• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well Weams is exaggerating a bit, but Fielder doesn't get us to where we need to be. We win a few more games, at best, but we remain at the bottom of the barrel. DD is doing the right things, on the right side of the talent spectrum. Get good personnel in place, work on scouting and development, conditioning, and start to build a winner. Don't throw gobs of money at what will be one piece of a nothing team.

Not really so much. We are a middle small market club. Tampa won't sign him. Our resources would be very small for quite a while if we get the Large Royalty. We won't spend 125 a year, so it really WILL cripple the budget to sign him.

And I exaggerate for EFFECT!

I won't, and unlike Harold Reynolds, I do not think he wears them three sizes too large. And I will be glad to watch him play. And I will be sad that we are not going to get better until his contract is over.

Are you the guy who everytime we acquire a player wonders what we can get for him at the trading deadline? You get better one step at a time. Fielder would be a good first step. If Fielder plays like he has in the past and Chen turns out to be what we hope for I would think the team would be improved next year.

I am almost scared to post this after what happened to a guy recently, but I have heard some interesting stuff about Prince Fielder and Baltimore.

One of my connections in the world of journalism - who works for a Southern California small press/weekly paper in the San Diego/La Jolla area - knows I am a big time Orioles fan and she sent me a note saying that one of her friends who works on a national sports beat at another site claims that Fielder's reps and the Orioles have been meeting regularly.

This might not be "news" to some, but it could be a sign that things may heat up in the next few days or next week.

Again, feel free to disregard this if need be.

So... why isn't this person reporting the "news"?

What would stop them? Oh, I don't know, maybe a porous defense, a shaky starting rotation and an inadequate bullpen, to go along with the lack of a leadoff hitter or many on base threats throughout the lineup.

That said, if the Orioles sign BOTH Fielder AND Edwin Jackson I will concede that they might be able to win 81 games next year, if things break right for them.

So with all the additions of Chen, Wada, Antonelli, Flaherty, O'Day, Miller, Chavez, Fielder and Jackson and the subtraction of Pie, Reyes, Berken, Tillman, Matusz, Bell etc., you think we'll only gain 12 wins at best from the W-L record?

The W-L record was not a measure of true talent of this team. They were brought down by a lot of sub-replacement talent.

Well Weams is exaggerating a bit, but Fielder doesn't get us to where we need to be. We win a few more games, at best, but we remain at the bottom of the barrel. DD is doing the right things, on the right side of the talent spectrum. Get good personnel in place, work on scouting and development, conditioning, and start to build a winner. Don't throw gobs of money at what will be one piece of a nothing team.

First of all, let me be clear in that I DO NOT think we will be signing Prince Fielder. I also agree that Fielder added to the 2012 team does not make us contenders, not by a long shot. However, if in some way Fielder is signed by the Orioles, I do think he could be part of a contending Oriole team in the near future if DD continue to build during the season and next offseason. Prince Fielder is only 27 and still has some good years left, IMO. Will he be productive for the length of a contract he signs with Baltimore? Highly doubtful despite the fact that he could DH before it runs out. I do worry about his body holding up.

I have very little doubt that the Orioles are staying in touch with Boras on PF. I am sure they have interest in Prince at the right price. I do not expect them to sign him, but I think they would like to at about 7/140. I don't think that will get it done, and I think he will sign elsewhere for a good bit more than that. Just my opinion. But I would love to sign Fielder for that kind of a deal.

It's that line of thinking that needs to stop.

Why can't the Orioles win with Prince Fielder? What exactly would stop them?

This team does not have to be the Rays to win.

Let's stop wallowing in the "Orioles suck" mentality and start demanding and expecting a winner now.

Of course the O's can win with Fielder…. as long as they get him at the right price.

First of all, let me be clear in that I DO NOT think we will be signing Prince Fielder. I also agree that Fielder added to the 2012 team does not make us contenders, not by a long shot. However, if in some way Fielder is signed by the Orioles, I do think he could be part of a contending Oriole team in the near future if DD continue to build during the season and next offseason. Prince Fielder is only 27 and still has some good years left, IMO. Will he be productive for the length of a contract he signs with Baltimore? Highly doubtful despite the fact that he could DH before it runs out. I do worry about his body holding up.

Even if we are not contenders having weiters and fielder actually make us have a couple of star players at their positions.

Are you the guy who everytime we acquire a player wonders what we can get for him at the trading deadline? .

No actually I don't. But thanks.

When we are 20 out of first place at the All Star break, I do look for long term improvements though.

It is possible that we are in aperiodic discussions with Boras about one or more of his clients not named Fielder (e.g. Damon), but a blogger fom San Diego knows best. ;) Carry on with the same talking points that have been made 1,000X or more in the past couple months. *yawn*

The main stream media supports your theory.

Archived