Connolly: O's turn down Jurrjens, Prado and prospect for Jones

33rdst

According to Dan Connolly the O's turned down a package of players for Jones. Also the O's are going after Edwin Jackson and might offer more than three years. Chen is still in the picture even though Duke is being coy.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-thoughts-on-prince-fielder-edwin-jackson-roy-oswalt-and-more-20111220,0,5404920.story

Jackson is a player that holds some appeal however, he certainly is not the TOR some people say we need. For a so called power pitcher, he doesn't strike out as many as you would think and he walks far too many.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burnett's stats suggest he's a problem at any price.

Yes right now. But Jackson is 28. When Burnett was 28 he was full worth a deal similar to what we might offer Jackson or Jackson will get on the market.

From 28-31 Burnett logged 731 Innings, a 3.80 ERA and a 2.68 K/BB ratio. That's fairly valuable in the AL East. And certainly not something for 4 years we have laying around right now.

The concern with Juirjens is his health. I would like to know who the prospect was that Atlanta was offering. Not crazy about Edwin Jackson. Has always had good stuff but walks way too many. Decent middle to back end guy and less risk than dealing Jones for an oft-injured Juirjens. His BR comps don't get you too warm and fuzzy.

The thing I like about this is it sounds as if they are listening to offers. Maybe someone will make them the "wow" offer and get something done.

That was my thought as well. We're at least listening to offers for Jones and we're holding out for a better deal than Juirjens, Prado and a prospect. Which on paper isn't too bad and if DD did accept the offer I think the national media would have approved of the deal for both teams. Jim Bowden was pushing this idea last week. So that makes me happy we passed.

According to Dan Connolly the O's turned down a package of players for Jones.

Who was the pitching prospect? I think that's what really matters. It was probably Beachy or Minor. If they were willing to move Teheran/Vicziano/Delgado the O's look dumb for not taking that same deal. But it's very possible that pitching prospect wasn't even Beachy or Minor.

The concern with Juirjens is his health. I would like to know who the prospect was that Atlanta was offering. Not crazy about Edwin Jackson. Has always had good stuff but walks way too many. Decent middle to back end guy and less risk than dealing Jones for an oft-injured Juirjens. His BR comps don't get you too warm and fuzzy.

I'm also leery about moving anyone from the NL East to the AL East.

I'm also leery about moving anyone from the NL East to the AL East.

It also doesn't help me that I've never seen him actually pitch well when I've seen him on ESPN or Fox. His #'s are good. What would a 3.5 ERA and 1.3 whip turn into in the AL East? 4.00 and 1.4? Not worth it in my mind.

Archived