So much for Bill James

El Gordo

Yeah, I'm sure James isn't even answering the questions and you probably need to make it easier instead of using acronyms like BALTO and OPACY. Granted there is enough to piece it together with the names thrown in but you gotta make it as easy as possible for the reciever, otherwise it's gonna be discarded. Who even thinks about Baltimore or our players in the first place other than a relatively few diehards.
So if I referred to teams as: TEX, MIL, MIA, NYA, NYN, BOS,etc. Mr James would know exactly what I was talking about, but BAL would stump him? Whoever took the question just didn't bother to read it, or hadn't made it past kindergarten, IMO.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So if I referred to teams as: TEX, MIL, MIA, NYA, NYN, BOS,etc. Mr James would know exactly what I was talking about, but BAL would stump him? Whoever took the question just didn't bother to read it, or hadn't made it past kindergarten, IMO.

Yep, that'd be my guess. A better chance at least. Nobody really cares or thinks about the Orioles, let alone what BALTO and OPACY is. Why would they want to think about it when it's easier to move on to the next question. Maybe the guy gets paid for answering questions by quantity. Why would he waste time researching yours.

Yep, that'd be my guess. A better chance at least. Nobody really cares or thinks about the Orioles, let alone what BALTO and OPACY is. Why would they want to think about it when it's easier to move on to the next question. Maybe the guy gets paid for answering questions by quantity. Why would he waste time researching yours.

I disagree, but in any event, El Gordo says he has resubmitted the question. Let's seen if he gets a respectful answer, or any answer at all.

As a paying customer, I would expect a little more than a flippant response.

I disagree, but in any event, El Gordo says he has resubmitted the question. Let's seen if he gets a respectful answer, or any answer at all.

That's fine. You can disagree. I've always found that making communication simpler for the receiving side has always been a good rule of thumb in business and in life. It's just my opinion. Since I believe El Gordo pays to use that site, I don't think it's unreasonable that he should probably expect a more reasonable answer.

As a paying customer, I would expect a little more than a flippant response.

Yeah, I adressed that point with Frobby. I'm just taking it from the possible perspective of low level employee answering/screening the mail (and assuming it's not Bill James himself).

That's fine. You can disagree. I've always found that making communication simpler for the recvieving side has always been a good rule of thumb in business and in life. It's just my opinion. Since I believe El Gordo pays to use that site, I don't think it's unreasonable that he should probably expect a more reasonable answer.

While I won't delve into it any further, surely you don't really think that "BALTO" is obscure when used in a question to a baseball guy that also references Markakis and Jones. In any event, James didn't say that he didn't know what "BALTO" was, and I'm sure he knew that meant Baltimore. "OPACY" admittedly is more obscure, though IMO (which means, "in my opinion") I would think that someone of James' intellect would have figured it out considering the wording of the rest of the question.

P.S. -- the name of the feature is "Ask Bill," not "Ask Bill's Intern."

While I won't delve into it any further, surely you don't really think that "BALTO" is obscure when used in a question to a baseball guy that also references Markakis and Jones. In any event, James didn't say that he didn't know what "BALTO" was, and I'm sure he knew that meant Baltimore. "OPACY" admittedly is more obscure, though IMO (which means, "in my opinion") I would think that someone of James' intellect would have figured it out considering the wording of the rest of the question.

How do you know it was Bill James that even answered the email? Maybe they are screened.

Even if he did answer it himself, my point is still germane about clear communication. Not making an excuse for Bill James, but that's just the way things are when you're extremely busy. I've done and seen it many times. He may be time constrained and just didn't put it together because it wasn't easy. Yeah, maybe he's a jerk. If he is, he's a smart jerk and if you want something from him why give him an excuse to blow you off?

That's my experience. I completely understand if it's not yours Frobby.

If there was an Ask Drungo secton of the OH, and you had to respond to all the questions daily, how much of you time would that take up?

There is. You just have to wait until Jon Wilt has the time and chooses his moment. It's usually to end a thread. ;)

How do you know it was Bill James that even answered the email? Maybe they are screened.

Even if he did answer it himself, my point is still germane about clear communication. Not making an excuse for Bill James, but that's just the way things are when you're extremely busy. I've done and seen it many times. He may be time constrained and just didn't put it together because it wasn't easy. Yeah, maybe he's a jerk. If he is, he's a smart jerk and if you want something from him why give him an excuse to blow you off?

That's my experience. I completely understand if it's not yours Frobby.

If you look at the answers given on the site, it is pretty clear they are James's answers, not some underling's. He often gets off-topic; for example, there are some environmental issues he sometimes writes about in "Ask Bill." And the voice he writes in is pretty recognizable to anyone who has read the stuff James writes.

As to him being busy, I guess I've said enough about it. Like I said, let's see what answer comes back now that El Gordo has clarified what he meant.

Not the way to treat the people who are paying to subscribe to your website, IMO.

Keith Law would tell you that plenty of readers derive entertainment from seeing flippant responses to questions. I'm not saying that James, if deliberately shrugging off Gordo's question, is "in the right." But I assume there are plenty of questions that are asked and never answered. If James decided to choose one and use it as an attempt at humor, rather than answering it in depth, I guess I don't see the big issue. Frustrating for the asker? Of course. But asking the question doesn't guarantee an answer you'll like or appreciate -- even if you are paying for services.

If you look at the answers given on the site, it is pretty clear they are James's answers, not some underling's. He often gets off-topic; for example, there are some environmental issues he sometimes writes about in "Ask Bill." And the voice he writes in is pretty recognizable to anyone who has read the stuff James writes.

As to him being busy, I guess I've said enough about it. Like I said, let's see what answer comes back now that El Gordo has clarified what he meant.

It may be true that Bill answers all the questions on the site. Was El Gordo answered on the site or was it an email? That wasn't clear to me. Maybe the questions are screened and/or initally researched before James gets/answers them. Maybe James answered it and was being a jerk. I've made my points and you've made yours. We're probably not going much further on this, but feel free to have the last word. I understand that we disagree, and I hope El Gordo gets an answer.

Archived