Kyle Blanks

wildcard

He seems to be available after the Padres acquired Carlos Quentin. Blanks has 2 options left and he is 25 years old. His biggest problem is staying healthy. He is a buy low candidate. May fit with the O's as a DH/1B/LF that can be optioned.

From MLBTR.com

The trade appears to signal that Kyle Blanks isn't in the team's plans going forward, Krasovic tweets.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that would be a great move. We should be all over him. Wonder what it would take? I assume not too much, maybe Tillman?

The Padres have a big park, Some of the O's pitchers that are out of options and have to make the team out of ST might work - VandenHurk, Simon, or Bergy.

Tillman still has options. I would trade the other three before him.

The Padres have a big park, Some of the O's pitchers that are out of options and have to make the team out of ST might work - VandenHurk, Simon, or Bergy.

Anyone would. But the Padres wouldn't accept any of those three for Blanks. Tillman might be possible.

I like Blanks for 1b better than anyone we have currently. I think Reynolds should be the DH. But I think the Orioles will DH Robertsif he's available.

Blanks could try to make the team out of ST and be optioned if he doesn't make it. That leaves DH open for BRob if he is healthy.

Would you trade, I don't know, Nolan Reimold for Dana Eveland? Tillman might not even be enough but I think he'd be a good fit in San Diego and could have success in that ballpark and in the national league.

Anyone would. But the Padres wouldn't accept any of those three for Blanks. Tillman might be possible.

I don't know about that. It's not like Blanks is a sure thing. He is in many ways a lot like Chris Davis. Blanks has proven himself in the minors but hasn't done much in the majors in two years.......like Davis. Here is what the LA Times has to say about him this off season:

Kyle Blanks: At one point, Blanks—now 25 years old—was the indisputable future first baseman in San Diego.

But injuries crept into the landscape. He suffered from plantar fasciitis in ’09 and then blew out his elbow and had Tommy John surgery in ’10.

Blanks also had a position switch from first base to left field when it became clear that Adrian Gonzalez posed a serious roadblock at Blanks’ natural position.

He played at two minor league levels in 2011—AA and AAA—posting solid numbers at both levels.

Unfortunately, he hasn’t hit in three MLB attempts and has a career .219 batting average.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/975278-san-diego-is-an-upgrade-needed-over-anthony-rizzo-kyle-blanks-jesu

He has been injury prone.

Bergy could win 100 games for the Pads in that park in the NL. I agree that Tillman is a good match for the trade. I just think that he may be too much to trade. I would not write Blanks in as being able to make the O's 25 make rpster out of ST. I see him as depth that would probably get a shot during the year when injuries hit.

Would you trade, I don't know, Nolan Reimold for Dana Eveland? Tillman might not even be enough but I think he'd be a good fit in San Diego and could have success in that ballpark and in the national league.

No I would not trade Nolan for Eveland. But I don't understand what you are saying with the comparison. I am not against trading Tillman but I think he is valuable enough to get pitching in return. Because he has options they don't have to trade Tillman this off season.

I agree with you about Bergy. As for Blanks he's gotten less than 200 ABs each of his 3 seasons at he majors.Plus he needs to be put t 1B and left there.Im sure it's very possible he's had trouble adjusting to the outfield... Especially at 6'6" 270 lbs.

No I would not trade Nolan for Eveland. But I don't understand what you are saying with the comparison. I am not against trading Tillman but I think he is valuable enough to get pitching in return. Because he has options they don't have to trade Tillman this off season.

Well Simon and VandenHurk are dime a dozen guys like Eveland and Blanks is a power hitter in his mid twenties with some question marks. I don't think it would take a lot but Tillman isn't much of a trade chip anyway. I'd start Blanks at 1b every day.

Well Simon and VandenHurk are dime a dozen guys like Eveland and Blanks is a power hitter in his mid twenties with some question marks. I don't think it would take a lot but Tillman isn't much of a trade chip anyway. I'd start Blanks at 1b every day.

Banks is 24

Davis is 25

Banks has an OPS of 739 over 482 PA at the major league level with an OPS+ of 105

Davis has an OPS of 749 of 1082 PA at the major league level with an OPS+ of 94

In his MiLB career Banks has an OPS of 905.

In his MiLB career Davis has an OPS of 971.

What do you see in Blanks that makes you think he will be appreciably better then Davis?

Tillman isn't much of a trading chip NOW. However if he has a good three months even at AAA he will be worth a whole lot more. That option he has left and being only 24 could make him attractive to other teams. I just question as a high ball pitcher whether he will ever be a good pitcher in Camden Yards.

The thing about Simon and VandenHurk is that they too could be much better in the Padres park and they are cheap. At or close to the minimum. Bergy will be paid a million or more being arbitration eligible.

Banks is 24

Davis is 25

Banks has an OPS of 739 over 482 PA at the major league level with an OPS+ of 105

Davis has an OPS of 749 of 1082 PA at the major league level with an OPS+ of 94

In his MiLB career Banks has an OPS of 905.

In his MiLB career Davis has an OPS of 971.

What do you see in Blanks that makes you think he will be appreciably better then Davis?

Wow...remarkable at how similar they are. The only thing I can see different is that Blanks looks to be a bit more adept at walking.

Archived