Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BEcause this really means a lot. :rolleyes: He had 194 ab's and only 71 from JUne 1 until the end of the season. He had injury issues I believe. So really, his first 123 ab's(in April and May) were what killed his OPS...He was young and struggled early in his ML career...Gee, that never happens!

I'm not writing Ayabar off because of what he did in the majors last year. In fact I'm not writing him off period but he WILL NEVER be an 800+ ops guy in the majors. Obviously I'm not Nostradamus but I feel very confident in predicting that.

His CAREER MiL OPS is 810..Which is what I said. In 2005, he posted a 795 OPS at AA at age 21...He had almost 50 XBH...That is not a bad AA season for a 21 y/o. The following year, 2006 in AAA, he was brought up to the majors...He started off the season off very well...Then he was brought up to the majors and barely used. He was terrible in the month of August, partly due to not playing I am sure.

So then I guess I was wrong in assumming you were better than projecting a player based on thier #s in the low minors. He's put up an ops over .800 twice in his career over extended abs: Rookie ball and high A. Color me unimpressed. You can try to justify it for him however you want but it's plain as day to see: As he's moved up the ladder his bat has gotten worse and worse, particularly his power, culminating in his .740 ops in AAA in 06 and his .570 ops in the bigs last year. The Angels would be downright fools to start him 150 games next year as SS if they really intend to win thier division (well, with Oakland rebuilding, Texas being Texas, and the Mariners not being as good as they played last year they probably will anyway). He might one day grow into a .750 ops guy with a good glove and thus a solid ss, but he won't be close to that next year.

http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/pl/430/430947SalPCLb06.html

Yea because players never improve any aspect of their game as they get older and get better coaching. :rolleyes:

This is the same as with his poor plate discipline. Could it get better? Sure. Is it LIKELY to get better? I don't think so, at least not enough to make him some all-star.

I'm not writing Ayabar off because of what he did in the majors last year. In fact I'm not writing him off period but he WILL NEVER be an 800+ ops guy in the majors. Obviously I'm not Nostradamus but I feel very confident in predicting that.

I think he could hit for an 800 OPS but I think placing him in the 750 range, give or take 25 points in either direction is a safer bet.

So then I guess I was wrong in assumming you were better than projecting a player based on thier #s in the low minors. He's put up an ops over .800 twice in his career over extended abs: Rookie ball and high A. Color me unimpressed.
And a 795 OPS in AA at a young age...Funny how you keep glancing over the age aspect.
He might one day grow into a .750 ops guy with a good glove and thus a solid ss, but he won't be close to that next year.
Maybe, maybe not...Of course, no one is predicting him to do that in his first full year in the majors.

My goal is to reach 50,000 posts before you get back...:D

I may be going out on a limb, and I don't have your sources, but I'd say the chances of us trading Tejada to St. Louis for Mr. Pujols are greater than your chances of hitting 50K by the time the great one returns from AC! :D

I may be going out on a limb, and I don't have your sources, but I'd say the chances of us trading Tejada to St. Louis for Mr. Pujols are greater than your chances of hitting 50K by the time the great one returns from AC! :D

Not only is it not likely. It is impossible with the 30 sec time limit.

I agree. I just figured out I can't post one letter at a time so I guess I'm in trouble.:D

Archived