Connolly says 7yr/140 "still beyond the comfort level" of the club

accinfo

I can't believe people are really hung up about what this guy is going to be like at 34 or 35. That's not even that old.

If they can get him for 6 or 7 years at $20M per they have to pull the trigger.

I really can't see any way I'm getting excited about this team if they don't make a significant move before spring training, and I'm not what I would consider a casual fan. How many casual fans are going to care?

Attendance is going to be putrid.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is posturing. Duquette clearly doesn't want to be used as a negotiating tool for Boras to extract more money from DC so of course he isn't going to set a price for what the Orioles are willing to spend.

Besides, apparently no actual offers have been put on the table yet, just insane suggestions from Boras about an 8-10 year deal.

I still don't think we sign him though.

Give the guy $28M for 4 years... $112M ($20M deferred, if needed). This will sign Fielder, IMO; exceed his annual comp. request; give him an out to earn more @ 31.

This is the direction the O's should go, if they really plan on competing. Otherwise, they are going to have to give up some of the top MiL guys down the road to add this value to the MLB club (positionally speaking). Four years also happens to meet Wieters Oriole clock...fWiW

I can't believe people are really hung up about what this guy is going to be like at 34 or 35. That's not even that old.

If they can get him for 6 or 7 years at $20M per they have to pull the trigger.

I really can't see any way I'm getting excited about this team if they don't make a significant move before spring training, and I'm not what I would consider a casual fan. How many casual fans are going to care?

Attendance is going to be putrid.

Curve2.jpg

Two things immediately jump out from this graph:

1) Heavy players peak a few years earlier than average players

2) Heavy players fall off the map once they are on the wrong side of 30

Fangraphs: Ryan Campbell: How Will Prince Fielder Age

Beyondtheboxscore: Jeff Zimmerman: Hitter Aging Curves

If the years are such a concern, would'nt be possible to fit a physical clause into the contract. Not a medical physical but something along the lines of an agility test each year around the start of year. If he can't meet the physical expectations then include a buyout clause. Fielder gets his years and the O's get some security.

I think 7/140 is a smart deal. I mean, if we were offered that deal and declined, I call that stupid.

Boras never offers. He only takes bids. Shops them, call the Yankees and offers them a last shot. Then invents a mystery team to outbid you.

Fielder is a fresh example, when it comes to comp's, IMO. He's floated up and down from an .870 to a 1.0+ OPS 1B, while offense continues to decline as a whole (PF in 2011 = a .981) OPS.

I would guess his low OPS is around .850 with the Orioles in 2012 (changing leagues). Wieters should bat 5th in this situation.

Give the guy $28M for 4 years... $112M ($20M deferred, if needed). This will sign Fielder, IMO; exceed his annual comp. request; give him an out to earn more @ 31.

This is the direction the O's should go, if they really plan on competing. Otherwise, they are going to have to give up some of the top MiL guys down the road to add this value to the MLB club (positionally speaking). Four years also happens to meet Wieters Oriole clock...fWiW

That's the creative solution...I just don't see how much it helps us. I don't think we have the payroll to buy a contender on top of the flimsy core we have in place, and paying Fielder more in the short term just makes it more difficult. If Fielder takes us from, say, 78 wins to 83, we still need at least 10 more from some other source.

I'd love to do it. I'd love to sign Fielder and Edwin Jackson for 7/140 and 4/40. I think there's potential surplus value in both deals. I just don't think we will - and there's a very good chance that those moves backfire on us. The joy of a zero sum game. :D

Jen Royle tweet said that Buck is trying to get Angelos to open up for Fielder. I think he would prefer the Nats if money was close to equal.

If Royle tweet is accurate, and that's a big if, then Buck is getting some excellant exposure to life under the employment of Peter Angelos this offseason, not to mention the LaCava ordeal.

That's the creative solution...I just don't see how much it helps us. I don't think we have the payroll to buy a contender on top of the flimsy core we have in place, and paying Fielder more in the short term just makes it more difficult. If Fielder takes us from, say, 78 wins to 83, we still need at least 10 more from some other source.

I'd love to do it. I'd love to sign Fielder and Edwin Jackson for 7/140 and 4/40. I think there's potential surplus value in both deals. I just don't think we will.

Always seems to be the kicker with this team...Of course, when it comes to these types of contracts.... Tex's is looking more like a bad example. For the Yankees it is doable (they won a WS), but for the O's?

Archived