Connolly: O's turn down Jurrjens, Prado and prospect for Jones

33rdst

If they are going to go this route than why not just ask the Braves for quality prospects versus JJ and Prado? The Braves have Minor, Delgado, Teheran, Viscaino. Why not ask for a package that included one of the top pitching prospects and Prado in addition to Andrelton Simmons and JR Graham as a PTBNL. It will be easier than getting a third team in the mix.

Exactly. I would much rather them start their offer with the likes of Beachy, Minor or Freeman and then take it from their. Jurrjens, Prado, and another prospect is very unimpressive to me.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vizcaino is more of a RP for me, he's a thrower more than a pitcher. Delgado has an arsenal like Matusz, but I think BMat is better, Delgado has a pretty good 2-seamer that would keep the ball down, but it sits around 89-90, so you run the risk that if it doesn't sink enough, or guys lay off it, he could get teed off on, 3 good pitches, but none of them really a PLUS pitch. Command is the key with guys like this, and I'm not 100% sure how consistent his is.

Beachy has some issues. The mechanics aren't great, real long stride for one. He also sits around 89-92 with a little bit of natural sink, but doesn't throw a true sinker like Delgado. His curve he throws two different ways, one with more control, but very hittable, and a harder version that's harder to hit but he can't control it much. He could be a back of the rotation guy, or he could get hit like a pinata in OPACY. Minor is kind of in the same boat, especially with them both being flyball pitchers.

Teheran obviously, is the real prize, but I don't see them trading him for Jones straight up, let alone in a package.

Which means that the Orioles shoot for the moon first and then "settle" for JJ, one of the pitchers listed and another quality prospect like Andrelten Simmons. I actually think that the Orioles trade Jones to the Braves before the start of the season.

Vizcaino is more of a RP for me, he's a thrower more than a pitcher. Delgado has an arsenal like Matusz, but I think BMat is better, Delgado has a pretty good 2-seamer that would keep the ball down, but it sits around 89-90, so you run the risk that if it doesn't sink enough, or guys lay off it, he could get teed off on, 3 good pitches, but none of them really a PLUS pitch. Command is the key with guys like this, and I'm not 100% sure how consistent his is.

Beachy has some issues. The mechanics aren't great, real long stride for one. He also sits around 89-92 with a little bit of natural sink, but doesn't throw a true sinker like Delgado. His curve he throws two different ways, one with more control, but very hittable, and a harder version that's harder to hit but he can't control it much. He could be a back of the rotation guy, or he could get hit like a pinata in OPACY. Minor is kind of in the same boat, especially with them both being flyball pitchers.

Teheran obviously, is the real prize, but I don't see them trading him for Jones straight up, let alone in a package.

I agree on Viscaino and his injury history concerns me which is why I would want JJ and him plus another quality prospect if I make the deal. We are not getting Teheran for Jones, he is the guy who highlights a package that the Braves would send to the Mariners for a Felix Hernandez type IMO. I want JJ, Minor and Andrelton Simmons personally.

I agree on Viscaino and his injury history concerns me which is why I would want JJ and him plus another quality prospect if I make the deal. We are not getting Teheran for Jones, he is the guy who highlights a package that the Braves would send to the Mariners for a Felix Hernandez type IMO. I want JJ, Minor and Andrelton Simmons personally.

I personally would want JJ, Delgado (risk/reward) and if we aren't going to get Salcedo, (or even if we do really) as a throw-in I'd like Terdoslavich I believe in the power, but the lack of defense makes him a DH candidate. That's just me though.

It is pretty unclear about that. But at least Duquette is targeting the right guys.
This from MLBTR: The Orioles wanted Jair Jurrjens, Martin Prado and at least two of Brandon Beachy, Mike Minor, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino and Randall Delgado. The Braves weren?t interested at that price, Crasnick writes. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore_orioles/index.html

What this tells me is Duq wasn't seriously entertaining a trade for Jones. That's way too much to expect to get for him.

Archived