Keith Law takes another shot at the O's

ChaosLex

It would seem that either DD is lying through his teeth to cover his bum, or Law is engaging in some extreme hyperbole to further his agenda. Which could it be......?:scratchchinhmm:

We'll find out soon enough. I'm sure I'll get reports on him this spring even though he probably will spend the year in the GCL.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'll find out soon enough. I'm sure I'll get reports on him this spring even though he probably will spend the year in the GCL.

I'm guessing the leaked info about his contract isn't as simple as '$550,000' and I'm guessing he won't be pitching in the US for quite some time. He has a year left of school. His summer break is about six weeks mid-July to late August. If I had to make a prediction, I'd predict he joins extended spring training this summer for no more than those 5-6 weeks. And I'd guess he doesn't throw his first professional pitch for the O's organization until August 2013 (after graduation) at the earliest.

I'm guessing the leaked info about his contract isn't as simple as '$550,000' and I'm guessing he won't be pitching in the US for quite some time. He has a year left of school. His summer break is about six weeks mid-July to late August. If I had to make a prediction, I'd predict he joins extended spring training this summer for no more than those 5-6 weeks. And I'd guess he doesn't throw his first professional pitch for the O's organization until August 2013 (after graduation) at the earliest.

I guess you didn't bother to read the DD article on this. He is going to be pitching this year at A level according to dan.

Did you read the article?

Most high school pitchers drafted and/or signed by any big league team with a few exceptions (Dylan Bundy should be one) would probably spend their first pro season playing in extended spring training and maybe joining an organization's short-season farm club in June. But Duquette said there is a decent chance that Kim could start the 2012 season with a full-season club like Single-A Delmarva.

"I think a big thing is for Kim to come to the States, get his feet on the ground and get acclimated to the Oriole organization and also the culture of Major League Baseball. So we should be able to do that. If he pitches well in spring training, he'd be a candidate to make one of our A (ball) teams. If he needs a little more time to get acclimated, he would go with one of our extended spring training teams and play on one of our summer (short-season) ballclubs."

More from Keith Law

keithlaw keithlaw

I do enjoy watching the contortions required to try to make this move anything other than absurd for the Orioles, though.

2 hours ago

keithlaw keithlaw

No. And it ignores opportunity cost. RT @Drewggy Guthrie + league min guy < $8.5 million, correct? (albeit barely)

2 hours ago

keithlaw keithlaw

@

.@YirmiyahuStats Both Hammel and Lindstrom are non-tender candidates after 2012. I wouldn't consider either a two-year asset.

3 hours ago

keithlaw keithlaw

Boom. RT @Buster_ESPN: Guthrie will make less ($8.2MM) than Hammel and Lindstrom combined (~$8.5MM). So the O's aren't saving $ with this.

3 hours ago

keithlaw keithlaw

Yes. RT @stelrake: @keithlaw Good move by O'Dowd?

He ranked the O's as having the 17th best farm system. Tampa and Toronto were ranked 2 and 3, respectively. He had the Sux one behind us at 18.

I expected TB and TOR to be top 5, the Sox will climb this year fast though, I think they have 4-5 guys that will take a step forward in development all this year.

Archived