What's the most you would trade for Tex?

mweb

The real question is, what would Texas demand for him?

They apparently asked for Tejada and Bedard but had to know there was no chance of that happening.

I think the Orioles would give up Tejada for him but i also think the deal would need to be expanded in some way.

I also find it hard to believe that the Orioles will trade Bedard.

We heard a recent rumor that Texas wants a package centering around DCab.

What else needs to go with that package?

End of the day, we have no idea how much they value certain guys. They may value Liz over Olson or Penn(or vice versa). They may look at Britton or Hoey as a future closer and want them now.

They may look at CPat as a replacement for GMat or Gibbons as offensive replacement for the loss of Tex or Benson as a stabilizer in the middle of their rotation, especially if Padilla leaves.

So many ways this could go.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sincerely doubt Texas would accept Cabrera and Penn for Teixeira. What has this season done to Cabrera's trade value? It certainly hasn't helped it.

It'll take at least Bedard and a prospect to get Teixeira, and we'd be stupid to trade away our best pitcher. I'd just as soon sign Craig Wilson or whomever for first base and try to find a beast for the outfield rather than trade Texas whatever they're going to ask for Teixeira.

It's going to be a steep price, boys. One that I doubt we'll be willing to pay.

I think the answer to this is we don't know.

I know many(and rightfully so) are going to look at DCab's numbers, see some regression and say his trade value is low.

The other side to that is scouts love him....He has arguably the best stuff in the AL, is young, big and cheap.

So, we don't really know how teams view him right now.

Do they look at him and say his head is not on straight and he won't ever develop or do they look at his incredible stuff and feel he is right on the cusp?

I think some teams would look at him one way and some the other.

All we need, if we do in fact trade him, is hope that the team that wants him, is thinking the positive way.

I personally don't want him traded but would deal him for Tex. But there are only a few guys i would deal DCab for.

I know many(and rightfully so) are going to look at DCab's numbers, see some regression and say his trade value is low.

The other side to that is scouts love him....He has arguably the best stuff in the AL, is young, big and cheap.

Do they look at him and say his head is not on straight and he won't ever develop or do they look at his incredible stuff and feel he is right on the cusp?

All we need, if we do in fact trade him, is hope that the team that wants him, is thinking the positive way.

I personally don't want him traded but would deal him for Tex. But there are only a few guys i would deal DCab for.

Question for you, b/c I know you are a big proponent of Cabrera's...

Which pitcher would you trade first in a Teixeira package, Bedard or Cabrera?

Cabrera is a big fireball of potential. We have to hope Texas sees the glass half full as opposed to half empty. If not, perhaps we could involve a third team that does. You know at least a handful of teams would love to take a stab at straightening him out.

I surely don't dimiss Cabrera's trade value based on one year of slight regression. As SG said he may have the best pure stuff in the AL. If he can ever keep that stuff in and around the strike zone, watch out.

I tried to relate Cabrera and Penn to Santana and Aybar. Santana has a little more value than Cabrera, but I think Penn has a little more value than Aybar. It isn't perfect, but I kind of see Santana/Aybar = Miggy = Tex = Cabrera/Penn. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's ballpark.

This season has undoubtedly lowered Cabrera's value. The same questions about him remain and he's now a year older and a year (or part of a year) closer to free agency.

I still think his value is quite high, especially if he has a dominant start or two at the end of the season, but it certainly is not as high as it was last offseason.

I'd hate to trade Ray considering how badly the bullpen struggled this year. I'd consider going as high as Cabrera and Penn for Tex. I know that may be a lot, but you are getting a proven commodity for two unproven guys with potential. Trading those two would require us to sign a starter this offseason though. I'd also make sure Tex signed an extension before finalizing the trade.

If you got Tex for DCab and Penn and signed Soriano you could trade Tejada for the pitching.

This season has undoubtedly lowered Cabrera's value. The same questions about him remain and he's now a year older and a year (or part of a year) closer to free agency.

I still think his value is quite high, especially if he has a dominant start or two at the end of the season, but it certainly is not as high as it was last offseason.

This is the key Mackus. Let's say, for example, that last year the Rangers would have traded us Tex for DCab straight up(not saying this is true, just throwing it out there).

So, lets say now they ask for DCab and Benson.

So, yes maybe Cabrera's trade value is down some but has it dropped to the point where you need another top prospect or 2 to get a guy like Tex? The answer to that is we don't know.

We can hypothesize all we want but at the end of the day, there is alot of reason to think that teams would still love to get their hands on DCab and that they would trade alot for him.

This is the key Mackus. Let's say, for example, that last year the Rangers would have traded us Tex for DCab straight up(not saying this is true, just throwing it out there).

So, lets say now they ask for DCab and Benson.

So, yes maybe Cabrera's trade value is down some but has it dropped to the point where you need another top prospect or 2 to get a guy like Tex? The answer to that is we don't know.

We can hypothesize all we want but at the end of the day, there is alot of reason to think that teams would still love to get their hands on DCab and that they would trade alot for him.

Well, this is a tough example because Teixeira's value has dropped a lot as well.

I certainly agree with you that Cabrera is still a commodity, and should be viewed as such. However, I do think that we'll have to add another solid player or good to very good prospect in order to get Teixeira in return for him.

If you trade Bedard for Tex, YOU BECOME TEXAS, and what has plagued them for 10 years now plagues you!

I love Tex, but Bedard, Loewen, Ray, Miggy, Ramon, Roberts and Kakes should stay to play with him.

I like Penn, Olsen and D-Cab, but it takes talent to get talent. Gibby and Benson could also go in this trade (though I like them both).

I would offer CPat, Benson, & Cabrera. I don't think Benson & Cabrera gets it done alone.

Assuming Cabrera is the focal point of the trade, in what order, highest to lowest, are the values of the following guys (all who have been mentioned):

Penn

Ray

Benson

Gibbons

Patterson

Liz

Olsen

Feel free to add anyone who may be involved. I'm wondering if the differing opinions are due to Tex's value or the value of our players.

Honestly slowly I grow tired of all those Tex threads. Every single day there's a thread Tex here and Tex there- it's getting a little boring.

Plus to think the Rangers would settle for anything less than Tejada + ??? or Bedard + ??? is unrealistic and also shouldn't be what the O's should be doing.

The bottom line for me is that the Orioles don't have enough talent in the organization.

Our focus needs to be on bringing in more talent, not on shuffling some of our talent for some other team's talent. Tex is a valuable commodity, and if we have to give up fair value for him we will just be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The only trades we should be making are those where we can expect to come out ahead on talent, either because we are willing to take on a bad contract (Pat Burrell?) or because we have good reason to believe are buying low and selling high (the Corey Patterson trade, or SG's proposed Kris Benson for Morgan Ensberg trade).

I'm curious, would people be willing to go as high as Cabrera, Penn, and Gibbons for Tex and Benoit? Personally, I don''t know.

I think if we can get him for Cabrera, Benson, and Gibbons we do it. Cabrera and Penn? Probably do it. There are certainly a lot of options and I'm sure we have enough where a deal can be reached. However, if we do trade for Tex, we are most likely going to have to trade Tejada to the Angels, IMO.

Archived