Reynolds wants another crack at 3B

JTrea81

Are you people nuts? Did you see him play 3B last year? He is AWFUL. I would rather see Andino there.

Do we really need to do this again with the fact that his defense, in half a season, was twice as bad by every single measure as any full season in his career?

Do we really need to talk about sample sizes, specifically whether we should trust a half-season of data versus multiple previous seasons?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do we really need to do this again with the fact that his defense, in half a season, was twice as bad by every single measure as any full season in his career?

Do we really need to talk about sample sizes, specifically whether we should trust a half-season of data versus multiple previous seasons?

Uh, with the exception of 2010, hasn't he pretty much sucked, defensively, for his entire ML career?

This guy is the reason why DH was invented...he is one of the worst fielders in baseball history the orioles would be the dumbest team in the league to give him a game at the hot corner.

Guys like him out there is a big reason why our pitching was so bad last year, really really bad anyway but so much better than there ERA.

Mark is a DH pure in simple dont get me wrong tho I put him at first any day of the week over third, I mean him out there was embarssing.

This board really underrates D and so did AM last year, Mark has a helluva bat but he should not bring a glove with him to the park Idc how much playing third helps HIS value, it kills our team, our pitchers, and my eyes.

Our D was the worst in the league as was our pitching. Our 4.9 era would have been much closer to our 4.2 xFIP if our D was even close to average.

Buck dont be a moron DH Mark let him start at first once a month to shut him up.

He sucks in the field, sucks. I play a better third then he does so do you and my nonnie to.

He doesn't belong on our field Brooks Robinson should be ready to have a stroke watching this guy.

Please give our young pitching a chance, don't let this guy disgrace Brooks and our team DH or trade him thats it...We don't need a 7.5 million dollar replacement player sorry.

So people are going to let one year of defense when the guy admitted he bulked up too much and lost agility, decide his fate?

I say given the horrible 3B depth in MLB, the Orioles need to let this guy try to stick at the hot corner. He didn't cost them wins and his defense though marginal at best is not as bad as last year indicated.

I say given the horrible 3B depth in MLB, the Orioles need to let this guy try to stick at the hot corner. He didn't cost them wins and his defense though marginal at best is not as bad as last year indicated.

Haven't watched him before last year, but I'd say he was every bit as bad last year as the stats would indicate imo. 30 runs below average equates to a few wins (losses in this case).

I feel Reynolds could be a L.A. 1B. As a 3B I think you could expect him to be about a -8-10 RS. He is a 3.5 oWAR player. Which is better a -8-10 3B or a 01B AT 3.5 oWAR?

Depends how you look/believe in the positional adjustments and the opportunity costs for a third/first baseman. I like watching Reynolds hitting homeruns but I think he's a guy we should be looking to deal now. In terms of overall WAR, I think Andino could outperform Reynolds at third, if not come pretty close. Reynolds career numbers at third (UZR/DRS) are in the minus 10.5 to minus 13 run per 150 game range. That's where I'd estimate him to be in the near future.

So people are going to let one year of defense when the guy admitted he bulked up too much and lost agility, decide his fate?

He's had one anomaly of *good* defensive statistics over his entire career. His entire career shows a poor defensive 3B'man. Is he better than last year? Sure. But I don't think he'll ever be a good 3B'man.

He's had one anomaly of *good* defensive statistics over his entire career. His entire career shows a poor defensive 3B'man. Is he better than last year? Sure. But I don't think he'll ever be a good 3B'man.

If he can put up 2.5-3.0 fWAR at the position, he'd be above average.

He's better than Davis who is downright terrible there.

Antonelli's bat won't play there very well and Andino's certainly won't.

Think of him as the Orioles' version of Mark Bellhorn. A good placeholder until we can develop our own Dustin Pedroia for 3B.

If he can put up 2.5-3.0 fWAR at the position, he'd be above average.

He's better than Davis who is downright terrible there.

Antonelli's bat won't play there very well and Andino's certainly won't.

Luke can play a passable 1B. 'm just sayin'...

Luke can play a passable 1B. 'm just sayin'...

Luke isn't good enough to play 1B though. He'd wind up being another sub 3.0 fWAR player to add to the list.

Besides, the O's only want him back as a DH, and I think other teams will want him for the OF.

Archived