Kyle Blanks

wildcard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What about, Reimold in LF, Davis at 3B, Blanks at 1B and Reynolds at DH? I would let Reynolds get nowhere near third base. It would be 1B/DH for him and since his 2013 option is around $11M he would likely be traded at the deadline for a quality prospect or two. I do not see Reynolds as anything more than a 2012 solution.

I don't want to hijack the thread to bring up an old argument, but I'm firmly in the camp that thinks Reynolds should remain at third. Moving him off of third after his career worst season defensively would not only be a reactionary move, but it would tank his trade value. His bat plays very well at third, even with below average defense, but no one is going to give up any value at all for a .800 OPS first baseman owed $11 million.

GoldGlove21, in the Jones thread you say you're in favor of trading Jones. Moving Reynolds to first is, strategically speaking, the equivalent of signing Jones to an extension. The move isn't necessarily going to hurt the team's on field performance, but the opportunity cost is very high. Since having Reynolds at third is going to have no effect whatsoever on whether the Orioles make the playoffs in 2012, it only makes sense to keep him at third to see if he can bounce back defensively and rebuild some value. If you want any hope of a "decent prospect or two," he has to stay at third.

I don't want to hijack the thread to bring up an old argument, but I'm firmly in the camp that thinks Reynolds should remain at third. Moving him off of third after his career worst season defensively would not only be a reactionary move, but it would tank his trade value. His bat plays very well at third, even with below average defense, but no one is going to give up any value at all for a .800 OPS first baseman owed $11 million.

GoldGlove21, in the Jones thread you say you're in favor of trading Jones. Moving Reynolds to first is, strategically speaking, the equivalent of signing Jones to an extension. The move isn't necessarily going to hurt the team's on field performance, but the opportunity cost is very high. Since having Reynolds at third is going to have no effect whatsoever on whether the Orioles make the playoffs in 2012, it only makes sense to keep him at third to see if he can bounce back defensively and rebuild some value. If you want any hope of a "decent prospect or two," he has to stay at third.

Your focus and DD's seem directly opposite. You want to maximize trade value; DD wants to win more games. He knows that the pitching has to do better for the O's to win more games. The defense has to help limit the number of batters that the pitchers face. I fully expect DD and Buck to build a team this spring the maximizes run prevention while putting a decent offense of the field.

Hoping that Reynolds plays at least below average defense at 3B is not something the O's management is interested in. They want better and the player of Reynolds, Davis, Andino, Antonelli or Flaherty that shows above average defense and decent offense is likely to be playing a 3B. That is the reason that Antonelli was acquired. I think he has an edge especially if the can offer both high OBP and above average defense at 3B.

I don't think you will see a below average defensive player at 2B, SS or 3B this year because the pitchers have to progress for the O's to meet any of their 2012 goals.

Wouldn't Blanks be redundant with Davis, Reimold, and Reynolds? I might be missing something here but I just don't see the need for this guy.

DD is adding depth to the O's system. Redundancy is depth when a player has 2 options left the way Blanks does. When players get injured or underperform having a Blanks at AAA to boost the team could make a big difference in how the O's play through a season.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bumping this simply because I really want Blanks and there's not much else to talk about. Even with Rizzo gone, they've got a logjam with Blanks and Alonso at first, and Carlos Q will be manning left field.

I still like the Tillman for Blanks idea.

Between Davis and Blanks, I think we'd have a decent shot at finding a solid future first baseman.

I'm bumping this simply because I really want Blanks and there's not much else to talk about. Even with Rizzo gone, they've got a logjam with Blanks and Alonso at first, and Carlos Q will be manning left field.

I still like the Tillman for Blanks idea.

Between Davis and Blanks, I think we'd have a decent shot at finding a solid future first baseman.

I sure would like to see that. I'd throw in Gregg and pay his salary as well.

ding ding. Once that happens or doesn't, a lot of dominos begin to fall.

fyi .....

update: The negotiations between darvish's representatives and the rangers are going well enough, tweets espn insider's jim bowden, that a deal is "going to get done," just not until the final hour on wednesday.

Signing darvish may push the rangers out of the oswalt market, since they have six starters already, which likely pushes matt harrison to the bullpen, or potentially the trading block

Archived