Philly still interested in getting Mora...

Black & Orange

Seems like Philly is focused on adding pitching this offseason, but maybe they'd be interested in swapping Adam Eaton for Mora. Eaton and Mora have pretty similar contracts.

Curious if folks would rather...

a) swap Mora for Eaton (or someone like Eaton),

b) swap Mora + $10M for a low-level prospect,

c) just keep Mora.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like Philly is focused on adding pitching this offseason, but maybe they'd be interested in swapping Adam Eaton for Mora. Eaton and Mora have pretty similar contracts.

c) just keep Mora.

I'm guessing we would want a mid-level prospect, not Adam Eaton.

I'm guessing we would want a mid-level prospect, not Adam Eaton.

Even if it means eating a bunch of dough?

In this pitching market, Eaton probably has some value to the teams considering 4 or 5 year, $40M commitments to the likes of Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva.

Even if it means eating a bunch of dough?

In this pitching market, Eaton probably has some value to the teams considering 4 or 5 year, $40M commitments to the likes of Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva.

Thats my thought, but obviously I have no idea. The payroll will be lower this year, assuming they rebuild, so I don't see why they wouldn't eat some money to do a better job of rebuilding.

c) just keep Mora.

Isn't Eaton a FA? Rotoworld has his contract status as 2007: Free Agent...

Isn't Eaton a FA? Rotoworld has his contract status as 2007: Free Agent...
Adam Eaton p

3 years/$24.51M (2007-09), plus $9M 2010 mutual option

* signed as a free agent 11/06

* $1M signing bonus

* 07:$6.875M, 08:$7.635M, 09:$8.5M, 10:$9M mutual option ($0.5M buyout)

* incentives: $0.25M for 200 IP, $0.25M for 220 IP each year

* 1 year/$4.65M (2006), re-signed 1/06 (avoided arbitration)

* 2 years/$5.25M (2004-05)

o 04:$1.925M, 05:$3.325M

o re-signed 1/04

* 1 year/$0.35M (2003), 3/03

* 1 year/$0.28M (2002) 2/02

* 1 year/$0.235M (2001)

* drafted 1996 (1-11)

* agent: Jim Lindell

* ML service: 6.125

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/philadelphia-phillies_18.html

Eaton is a bad idea...If he was a FA this year, I wouldn't mind it but the idea is to get rid of Mora's contract.

I would rather eat half the money and get one or 2 mid level guys than take on Eaton.

I have no problem taking a guy like Loaiza for this year in hopes he can do something but I don't want some overpaid Marquis or Eaton or someone like that for the next 2 years.

They need to pull the trigger on this as soon as an offers made. Normally I'm ok with MacPhail being patient and getting the most from clubs but with Mora's demand to be on the East Coast the market for him is very small. Get what you can and run. This will definitely be addition by subtraction.

Archived