MLB.com Top 100: Machado #6, Bundy #10

BobDylanBundy

The MLB.com Top 100 Prospect rankings were released today....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/index.jsp

And here's their write-up specific to Orioles prospect rankings on the list....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120125&content_id=26459492&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Manny Machado (#6) and Dylan Bundy (#10) were the only two Orioles to make the list. Based on their 2B rankings, Schoop just barely missed.

The MLB.com Top 100 Prospect rankings were released today....

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/index.jsp

And here's their write-up specific to Orioles prospect rankings on the list....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120125&content_id=26459492&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Manny Machado (#6) and Dylan Bundy (#10) were the only two Orioles to make the list. Based on their 2B rankings, Schoop just barely missed.

I'm pretty shocked that Schoop didn't make it at all.

I'm pretty shocked that Schoop didn't make it at all.

I believe these rankings were mainly compiled by Jonathan Mayo, who seems to have some irrational prejudice against 2B prospects. The rankings are notable because Mayo has a more direct relationship with MLB scouting directors and scouts than most news sources, but obviously personal bias can still influence the list.

Not one 2B made his list last season, and Corey Spangenberg (#81) was the only player at the position to make the list this year. Jurickson Profar (#7) and Anthony Rendon (#27) are more likely than not to end up at 2B if they're not traded, but wouldn't be surprised if they do not play a single inning at the position this year.

At least Machado and Bundy ranked well! I was expecting both players to be around 15ish or worse.

I believe these rankings were mainly compiled by Jonathan Mayo, who seems to have some irrational prejudice against 2B prospects. The rankings are notable because Mayo has a more direct relationship with MLB scouting directors and scouts than most news sources, but obviously personal bias can still influence the list.

Not one 2B made his list last season, and Corey Spangenberg (#81) was the only player at the position to make the list this year. Jurickson Profar (#7) and Anthony Rendon (#27) are more likely than not to end up at 2B if they're not traded, but wouldn't be surprised if they do not play a single inning at the position this year.

At least Machado and Bundy ranked well! I was expecting both players to be around 15ish or worse.

I don't agree with the bolded.

Looking at this in a glass half full kinda way, you have to believe next year the Orioles should have a pretty decently ranked minor league system because neither of those guys will see the big leagues this season at all. We could possibly have two guys ranked in the top five next year.

I watched the show last night. Tough to tell much about highlight clips but was impressed with Wheeler's mechanics and something strikes me funny about Bundy's. It doesn't seem as Bundy can throw as hard as is reported or maybe it just doesn't look like he's throwing that hard. I guess that's a good thing.

Bundy has said repeatedly he never goes max effort in games. That's probably why it looks like he's not throwing his hardest.

That's pretty odd because Schoop actually could and would be playing SS if not for Machado, which I'm guessing would have put him on this list somewhere. Sure he'll end up at 2B or 3B later, but you could say the same thing about Manny possibly moving to 3B I guess. That being said it's not the first time I've heard that Schoop might JUST miss the top 100 list.

That's pretty odd because Schoop actually could and would be playing SS if not for Machado, which I'm guessing would have put him on this list somewhere. Sure he'll end up at 2B or 3B later, but you could say the same thing about Manny possibly moving to 3B I guess. That being said it's not the first time I've heard that Schoop might JUST miss the top 100 list.

I was thinking the same thing to myself. That if Schoop had played the season at SS he would have made the top 100. in the grand scheme of things it makes little difference if he made the list or not.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks Machado probably belongs in the 30ish range and Schoop in the 50ish range. I think they're off by a lot on both of them, but what do I know?

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks Machado probably belongs in the 30ish range and Schoop in the 50ish range. I think they're off by a lot on both of them, but what do I know?

I think Machado at 6 is a head-scratcher. You can argue Bundy in the top 10, but I probably wouldn't, considering the depth in the Minors now. I think Profar is a top 10 guy, with Machado and Lindor the next best shortstops. Machado better right now, as Lindor hasn't played any pro ball yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lindor looked to have the brighter future at this time next year.

I think Machado at 6 is a head-scratcher. You can argue Bundy in the top 10, but I probably wouldn't, considering the depth in the Minors now. I think Profar is a top 10 guy, with Machado and Lindor the next best shortstops. Machado better right now, as Lindor hasn't played any pro ball yet. But I wouldn't be surprised if Lindor looked to have the brighter future at this time next year.

Hype gets you a long way. If Machado is an exceptional hitter and a natural fielder SS, I suppose he belongs that high. I'm just not sold on the small sample of hot hitting followed by a less impressive stretch that admittedly ended up hot again. At #6, I want a guy who has already built a track record or is off the charts physically/tools (e.g., Bundy, Harper). Machado's best tool, IMO, is his feel for the game. Dude's a baseball rat. That gives me some confidence that he will end up playing well even if he ends up a 3B with an average hit tool. I'm just not sure that means he'll turn into a superstar. He'll need to hit at or above many of his projections AND stick at SS to be that guy.

Schoop, OTOH, seems to have the rankers lagging, IMO. I think his hit tool is very legit and I trust his fielding. I think that he'll get more notice once he settles at a position and continues to hit in A+ and hopefully AA. I have a very good feeling that he will, and I think the prognosticators are lagging in that perception. Hopefully I'm right on this one. His best-case comp (if only in trajectory) is Robbie Cano.

I don't agree with the bolded.

I guess you haven't read much by Jonathan Mayo then. The consolidated prospect cards are not very reflective of his quality of reporting, I'd recommend looking at some of his articles and videos.

I'm skeptical of most prospect-based news sources which fall into two groups: "anonymous paraphrasers" and "copy and paste artists". Mayo, however, avoids both categories. In his articles, he's not one of those writers who throws down lots of assertions with no explanation as to where they're coming from.

He does a good job of including exact quotes he himself has been told directly by scouting directors and scouts (frequently even specifically naming the sources). He's also posted plenty of video with commentary by scouting directors. There's no question he's privileged with direct access to key sources that most other sites don't have, which really is true of most MLB.com lead reporters (majors and minors).

I watched the show last night. Tough to tell much about highlight clips but was impressed with Wheeler's mechanics and something strikes me funny about Bundy's. It doesn't seem as Bundy can throw as hard as is reported or maybe it just doesn't look like he's throwing that hard. I guess that's a good thing.

Coincidentally, a fairly in-depth interview was just posted this morning comparing Bundy to Jameson Taillon. One of the areas in which Bundy was rated with a decisive edge was in fact cleaner mechanics at the same age.

Bundy's mechanics are fine, and his height will not hold him back... the one potential concern is buildup, his workload would probably be considered irresponsible by traditional baseball theory.

Bundy and his father, however, believe this is not a concern due to his training/conditioning program. A single player is not going to completely shift the landscape on his own. However, Bundy's success in avoiding injury will be a good test case that significantly calls into question (or, hopefully not, reinforces) traditional views on the correlation between SP workloads and injury risk.

Three years from now, Mr. Bundy could replace Guthrie as the O's #1 starter.... and replace Brady Anderson as the team's designated fitness trainer. :)

I don't really have a problem with categorizing Schoop as a 2B: he played significantly more innings there than any other position, he's unlikely to see much time at SS due to Hardy/Machado, and he was horrendous playing 3B. If you have to bucket Schoop at a position, 2B would be the one - both current and long term.

I do have a problem with "penalizing" prospects for playing 2B. Schoop isn't the only 2B prospect to be snubbed. Kolten Wong and Oscar Tejada are better prospects than some of the shortstops that made it. Even at the top of his 2B article, he says it's thought of (by who??) as the position for "failed shortstops" and "players who aren't legitimate prospects." Mayo is one of the better prospect reporters out there, but as far as his recent opinions involving 2B's are concerned it's as if Dustin Ackley stole his girlfriend.

Machado belongs higher than 30ish - he's a SS/3B who hit well against older competition in his first full pro season after being the #3 pick. However, I do agree you want a bit more ceiling from a Top 10 prospect. Jhonny Peralta might be his closest Major League comp - definitely a valuable building block, but not the superstar you'd expect a Top 10 prospect to develop into.

His best-case comp (if only in trajectory) is Robbie Cano.

If that's true, then Cano is the best case trajectory for just about every teenage Latin American 2B. In terms of tools, skills, and physicality, not seeing many similarities between Cano and Schoop. I'm actually hoping for better plate discipline and 2B defense from Schoop, while I don't see how you could reasonably project him for consistent 70+ XBH power. I guess if fans are going to associate Machado and A-Rod, we need to be fair and connect Schoop with Cano.

I guess you haven't read much by Jonathan Mayo then. The consolidated prospect cards are not very reflective of his quality of reporting, I'd recommend looking at some of his articles and videos.

I'm skeptical of most prospect-based news sources which fall into two groups: "anonymous paraphrasers" and "copy and paste artists". Mayo, however, avoids both categories. In his articles, he's not one of those writers who throws down lots of assertions with no explanation as to where they're coming from.

He does a good job of including exact quotes he himself has been told directly by scouting directors and scouts (frequently even specifically naming the sources). He's also posted plenty of video with commentary by scouting directors. There's no question he's privileged with direct access to key sources that most other sites don't have, which really is true of most MLB.com lead reporters (majors and minors).

Coincidentally, a fairly in-depth interview was just posted this morning comparing Bundy to Jameson Taillon. One of the areas in which Bundy was rated with a decisive edge was in fact cleaner mechanics at the same age.

Bundy's mechanics are fine, and his height will not hold him back... the one potential concern is buildup, his workload would probably be considered irresponsible by traditional baseball theory.

Bundy and his father, however, believe this is not a concern due to his training/conditioning program. A single player is not going to completely shift the landscape on his own. However, Bundy's success in avoiding injury will be a good test case that significantly calls into question (or, hopefully not, reinforces) traditional views on the correlation between SP workloads and injury risk.

Three years from now, Mr. Bundy could replace Guthrie as the O's #1 starter.... and replace Brady Anderson as the team's designated fitness trainer. :)

I don't really have a problem with categorizing Schoop as a 2B: he played significantly more innings there than any other position, he's unlikely to see much time at SS due to Hardy/Machado, and he was horrendous playing 3B. If you have to bucket Schoop at a position, 2B would be the one - both current and long term.

I do have a problem with "penalizing" prospects for playing 2B. Schoop isn't the only 2B prospect to be snubbed. Kolten Wong and Oscar Tejada are better prospects than some of the shortstops that made it. Even at the top of his 2B article, he says it's thought of (by who??) as the position for "failed shortstops" and "players who aren't legitimate prospects." Mayo is one of the better prospect reporters out there, but as far as his recent opinions involving 2B's are concerned it's as if Dustin Ackley stole his girlfriend.

Machado belongs higher than 30ish - he's a SS/3B who hit well against older competition in his first full pro season after being the #3 pick. However, I do agree you want a bit more ceiling from a Top 10 prospect. Jhonny Peralta might be his closest Major League comp - definitely a valuable building block, but not the superstar you'd expect a Top 10 prospect to develop into.

If that's true, then Cano is the best case trajectory for just about every teenage Latin American 2B. In terms of tools, skills, and physicality, not seeing many similarities between Cano and Schoop. I'm actually hoping for better plate discipline and 2B defense from Schoop, while I don't see how you could reasonably project him for consistent 70+ XBH power. I guess if fans are going to associate Machado and A-Rod, we need to be fair and connect Schoop with Cano.

Haha, I wouldn't worry about Stotle reading enough Mayo, Stotle is one of those scouts that Mayo would be calling about guys. No, seriously, legit MLB scout, trust me when I tell you he knows who talks directly to people ;)

The thing you have to be careful of is exactly what you mentioned, his name dropping. Scouts especially don't like to be directly quoted as talking to media-folk. You quote a couple scouts that you are getting info from and you'll stop getting info pretty soon. His shortcoming is one that most media have, it's almost 100% 2nd or 3rd hand info, he's not out there actually looking at guys and making conclusions, he's just compiling info from a bunch of great sources and making an educated decision from there. Nothing wrong with that, but you just have to know that when you read him so you don't mistake it for his own knowledge. I mean Mayo is fine and all for what he is, but he's also just one of the cogs at BA, and there are sometimes when he is way off base too.

It's ok to categorize Schoop as a 2B, but that doesn't take away from his ability to play SS, and if he were on MOST teams he would be there. You grade a player on their ability, not the position they are presently occupying. If he's got the ability to play 2B/SS/3B that is much more impressive to me on the defensive side of things than if he could only play one position. Should have bumped him up a bit in the rankings. I don't think he should be up there with Profar or Machado, but maybe coming in behind Lindor and ahead of guys like Beckham as far as middle infielders go.

Cano has made worlds of improvement SINCE he made the ML, but when he was coming up, he's not that much different from Schoop actually. Cano hit his ceiling and then raised it a few floors, where Schoop's ceiling is probably somewhere near Cano's was projected originally. Comps can confuse the issue more than they help, but I can see the train of thought there.

Welcome to the board though, appreciate the well thought out minors/prospect talk.

Archived