Connolly: O's turn down Jurrjens, Prado and prospect for Jones

33rdst

I am actually starting to warm to the idea of trading Jones. I would hope the O's would sign Cepedis (Yes I know I butchered his name). If you could get a deal like this but add an additional prospect I would do it. Sign the Cuban kid and sign Jackson to a reasonable 4 year deal. Then I would be okay with flipping Matusz, Reimold, Tillman and Avery to the Padres for 1B Anthony Rizzo. That would be a pretty nice offseason as far as I am concerned. We would have Deep Depth at pitcher:

Jurrjens

Britton

Arrietta

Floyd

Guthrie (Trade?)

Wada

Jackson

Hunter

Bergeson

lineup:

2B Roberts

SS Hardy

RF Markakis

C Wieters

DH Reynolds

3B Davis

LF Prado

1B Rizzo

CF Cepedis (sp)

Edit: I would also look into trading Reynolds and Guts for prospects.

Rizzo wasn't really blowing it away in the show last year.... I wouldn't want to give up that much for him. Maybe a 3-for-1 package with Matusz, Tillman, and X.

Has there really been any talk that we may get Floyd?? A lot of posters here have listed our potential starters and always have Floyd listed... I don't see it happening... Jackson > Floyd

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is a power pitcher who doesn't get a lot of K's but he does a good job of missing bats.

His walk rate in the AL has been subpar and being in this division, isn't going to help that.

His FIP suggests he is still a solid pitcher but not much more than #3 type starter and he is going to be into his 30s.

The idea of "he is better than what we have" so give him a bunch of money is a poor idea.

The Orioles need to be smart about how they spend their money.

I feel EJack is a better pitcher than Guthrie...but will the results be much different?

Oh...I'm not disagreeing that the Orioles need to be smart with their money but I don't think it is going to an ungodly amount of money to sign Jackson. And my "he is better than what we have" comment does hold some water. It is a shame that that comment is true but it is. I wouldn't want to give a 4 year contract worth a decent amount of money to a pitcher that is already in his early to mid-thirties but Jackson is only 28. You would also have to consider the fact that, as long as he stays consisten or possibly get better and not regress, he could be traded to a contender for a decent package I am sure.

Oh...I'm not disagreeing that the Orioles need to be smart with their money but I don't think it is going to an ungodly amount of money to sign Jackson. And my "he is better than what we have" comment does hold some water. It is a shame that that comment is true but it is. I wouldn't want to give a 4 year contract worth a decent amount of money to a pitcher that is already in his early to mid-thirties but Jackson is only 28. You would also have to consider the fact that, as long as he stays consisten or possibly get better and not regress, he could be traded to a contender for a decent package I am sure.

Peak age for the male athlete is 27. Now that we are out of the steroid era, he is more than likely at the beginning of a fall off. Maybe he has learned how to "pitch" better than just "throw". In that case he could actually improve, but his stuff is not going to get any better.

This got me thinking really had this morning. If the Orioles turned down an offer for Jurrjens, Prado, and a prospect for Jones, there are two options here that I can see:

1) They believe that they can get someone better than Jurrjens in a trade, and will go after a better pitcher

or

2) Dan Duquette is sticking to his word and not giving up Adam Jones, unless he is blown away of course.

My question is this, who does Dan think he can get via trade that would be better than Jurrjens?

If he can sign Jackson, and made the trade for Jones a rotation of:

Jurrjens

Jackson

Guthrie

Britton

Arrieta

would have been huge with depth coming from:

Wada

Hunter

Tillman

Matusz

Bergesen

This got me thinking really had this morning. If the Orioles turned down an offer for Jurrjens, Prado, and a prospect for Jones, there are two options here that I can see:

1) They believe that they can get someone better than Jurrjens in a trade, and will go after a better pitcher

or

2) Dan Duquette is sticking to his word and not giving up Adam Jones, unless he is blown away of course.

Or they just don't believe Jurrjens is all that good.

4 years for EJack would be idiotic. 3 is barely ok.

Gotta wonder who that other prospect was in the Jones deal. If it was one of their best young pitching prospects, they made a mistake on that one.

Even if you don't like Jurrjens a lot, you look to flip him to another team, keep PRado and the prospect and end up with 2 or 3 more players for Jurrjens.

If the Braves are motivated to make this move, the Orioles should be looking for a third team to take on Jurrjens and then make this a deal where they get Prado and 3 or 4 prospects.

If they are going to go this route than why not just ask the Braves for quality prospects versus JJ and Prado? The Braves have Minor, Delgado, Teheran, Viscaino. Why not ask for a package that included one of the top pitching prospects and Prado in addition to Andrelton Simmons and JR Graham as a PTBNL. It will be easier than getting a third team in the mix.

If they are going to go this route than why not just ask the Braves for quality prospects versus JJ and Prado? The Braves have Minor, Delgado, Teheran, Viscaino. Why not ask for a package that included one of the top pitching prospects and Prado in addition to Andrelton Simmons and JR Graham as a PTBNL. It will be easier than getting a third team in the mix.

I think they want to get rid of Prado and Jurjjens' escalating salaries.

Probably because Atl won't include those players.

Per Britt on Twitter:

Source close to #Braves negotiations tells @mlbbowman that Prado/Jurrjens werent offered for #Orioles Jones: http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2011/12/21/braves-did-not-offer-prado-jurrjens-for-jones/

Of course they say that.

And while it may be true, they don't want their players thinking they are trying to trade them even if they know they are.

See Lamar Odom.

Archived