Some notes from Fanfest

Frobby

Forgot to mention that weams told Eveland he had a friend who thought the trade for him was stupid. But followed up with a question about how he had changed his game last year.

His answer was wonderful in light of how Duquette commended him as someone who had learned how to pitch last season.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Being on the other side of the country, it's unlikely I'll be making it to Fanfest any time soon. That being said, ever since I started visiting the OH, the Fanfest threads are always the trigger for getting psyched about the upcoming season in earnest. Many thanks to all the folks posting their experiences.

His answer was wonderful in light of how Duquette commended him as someone who had learned how to pitch last season.

Did you actually use the word "stupid"? I'm sorry...just seems like an extremely insensitive way to phrase a question to a stranger, albeit a professional athlete. I realize I'm missing context, which is why I'm asking.

You phrased the question well. Eveland seems like a good guy, but perhaps a little less ambitious than some of the others.

I just love Hunter's personality. He's got a ton of charisma, a good sense of humor, and I sense some leadership skills there. I'm picking him for a breakout season.

It's not like an organized tour. They let you wonder around in designated areas and do your own thing (with supervision), so you can take as little or as much time as you want.

Here is a link to an album of photos I took today on the tour:

http://imgur.com/a/qhm9R

Great great shots! Nice one of you in the dugout with the new cap! Thanks for sharing!

Frobby - ballpark figure... how many fans do you think attended today? I'd be very curious. Thanks!

I got there to work a little before one, went to park in lot C and was directed around M&T to another lot because it was full. Walking up, lot B looked just as full. Those two alone can hold a couple thousand cars.

Frobby - ballpark figure... how many fans do you think attended today? I'd be very curious. Thanks!

This article says turnout was strong. Says a lot considering the weather and the Football game tomorrow. But I'm sure Frobby, Sammy and others could give a better visual.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/sports/local/strong-turnout-for-orioles-fanfest/article_e9be027e-bc18-5a31-82f0-649f8253c6bc.html

Pretty similar to last year, I'd say about 10,000 people or so. Considering that there was more optimism last year after the way that season finished, I was impressed with the crowd today. This team has a core fan base that is pretty strong.

By the way, MASN has numerous video interviews from today up on their site, here: http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?q=orioles Check out the one on Matusz, it's long (6:31) and you get a good sense of his mindset coming into this year.

Pretty similar to last year, I'd say about 10,000 people or so. Considering that there was more optimism last year after the way that season finished, I was impressed with the crowd today. This team has a core fan base that is pretty strong.

By the way, MASN has numerous video interviews from today up on their site, here: http://www.masnsports.com/index_medialounge.php?q=orioles Check out the one on Matusz, it's long (6:31) and you get a good sense of his mindset coming into this year.

Thanks, Frobby! That is quite impressive. I was thinking it would be in the 2,000 - 5,000 range but never count out the O's. FanFest is something I would love to bring my future children to. Just don't know if I'd have fun on my own, especially since I am like the only O's fan in my group of friends. They all turned from the O's to the Nats when they came into town.

What was Eveland's reaction to the question about the stupid trade?

He did not really address that my friend felt the trade for him was stupid, he did, however go with my continuation that a very smart baseball man, Mr Duquette stated that he had learned to pitch last year. He told the story of how he himself felt that was true and what the experience of pitching in Albuquerque was like. All in all, it was a classy answer to the question.

I didn't get to the event until later in the afternoon, almost 3 if memory serves me right. My intention was to take light rail, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the track was not cleared well, and under no circumstances was I going to hop around on buses to get downtown. A few thoughts and experiences from today:

1. From what I saw of the sportswriters forum, I enjoyed it. I know some people aren't that enamored with Amber or Britt, because they don't think they attack the team as much as they should. But, considering some of what we've had to put up with in this area, both male and female, but specifically Jen Royle, these two ladies are incredibly bright and know their stuff. They take their jobs seriously, they're personable, and they genuinely seem to enjoy what they do and the jobs that they have. I'm not saying they're perfect, but we should consider ourselves as sports fans lucky to have them around.

2. I hung around for the first segment of the infielders forum. Reynolds has lost about 22 pounds, according to him, and I believe it. He looked a bit more defined, even from a distance. Chris Davis is a big guy, especially up in the shoulder area. Apparently Robert Andino is a film buff, and in typical Andino fashion he had on a Miami Heat hat with a flat bill.

I actually was selected to ask a question during the Q&A, and I started by asking Andino if we could get him to Foxboro tomorrow since he's such a Boston killer. He said something to the effect of whatever you want to be I'll do it. My question and his comment actually got a decent laugh from the crowd, and every time the O's beating Boston in the last game came up the audience had a great response.

I asked JJ Hardy if he had any preference on where to hit in the lineup, since he started out in the #9 spot last year, but had to play leadoff a lot, and where he felt most comfortable. He said that him and Wieters talked before the season that they were going to be the best #8-9 hitters in baseball last season, but of course for several reasons that didn't happen. He said that he'll bat wherever Buck wants him, but he really isn't comfortable in the leadoff spot because that's not the type of hitter he is, and he said Buck's aware of this and jokingly said that Buck most enjoy tormenting him by putting him there. It was great to hear straight from JJ that he recognizes the type of player and hitter he is, and what his weaknesses are.

3. I was in the autograph line for Dempsey, Antonelli, Chris Davis, and Wieters, and I asked Antonelli where he thought he would play this year. He said he didn't know, but he'll play wherever they want him. Matt seemed like a really nice guy, who genuinely seemed to be happy at the event, and enjoyed just having an opportunity to be at the big league level.

4. I was in the line with Markakis and Brady, and I saw Nick when he came in not long after I got there. I couldn't gather anything from observation how the recovery was going or if his range of motion was being effected. He looked to be about the same physically, but I wouldn't trust my word on that very much. I asked him in his autograph line how the recovery was going and he said it was going well so far. Not where he wants to be, but he's doing fine.

5. I kind of butchered my question to Brady. I welcomed him back and was asking/saying something along the lines of getting these guys into shape. His response was classic Brady, mixed with both confidence and "I'm ready to leave" sentiments:

"They're in shape."

I will gladly take his word for it.

Archived