What's the most you would trade for Tex?

mweb

Many have been saying we should get Tex this offseason, however few have really said exactly what they'd offer to get it done. I've seen a lot of talk revolving around DC for Tex, however, I don't see DC being much more(and this might be generous) than halfway to getting Tex, so what else would be trading?

So lets see some realistic offers for Tex.

Remember that it has been reported that we were willing to trade Miggy for him and they countered with Miggy and Bedard.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
D. Cabrera                  D. CabreraG. Olson                    G. OlsonJ. Johnson                  R. LizC. SpooneM. Teixeira                 M. Teixeira6 - 10 prospect             2 - 5 prospect

I think a major obstacle to any trades would be that most of the prospects in the lower end of our top-10 are guys that were drafted this year and (from what I understand) can't be traded. Rowell, Beato and P. Figueroa.

Many have been saying we should get Tex this offseason, however few have really said exactly what they'd offer to get it done. I've seen a lot of talk revolving around DC for Tex, however, I don't see DC being much more(and this might be generous) than halfway to getting Tex, so what else would be trading?

So lets see some realistic offers for Tex.

Remember that it has been reported that we were willing to trade Miggy for him and they countered with Miggy and Bedard.

Bedard, or Cabrera and Benson. If Bedard we must get a contract extension; both mean we add quality $$$ pitching in addition to Tex.

Cabrera, Benson/Gibbons, and Liz/Olson for Teixeira and Benoit

Or would include both Benson and Gibbons if they prefer the second one of them over the prospect. Wouldn't trade Bedard for him unless he signs a very cheap extension ($10M per year) which isn't likely to happen.

For the salaries they are going to be making, I think Bedard will have more value over the next 4 years.

Why do you care if the extension is cheap? Reasonable, sure, but are you related to Peter? ;) The Orioles aren't hurting for cash- they'll be ok.

They still won't have a limitless amount of money.

Bedard for $6M a year for the next 4 years is more valuable to the team than Teixeira for $13-15M would be. If Teixeira is only making $10M, it gets a lot closer, and maybe in Teixeira's favor.

That said, I really doubt I'd move Bedard for Teixeira even straight up, unless Bedard makes it known that he won't sign an extension - which I don't believe is the case.

I hope we trade for Tex just because until he's a member of the Orioles we will be talking about how to get him on the Orioles.

I'm just like the rest of you. I want this guy to come home, and think he would have a huge impact on our future success. I would be willing to give up just about anything to obtain the guy although I would not trade Bedard, Markakis, Loewen for him.

JMHO but I wouldn't hesitate to trade Bedard straight up for Tex.

Cabrera + Ray would be an interesting offer.

I'd hate to trade Ray considering how badly the bullpen struggled this year. I'd consider going as high as Cabrera and Penn for Tex. I know that may be a lot, but you are getting a proven commodity for two unproven guys with potential. Trading those two would require us to sign a starter this offseason though. I'd also make sure Tex signed an extension before finalizing the trade.

This is such a good question and the answer MAY change if he were to sign an extension.

The only 2 guys i would be against trading for Tex would be Bedard and Markakis.

I would hate to trade Penn, DCab, Ray, Tejada, BRob or Loewen in a deal for him but i could be persuaded, in the right deal, to trade any of them for Tex.

Of the guys i just listed, Ray is the one i would want to trade the most if he was the focal point of a Tex deal. But i would not trade DCab or Penn, along with Ray, to get Tex.

We have him for 2 years. That's not a long time and to trade way too much for him for 2 years of his play is asking alot. However, if we could extend him immediately, that would change things for me.

I'd hate to trade Ray considering how badly the bullpen struggled this year. I'd consider going as high as Cabrera and Penn for Tex. I know that may be a lot, but you are getting a proven commodity for two unproven guys with potential. Trading those two would require us to sign a starter this offseason though. I'd also make sure Tex signed an extension before finalizing the trade.

I sincerely doubt Texas would accept Cabrera and Penn for Teixeira. What has this season done to Cabrera's trade value? It certainly hasn't helped it.

It'll take at least Bedard and a prospect to get Teixeira, and we'd be stupid to trade away our best pitcher. I'd just as soon sign Craig Wilson or whomever for first base and try to find a beast for the outfield rather than trade Texas whatever they're going to ask for Teixeira.

It's going to be a steep price, boys. One that I doubt we'll be willing to pay.

Archived