How Biggio's last season helped and hurt his HOF case.

mweb

By the way, don't you think guys like Bagwell would be adamant, adamant to the point of trying to get on every ESPN-type of show to say he never took steroids if he never did? I'm not just talking about the typical denial we read occasionally from these guys, but I an outrage that his hard work was done naturally and not with PEDs? I find a lot of player's quietness on the issue pretty damning as well. It's like the Dad's who go on National TV and ask people to find their wife who's been missing for a week, yet the husband doesn't look too emotional about it. 99 times out 100 they are arresting the guy for murder within a month.

I see where you're coming from but no one likes an athlete who begs and pleads. We've seen so many athletes say they're innocent of something when they turn up guilty in the end. Hell, maybe Bagwell did 'roid and doesn't want to draw attention to himself only to have some clubhouse attendant go on a radio show about how he delivered PED's to Bagwell.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty much with you. I used to be staunchly against them getting in, but now I don't care who gets in amongst those that used. I'm not opposed to someone like Bonds or Clemens having to wait a few years, though.

Jaffe does some serious number crunching on the next few years. Thinks Biggio will make it.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/the-possible-upcoming-cooperstown-ballot-apocalypse/

His predictions for the next few ballots

2013 Biggio

2014 Maddux and one of Glavine/Thomas

2015 Johnson, maybe Pedro

2016 Griffey and a backlog guy like Thomas

It is startling the names coming up for enshrinement. It is one of the reason I have been saying that Moose isn't a shoo-in

2013- Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling, Sammy Sosa, Kenny Lofton and David Wells.

2014- Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas, Mike Mussina, Jeff Kent, Luis Gonzalez and Moises Alou

2015- Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, John Smoltz, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Delgado and Nomar Garciaparra.

Even I see at least 9 HoF members there.

One of Glavine/Thomas? How could you have either/or? Glavine might be the last 300 game winner, Thomas was a monster. Both are very deserving.

How could he say maybe Pedro? Pedro never had any PED ties and what he did against the juiced up competition was ridiculous.

One of Glavine/Thomas? How could you have either/or? Glavine might be the last 300 game winner, Thomas was a monster. Both are very deserving.

How could he say maybe Pedro? Pedro never had any PED ties and what he did against the juiced up competition was ridiculous.

Did you read the whole piece?

His theory is that the influx of hall worthy names plus the backlog which is already forming because of PED use is going to cause a backlog where, due to the high number of worthy candidates, folks that would normally get in easily will fall short.

He even cites an historical example.

In no way does he suggest that he thinks that Glavine, Thomas or Pedro are not worthy of induction.

PS- Randy Johnson won 300 games after Glavine did.

McGriff is boderline. I really like the guy, I mean he played with heart and hustle but his numbers don't demand him being in the Hall of Fame.

I think McGriff was quietly great for a long time, without the obvious spikes in HR totals that scream steroids.

The guy had a 15 year stretch where he averaged 60 XBH per year. According to baseball-reference.com, his Hall of Fame Monitor is at 100 as a likely HOF, and Hall of Fame Standards are at 48, with 50 being a likely HOF.

I'll agree he's hugging the line, but considering the era he's coming from, I wouldn't be against McGriff getting in.

I think McGriff was quietly great for a long time...

I don't think you can really describe McGriff as great, not unless you define great as including the top 50 or 75 players at any given time. McGriff had one six-win season, three 5+ win seasons, and five 4+ win seasons. He's tied for 14th in 5+ win seasons among first baseman since 1980. He's tied for 5th (again, among 1B since 1980) in 4-win seasons.

He was a good player, but he has a lot of peers who're more qualified who aren't in the Hall yet. I'd rank him behind both Keith Hernandez and John Olerud.

Archived