Now it's REALLY over...Prince to Detroit

connja

Does anyone know the revenue's generated (even/including posthumously (10, 20, etc... years from merchandising sales)) from winning a world series. Is it enough to justify throwing away 20-30% of a team's payroll in future years. Maybe that is what the Tigers are partly banking on? Otherwise I don't understand that contract at all...aging owner and all...

Drungo offered an undocumented amount in a prior post here of about $30 mil per year over a number of years.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TS-Prince-Fielder-large.jpg

Show me the Burgers.

This was actually news at his press conference.
Fielder did want to debunk one thing: Back in 2008, he talked about becoming a vegetarian, but that apparently didn't last long after all the commotion.

"I'm not a vegetarian," he said. "I was, for like three months."

source - ESPN

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Twitter is a dumpster fire.  I'm not sure why you'd wanna be there, it's a bunch of people pissing in the ocean and thinking they're special.
    • I will continue to predict that he's traded for cash or PTBNL, to some outfield starved team with no good CF options. 
    • It's opening day for my team, the Baltimore Orioles, and I'm so excited. The team has a new owner, a real Oriole fan who grew up in Baltimore...the club has some fantastic young players and they will be there for a few more years...the ballpark will be filled today..and the fans too will be filled with anticipation of another great year. But the ONE person who wont be there is the ONE person who would have loved it more than just about anyone. This is the first year in my baseball life that Brooks Robinson wont be here, and it still weighs heavy in my heart. Brooks passed last last September 26 at the age of 86. Everything I loved about the game was embodied by that man. He was the best the game had to offer. A man of personal warmth, optimism, incredible skills in the field, congeniality, but also, he represented everything that was good and right about the game. I'd like to reprise a story I wrote about the time Brooks stayed at my home for a weekend with his son, Brooks David, and another Orioles legend, Jim Palmer. When Brooks and his son Brooks David came into my house, a house decorated in Orioles memorabilia..I didn't want to embarrass him by making it look like it was a shrine to him, but I also have to be who I am. I didn't take many things down. Instead of feeling embarrassed, Brooks seemed to look at my collection with wonder and joy. Brooks Robinson is perhaps the most beloved person I have ever known in my life...and not because he worked at it...but precisely because he DIDN'T. He didn't "dish". Didn't do "snark", and would never ever have told stories out of school. Perhaps most of all, thats why people loved him. As great a player as he was, with 16 Gold Gloves, he never ever pulled any kind of rank..never ever felt entitled to anything. Class isn't something you "work at". You have it, and your manner dictates it...class people never talk about themselves...never use their name as a third person. In all the years I knew Brooks Robinson, it never occurred to him that he was BROOKS ROBINSON.. I could say so many things about that weekend of his visit, but some thoughts are matters of the heart...mine..so I'll keep most to myself. But I will share one intimacy.at one point at dinner one night, It was time to toast my friends, and toasting Palmer was easy and funny...but then I turned to Brooks and said this: "I want you to know, and you do, how much I love you, and cherish you, and you must know, you are my hero, and always will be". I then started to cry. Brooks looked at me and said"I love you too Roy, and always will". Then Brooks David looked at me and said something that made me feel like a million bucks. "Roy, I love YOU, because you love my dad." The weekend was so joyous and warm and wonderful, and Palmer kept it light with hysterical banter. But the love was everywhere. We all attended Frank Robinson's memorial on that Sunday, and Brooks was asked to speak about Frank: 'Frank was about winning, and when when we won with him, we won something more than baseball games...we won as people..just knowing him was a win..I'm a better man from having known him", he said. Then we went back to my house. Brooks slept in MY bedroom. I slept in my guest room. The King gets the best room, the best bed. I wouldn't have it any other way. That Sunday, I dropped Brooks and Brooks David off at the airport. Palmer drove back to his home in his brand new car. When I returned from the airport, I was left alone in my house, and took a deep breath. My childhood heroes were my house guests that weekend, and every moment, every second, was cherished by me, and it won't ever be forgotten. I was introduced to becoming a sportscaster directly because of Brooks. He was my first interview when I was just 14. But far more than that, he was an inspiration. He was a man of character and generosity, and grace, and he specialized in human decency. I have never met a more decent and beloved person in all my life. How I carry myself in life came from my parents, and Brooks. I only hope I served them well. The house was quiet now, but the weekend my home was alive with memories, laughter, and a ton of love. As I dropped the Robinson's off a the curb.. we hugged tightly, and Brooks walked away to the counter. My eyes got misty again as they disappeared. You never know about life. You never know how much time you have left with people you dearly love. Nothing is guaranteed for anyone. So I was so deeply satisfied and grateful that our time that weekend was so very well spent, and the words were spoken, not kept away or protected. My God, how wonderful a life I've had. So many joys, so many experiences. This weekend ranked right near the top. To borrow Brooks' line about Frank..."Im a better man for having known them". Rest well, Brooks, I'm not sure about heaven..none of us really are...but if there IS one..you get a pass for eternity. Watching Opening Day today will be wonderful, but for me, it will be a bit empty and yes, a tad sad. Its the first Opening Day without Brooks in close to 70 years. I owe him so much. I will always love and admire and cherish the time we spent together. There will be other players, maybe even greater ones. But there will never be a greater human being than Brooks Robinson. I am blessed to have called him "friend" Oriole fans were always his friends too. Heres what I said when Brooks asked me to introduce his statue at Camden Yards.
    • Yeah man... people just get sucked way too far into it. It's really sad. There's a huge world out there that's way more invigorating than likes. I'm gonna do my best to keep my boys away from it as much as possible.  I had a Twitter account this winter for about a month. I just found that it pissed me off more than anything else. I don't need that noise.
    • Anyone know if we can watch the press conference live anywhere? 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now