Nestor & Flanny speak on rally

ex-man O

I'm going to the game, and, as much as I would love to see a Ripken-Geppi-Mason buy-out plan, I won't participate in this protest.

With the exception of that narcissistic jerk Aparacio (and that weird subset of people who root for the Ravens and against the Orioles as though they are rivals) I don't object to anybody protesting in this fashion. I hope it works the way that many people here are convinced it will.

Still, for my part, I worry that this will only stiffen Angelos' legendary stubborness, make agents think that the Orioles will be more desperate and more willing to overspend, and add one more way for the national media to mock the franchise.

To boot, and this may seem apathetic or whimpy to some, I would like to be able to enjoy baseball as a *diversion* from a world of conflict, acrimony, and, yes, "Nastiness" (weak pun intended).

Finally, though I agree that Angelos has been a terrible owner in almost every respect, I think the real problem is with the financial system governing MLB and with the decision to disperse talent through ill-considered expansion teams. Those aren't galvanizing issues like an incompetent and arrogant owner, but I feel they have a lot more to do with the Orioles' recent losing history.

Again this is all just my two cents. I think the protestors have a right to do what they're doing, and I hope it works, but I'll be sitting this one out.

Go O's.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the whole idea on Nestor's part is silly and childish. He just likes attention, which he is getting unfortunately.

I truly believe that Angelos is uncomfortable with losing. He may have different perceptions or attitudes about some things than what the rest of us have, but I really think he wants to win. That's not to say that I'm happy with him all the time -- far from it.

You couldn't pay me $100 to walk out on the Orioles in protest.

The problem I have, and I believe Flanagan has. Is that you go to a baseball game to watch a team, not an owner. By watching an hour of a game, and then leaving the game no matter what you say it's going to look like you are protesting the team.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke

You know, there's a very strong argument that suggests this quote is bogus, that Burke never said it. Scholars have traced it as best they can, and they can't seem to find any documentation that supports Burke ever saying, or writing, this quote. Just an FYI.

On topic, I doubt you'd see Cubs fans doing something like this.

Originally Posted by Moose Milligan

Funny how some of the haters on here thought this wouldn't get any press coverage at all.[/Quote]

Haters? If you don't think the protest is worthwhile you're suddenly a "hater"? :confused:

I think everyone is entitled to an opinion as to whether this is a good idea, bad idea, worthy, worthless, etc..... and while you may have cast your dissent in the mature manner we would expect from you, that hasn't always been the case on this subject, from both sides, the current comment included.

I think the whole idea on Nestor's part is silly and childish. He just likes attention, which he is getting unfortunately.

I truly believe that Angelos is uncomfortable with losing. He may have different perceptions or attitudes about some things than what the rest of us have, but I really think he wants to win. That's not to say that I'm happy with him all the time -- far from it.

If he really wants to win, he's got a damn strange way of showing it.

What I fear is that this "protest" will become the face of the franchise, sort of like those New Orleans Saints fans from years ago who wore the paper bags on their heads. Those bags became the image of the franchise for years.

Such images do not help the franchise become better. Walkouts that encourage fans to stop supporting the team do not make the franchise better.

This walkout is all about Nestor Aparacio getting attention and fueling his personal agenda against one man. It has nothing to do with make the Orioles winners again, and if it does, it's totally misguided.

Do you believe they are potesting the players or the owner? That's a pretty simple question isn't it? Give people, and the players, some credit.

It's a simple question, but what sounds more jucier to the National Media if they cover this thing. Orioles fans protest Angelos at the Yard today or Orioles fans protest Angelos and Team by leaving an Hour after the game?

If this is going to get National Media coverage then we have to accept the fact that the cause of the walk-out is probably going to be exaggerated some.

Meaning exactly what it says. Cubs fans have had way more suffering and agony over their team then we'll ever know. And while they might have been quick to sacrifice a poor nerdy guy to the baseball gods recently, that seems to me the exact opposite kind of "fanaticsim"(sp?) shown by Nestor's grand scheme.

You know, there's a very strong argument that suggests this quote is bogus, that Burke never said it. Scholars have traced it as best they can, and they can't seem to find any documentation that supports Burke ever saying, or writing, this quote. Just an FYI.

On topic, I doubt you'd see Cubs fans doing something like this.

Um ok ? :confused:

Well, SOMEBODY said it, and whoever did say it, they had a good point.

If he really wants to win, he's got a damn strange way of showing it.

I said what I believe. You can have your own opinion without acting like mine is stupid.

You can disagree with Angelos all you want, but sometimes he's turned out to be right in his frugality. And you may recall there was a day when the Orioles were near the top in payroll. Who was the owner then?

Angelos deserves as much blame as anyone for nine straight losing seasons. But treating him like a scapegoat and effectively burning him in effigy solves no problems.

The Cubs are known as "The Lovable Losers". Cubs fans accept losing. Orioles fan shouldn't. Managers, free agents, VPs of BO come and go, but to paraphrase Terrance Mann, "the one constant Ray is Angelos".

I don't think Cubs fans accept losing at all. I mean honestly who accepts losing????

Cubs fans just love their team, and are going to support them no matter what. That doesn't mean they accept losing, that means they are good fans.

Archived