HHP: Do you agree with DD not handing our young pitchers automatic spots in the rotation?

ChaosLex

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's yoru criteria for the fight it out spot? ST numbers? If you were Buck what would you be looking for?

Time to home plate of course...

Buck's going to time each one, and the "fastest five" will get the rotation spots.

Tillman, Hunter and Matusz should be so ripped after working out with Brady, they'll have to be careful not to throw it through Wieters' glove

Given the inventory we've built this offseason (and the poll I posted, which indicates most of you think we're not done on this front yet), it'd seem some of our young guns won't start the season in Baltimore as they have in years past. Either that or they'll start the season in the bullpen.

Do you support this idea?

No poll? This might have been the most lopsided one ever. Why would you NOT support this idea? You always want to make players work as hard as possible to earn a spot, not be Felix Pie'd a starting job.

Hangouter Highlighted Post. That means a link to this thread appears on the Orioles Hangout front page.

We will be doing this a lot more in the 2012 season. Basically we look at all our Hangouters as bloggers. You just choose to do it on our message board. The ones we feel are the best or spur the best conversation will go on the front page as well. It's all part of making each of you more and more a part of our site/community.]

It's also worth 25 rep points when your thread/post is selected.

We will be doing this a lot more in the 2012 season. Basically we look at all our Hangouters as bloggers. You just choose to do it on our message board. The ones we feel are the best or spur the best conversation will go on the front page as well. It's all part of making each of you more and more a part of our site/community.]

It's also worth 25 rep points when your thread/post is selected.

Sounds cool.

No linky to the "Is the Hottie Draft Dead" thread? :rofl:

Surprised no one in this discussion is differentiating between "creating competition" and "blocking young players". They are two separate issues, each of which could be argued to be at play in this instance.

Its like what I said earlier today...there is a difference between depth and just having a lot of bodies.

Right now, the Orioles have a lot of bodies but they don't really have depth...The problem is, those bodies appear to be ahead of the real talent.

Its like what I said earlier today...there is a difference between depth and just having a lot of bodies.

Right now, the Orioles have a lot of bodies but they don't really have depth...The problem is, those bodies appear to be ahead of the real talent.

Let's not act like any of the bodies we added will block one of the young guys if they are pitching well. None of the guys we added are large dollar amount players that we would avoid moving to the bullpen.

I rather have the bodies that we currently have than the bodies we've gone after in the past. I'm thankful we didn't go after a Millwood type for the rotation or sign a couple expensive bullpen guys.

The only two guys that you could say right now are probably definite starters are Guthrie and Chen, and I would say that Britton more than earned a starting spot. Tell me exactly who is going to block Matusz, Tillman and/or Arrietta? You don't think if they feel these guys are ready they will start them over Eveland/Hunter/Simon/Wada?

The only two guys that you could say right now are probably definite starters are Guthrie and Chen, and I would say that Britton more than earned a starting spot. Tell me exactly who is going to block Matusz, Tillman and/or Arrietta? You don't think if they feel these guys are ready they will start them over Eveland/Hunter/Simon/Wada?

I don't know...DD has talked about Eveland being an innings eater(which is laughable). They gave Wada 8M and we have no idea what kind of agreement they gave him. Hunter is also a guy that should be an innings eater.

So yes, I could see them going with those guys until they fail.

I don't know...DD has talked about Eveland being an innings eater(which is laughable). They gave Wada 8M and we have no idea what kind of agreement they gave him. Hunter is also a guy that should be an innings eater.

Aren't those the exact things you would say if you wanted guys (Britton/Matusz/Tillman/Arrietta) to come in ready to win a starting job? I don't think we should assume anything at this point until we see how things start shaking out. I don't see Buck as the type manager who is going to keep someone as a starter just because they can throw some innings and/or because of how much money they make.

Based on what we know so far about Double D, I don't believe he has given anyone any guaranteed spots. Every time he is interviewed he talks about how he is giving Buck players for him to use. Just my take on it.

Archived