Some notes from Fanfest

Frobby

Buck and Dan:

Buck - if you know Dan, I have a feeling he's not done

Dan -have to be patient about BRob

Dan - seems a bit skeptical about Machado staying at SS

Buck -

I hane a good feeling about Nolan this year. I want Nolan to be the LF

Dan - downplays Fielder but says he wants to acquire a high OBP guy with power for middle of the order.

Buck - I'm dying to have a player I can call Prince. But I like what we have. Don't sleep on Chris Davis.

Dan - focused on OBP. Thinks Antonelli will have good OBP and Flaherty may too. Still looking for a few players

Buck - JJ probably in the pen

Dan - wants strong scouting of local talent as well as international.

Dan - our player development will be as thorough and diligent as any team in the big leagues. Player development is my strength.

Buck - plans on Reynolds at 3B and Davis at 1B. Reynolds wants to play 3B and is better than he showed last year and has lost 18 pounds this winter and is working hard. Davis is an above average 1B and Buck isn't sure his shoulder would hold up over a season at 3B.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Frobby. Can you expand on why he thinks Machado at SS is doubtful.

I would guess it's the fact that he's relatively slow footed and has the type of frame that should fill out around the hips and trunk over the next 2-3 years.

But I would like to know if Duquette went into more detail than that. You have to figure that if he's expressing skepticism it's because guys in player development have led him to feel that way. He often admits to never having seen some guys on the 40-man roster play. I doubt he's caught Machado in action.

For SG: I asked Nick if he noticed that he hits better when his hands are low and why he switches so much. He said it4 a comfort thing and he just goes with what's comfortable at the time. He said no matter where his hands start you have to get them to a power position. I think he was surprised at the question (and doesn't agree with you).

For SG: I asked Nick if he noticed that he hits better when his hands are low and why he switches so much. He said it4 a comfort thing and he just goes with what's comfortable at the time. He said no matter where his hands start you have to get them to a power position. I think he was surprised at the question (and doesn't agree with you).

Love some confirmations on how Hunter, Matusz, etc. look after Brady's regimen. Thanks for the updates!

Not to sound rude but there is nothing a player dislikes more than when a fan tries to tell them "how they hit better." I have been around a few players (current) in social situations and their reponse after the fan leaves is usually something like STFU or "yeah that's why that guys watching me on TV." It's one thing to think it but another to ask him. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

This is the best thing I've read all day. :rofl:

Not to sound rude but there is nothing a player dislikes more than when a fan tries to tell them "how they hit better." I have been around a few players (current) in social situations and their reponse after the fan leaves is usually something like STFU or "yeah that's why that guys watching me on TV." It's one thing to think it but another to ask him. Just saying.

I think you are right that he was a little irritated. But I did it because I love SG so much. ;)

Was "Don't sleep on Davis" a direct Buck quote because I think it should absolutely be illegal for white men of Showalter's age to use terminology such as "Don't sleep on" in fact this year or probably 3 years ago, I myself became too old for such vernacular.

Those jive turkeys making me mad!

Was "Don't sleep on Davis" a direct Buck quote because I think it should absolutely be illegal for white men of Showalter's age to use terminology such as "Don't sleep on" in fact this year or probably 3 years ago, I myself became too old for such vernacular.

My notes say "keep your eye on Davis.". So I misquoted him.

• Upvote 1

Your follow up question should have been..do you watch tape of yourself?

Anyone who has consistently watched Nick hit, knows this to be true.

Also, when Nick is coming out of slumps and is hitting better, his hands are almost always lower and you hear guys like Thorne and Angel talk about how they spoke to Nick and that he just feels real comfortable right now.

Your follow up question should have been..do you watch tape of yourself?

Anyone who has consistently watched Nick hit, knows this to be true.

Also, when Nick is coming out of slumps and is hitting better, his hands are almost always lower and you hear guys like Thorne and Angel talk about how they spoke to Nick and that he just feels real comfortable right now.

Yes...I don't quite understand his line of thinking. It's been brought up here almost every season. If WE can pick up on this, you'd think he'd pick up on it.

Melewski elaborates on DD's Machado comments:

Duquette was asked about Manny Machado: "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Manny needs a little bit more seasoning. Our people believe he's going to be a good, everyday major league player. He'll have a good bit and he'll hit for power. Is he going to be a shorstop? He'll decide that."

On Dominican talent:

Duquette's answer when asked about signing Dominican players: "I love Dominican players. I know their value and they are fearless and like to compete. Believe me, we will have our team well-staffed with good Dominican players. Why didn't I sign any yet? Just give me more time. We will have some very good and talented Dominican players for you to come out and see and we we'll sign some young ones too that will be big-time players."

On Fielder:

Duquette was asked about the Orioles chance to sign Prince Fielder: "Do you think he would look good in Camden Yards? I don't know about that one, but I do know if you have a staple in the middle of your lineup it's a lot easier. Are we going to get him? I don't know. But if we don't get him, we'll look for somebody like him and we'll certainly do our best to give you guys some stars players that you can identify with."

LINK