Some notes from Fanfest

Frobby

A couple of other funny moments, now that I'm home and can type at length.

Palmer told a story of how his first year playing for Weaver, he was charting the opening game for Cuellar. Cuellar had thrown 135 pitches when he gave up a leadoff single in the 9th. Carew, Oliva and Killebrew were the next three hitters. Palmer got up from one end of the bench and walked to the other end and said to Weaver, "Uh, Skip, Cuellar has thrown 135 pitches." Weaver spat back, "Go back to the other end of the bench and sit down. I'll decide when Cuellar is tired!" So Palmer goes back to the other end of the bench, and it's a freezing cold day and he can't wait for the game to be over. Carew grounds into a double play and Oliva pops out and Palmer rushes for the door to the clubhouse. But Weaver runs over, intercepts him and says, "And now you know what I think about pitch counts!"

This story was in response to a question about what our pitchers need to do to go deeper into games. So then Palmer gets serious and says, "There are two things our pitchers need to do to go deeper into games. First, work on their conditioning. Two, pitch better!"

The other funny moment, which I can't really replicate in a post, is that Tom Davis asked Mike Bordick if he's looking forward to being in the broadcast booth. Bordick responded in this semi-Vin Scully impersonation: Well, Tom, I've been working on my MASN voice!" It was a dead-on sterotypical announcer voice, and he cracked up the room.

All in all, it was a fun day. I'm always heartened to see how many people are passionate enough about the team to come out to the Convention Center in the dead of winter. It makes me feel I'm with "my people." And, I answered a trivia question and got an 8x10 autographed photo of Adam Jones, and got to ask questions to Markakis, Wieters and Berken. Saw several OH'ers there, and got my fill of optimistic talk from the GM, manager, coaches and players. Spring training can't come soon enough!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of other funny moments, now that I'm home and can type at length.

Palmer told a story of how his first year playing for Weaver, he was charting the opening game for Cuellar. Cuellar had thrown 135 pitches when he gave up a leadoff single in the 9th. Carew, Oliva and Killebrew were the next three hitters. Palmer got up from one end of the bench and walked to the other end and said to Weaver, "Uh, Skip, Cuellar has thrown 135 pitches." Weaver spat back, "Go back to the other end of the bench and sit down. I'll decide when Cuellar is tired!" So Palmer goes back to the other end of the bench, and it's a freezing cold day and he can't wait for the game to be over. Carew grounds into a double play and Oliva pops out and Palmer rushes for the door to the clubhouse. But Weaver runs over, intercepts him and says, "And now you know what I think about pitch counts!"

This story was in response to a question about what our pitchers need to do to go deeper into games. So then Palmer gets serious and says, "There are two things our pitchers need to do to go deeper into games. First, work on their conditioning. Two, pitch better!"

The other funny moment, which I can't really replicate in a post, is that Tom Davis asked Mike Bordick if he's looking forward to being in the broadcast booth. Bordick responded in this semi-Vin Scully impersonation: Well, Tom, I've been working on my MASN voice!" It was a dead-on sterotypical announcer voice, and he cracked up the room.

All in all, it was a fun day. I'm always heartened to see how many people are passionate enough about the team to come out to the Convention Center in the dead of winter. It makes me feel I'm with "my people." And, I answered a trivia question and got an 8x10 autographed photo of Adam Jones, and got to ask questions to Markakis, Wieters and Berken. Saw several OH'ers there, and got my fill of optimistic talk from the GM, manager, coaches and players. Spring training can't come soon enough!

Thanks Frobby for all the Fanfest quotes and such! I was not able to make it and this thread helped with the blues that has been unavoidable due to my tragic absence. Much appreciated!!!

Hunter and Arrieta are moving up my favorite Orioles list quickly.

Thanks for posting these updates BTW for us out of towners.

Here's where I insert that cliche about must spread rep around. Which is obviously much better than what Ryan Braun was allegedly spreading around.

Got ya covered, from one out of towner to another

Forgot to mention that weams told Eveland he had a friend who thought the trade for him was stupid. But followed up with a question about how he had changed his game last year.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where he is on Letterman and George bumps into Corbin Bernsen back stage and tries to tell him about a script he has....

One of the funniest things I saw all day was when some guy came up to Jai (pernounced 'Jay', while I honestly thought it was 'Jah') with a picture of who he thought was Jai in the minors for him to sign. Jai was just like 'Uhhh, that's not me'. Talk about an awkward moment.

Best moment I saw all day. Jai again. Kid was having a ball signed. Jai was the first of four. Jai was going to sign the sweet spot on the ball, and the kid said something about all 4 signing it, he didn't care where anybody signed it, he just wanted all 4. The kid said something like, 'you can sign the sweet spot'. Hardy was a part of that group and Jai said he wouldn't sign the 'sweet spot' on that ball... class act.

***Actually the funniest thing I saw all day was something a coach said to me, but I'll keep that one to myself ;)

Outstanding anecdotes. Thanks much. I really wish I could attend this event in the future. How big of a plan do you have to buy to go?

I second that emotion - really means a lot for us Floridians. At ten this AM (before I went out and played golf) I was hungry also for anecdotes like these and the video including Frobby! Thanks to all who were there and to all who commented! Bravo!

Outstanding anecdotes. Thanks much. I really wish I could attend this event in the future. How big of a plan do you have to buy to go?

You don't need any plan to go. Season ticket holders get a free pass and they get in at 10 and get to attend a Q&A with Duke and Buck or get a head start on other things. The general public gets in at 11 and the tickets cost $11 I think. Duke and Buck do another Q&A in the early afternoon that ends up being highly reiterative of the first, so attending the early Q&A isn't really a big deal. All the other panels occur after the public has come in. There's a lot of other stuff to do, especially for kids, plus the autograph tables. But at this point I just like to hear the panels and get psyched for the season.

You don't need any plan to go. Season ticket holders get a free pass and they get in at 10 and get to attend a Q&A with Duke and Buck or get a head start on other things. The general public gets in at 11 and the tickets cost $11 I think. Duke and Buck do another Q&A in the early afternoon that ends up being highly reiterative of the first, so attending the early Q&A isn't really a big deal. All the other panels occur after the public has come in. There's a lot of other stuff to do, especially for kids, plus the autograph tables. But at this point I just like to hear the panels and get psyched for the season.

Plus the clubhouse tour!

Guest rochester

Frobby - just as impressive is you taking the time and effort to make us feel like we were there. Fantastic and thank you!

Archived