Connolly says 7yr/140 "still beyond the comfort level" of the club

accinfo

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-the-latest-on-prince-fielder-and-the-orioles-20120123,0,6528810.story

Is the 20 million per year or the 7 years that "are beyond the comfort level" of the club is the question I would like to know the answer to. I get the number of years. Angelos probably doesn't want to commit to over 5 years which I can't blame him for a guy who future conditioning is in real question. I would love to see the Orioles offer him 5 years at more per year then he is being offered like 5 years/$110 million. Every club wastes 2 million on ball players that won't work out so over paying for him is worth the risk. Beyond 5 years I can see not taking that chance. Even if he only has 4 very productive years you have made out. Signing a Prince Fielder makes fiscal sense. They will most a surely make up most of or all of the 20 or so million per year in ticket sales/merchandise, etc by having a high profile player like Fielder on the team. It seems like no one wants to offer a firm contract because they are afraid to insult Boras by not offering enough years.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It doesn't matter if 7/140 is beyond the team's comfort level or not...he isn't going to sign here for that anyway.

It will take 7/160 or 8/180...something along those lines.

I don't know. The reports are saying that nobody is willing to go beyond 5 years right now. If we offer 7/140-150, I would think there is a good chance that gets it done.

He's only 27. He could still be strong in 7 years. If not, you eat a couple years and hope he makes up for it in the years before that. Offering long-term like that is the best way for a team like the Orioles to land him.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-the-latest-on-prince-fielder-and-the-orioles-20120123,0,6528810.story

Is the 20 million per year or the 7 years that "are beyond the comfort level" of the club is the question I would like to know the answer to. I get the number of years. Angelos probably doesn't want to commit to over 5 years which I can't blame him for a guy who future conditioning is in real question. I would love to see the Orioles offer him 5 years at more per year then he is being offered like 5 years/$110 million. Every club wastes 2 million on ball players that won't work out so over paying for him is worth the risk. Beyond 5 years I can see not taking that chance. Even if he only has 4 very productive years you have made out. Signing a Prince Fielder makes fiscal sense. They will most a surely make up most of or all of the 20 or so million per year in ticket sales/merchandise, etc by having a high profile player like Fielder on the team. It seems like no one wants to offer a firm contract because they are afraid to insult Boras by not offering enough years.

LOL 7/140 gets it done

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am sure the Os are at 7/125

I just wonder if Angelos is ok with Fielder signing with anyone as long as it is not Washington. Someone has surely told him that DC has an exciting young team and adding Fielder could make them really good for some time. This in return has to have a negative impact on the O's, regardless of the TV deal.

This could be a Albert Belle situation. Belle was not the right player for the O's but Angelo's at the time refused to let the Yankees sign him which was the reported rumor at the time. That could be why we are in the Fielder sweepstakes this long. Everyone assumed Texas or another team would swoop in and give the Boras camp what they want but the team most willing to make the best offer is DC. Maybe Angelos refuses to let that happen.

Angelos has gotten over losing players to the Yankees but DC may be a different story.

5 years at $30 million per year is what the Oriole should offer. No opt out needed and Prince could easily get another contract that would satisfy his longterm financial goals.

So you'd offer him $10 million more and have him for two fewer years? That makes, like, no sense.

If the Os aren't comfortable with 7/140, why are they even bothering?

Do we even know that they are bothering? Most of our best local sources continue to beat the same drum - if the price comes down to their comfort level, they'll be interested. I don't get the feeling that we're actively pursuing him here.

Archived