Starting five predictions.

33rdst

Service time concerns? I do not see Britton starting in AAA when he could serve as a starter and possibly push guys like Wada and Eveland to the pen.
He got his necessary time in AAA, last season when he went down in July. Chen and Britton are in the rotation OD barring injury. Guthrie as well if he isn't traded. Every thing else is up in the air IMO.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am going to put 2 starting 5's out there because i do believe that the club will sign edwin jackson still. i think they will get him for 3 years.

with jackson..... 1)guthrie, 2)jackson, 3)chen, 4)wada, 5)galaraaga........ without jackson..... 1)guthrie, 2)chen, 3) wada, 4) hunter, 5) galaraaga.

they got a solid minor league signing in galaraaga. honorable mentions.... britton, matusz, arrieta. i also believe early in the season you will see one or 2 of these guys get some starts as chen and wada have yet to pitch every 5th day because over seas they only pitch once every 7 days so look for the orioles to use more of a 6 pitcher rotation for the beginning of the season.

Roch says that Bergesen has one more option year. Good news, considering I don't think he would have been a good choice for the OD roster. He's got good potential, but has to learn some consistency. Would much rather that he makes the team because of performance than fear of losing him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/prospects-and-other-notes.html

Also, Brad Bergesen assumed that he was out of minor league options, but it turns out that he has one left. If the Orioles don't trade him - and he brings a certain appeal to other clubs - and he doesn't find room in the bullpen, he could be part of a crowded rotation at Triple-A Norfolk.

Roch says that Bergesen has one more option year. Good news, considering I don't think he would have been a good choice for the OD roster. He's got good potential, but has to learn some consistency. Would much rather that he makes the team because of performance than fear of losing him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/prospects-and-other-notes.html

This is very good news. I still hope he pitches well enough to make the Opening Day squad, but it's nice to know we don't have to force his way onto the squad in order to avoid a waiver claim.

Roch is the first person I've heard say that Bergesen still has an option year. Interesting. That definitely puts him in a bind.

As for Strop, who also has an option, I wonder if they demote him too?

In 23 games with Baltimore and Texas, Strop posted the following numbers in 2011:

2-1

4 Holds

2.05 ERA

1.14 WHIP

22 IP

15 H

5 ER

0 HR

10 BB

21 K

His numbers are not just good, they were very good. He was even better for the Orioles.

2-0

.73 ERA

.89 WHIP

12.1 IP

8 H

1 ER

0 HR

3 BB

12 K

That young man did enough for a spot to be his to lose IMO. I think that he is the highest upside arm in our pen.

I'm going to go beyond the starting five and project the entire staff. I think Showalter comes out of ST with 12 pitchers (although, since the O's lack potent bats off the bench, 13 is not out of consideration).

SP: Guthrie

SP: Britton

SP: Wada

SP: Matusz

SP: Arrieta

RP (Long): Chen

RP (Long): Hunter

RP (Middle):Simon

RP (Middle): Bergesen

RP (Middle): Eveland

RP (Setup): Gregg

RP (Closer): Johnson

I labored over Chen vs Wada in the rotation. My projection has Matusz as healthy and productive. Because of this, one of the Chen/Wada is pushed out of the rotation, and I picked Chen. I think his stuff translates better to a relief role. He's essentially a 2-pitch pitcher who can throw more gas than Wada. Wada has more pitches, better command, but a soft-tosser. I think his stuff translates better to the rotation.

Eveland makes it as a MR/Lefty guy, but could easily be a long man/spot-starter.

In 23 games with Baltimore and Texas, Strop posted the following numbers in 2011:

2-1

4 Holds

2.05 ERA

1.14 WHIP

22 IP

15 H

5 ER

0 HR

10 BB

21 K

His numbers are not just good, they were very good. He was even better for the Orioles.

2-0

.73 ERA

.89 WHIP

12.1 IP

8 H

1 ER

0 HR

3 BB

12 K

That young man did enough for a spot to be his to lose IMO. I think that he is the highest upside arm in our pen.

Agreed. By the end of the season last year, Strop became Showalter's go-to setup man after JJ became the closer. Option or not, the only way Strop doesn't make the Opening Day roster is if he completely implodes in spring training.

Archived