcher's park, not a monster one like it started out being. But I could be wrong about that.

Memorial Stadium was a great pitcher's park at first, back when they were using the hedge for a fence. Then, they built a phony fence and kept moving it in for a while. In the end, I think it wound up being a mild pitcher's park, not a monster one like it started out being. But I could be wrong about that.

You are right about the effect being extreme at first and then becoming more neutral.

County Stadium before they planted trees in the batter's eye, the Astrodome of the 70s and Dodger stadium were probably the three best pitcher's parks.

As Houston and Milwaukee make clear, its not just air quality or fence distance, but poor lighting and bad hitting backgrounds that can really hamper an offense.

You are right about the effect being extreme at first and then becoming more neutral.

County Stadium before they planted trees in the batter's eye, the Astrodome of the 70s and Dodger stadium were probably the three best pitcher's parks.

As Houston and Milwaukee make clear, its not just air quality or fence distance, but poor lighting and bad hitting backgrounds that can really hamper an offense.

Intersting that Dodger Stadium now favors hitters. I would have thought it still a pitchers park.

Archived