Russ Canzler put on waivers (update: Indians acquire Canzler)

.500_OR_BETTER

International League MVP Russ Canzler was placed on waivers from Tampa... should the O's be interested?

This hasn?t been a good couple weeks for Russ Canzler.

Last season he won the International League MVP award after hitting .314 with 18 homers, 40 doubles, and a .930 OPS for Durham, made his big-league debut in September with a handful of at-bats, and for a while at least it looked like the 25-year-old first baseman might get a chance as the Rays? starter.

Then last week Tampa Bay signed Carlos Pena, ruling out that possibility, and now they dropped Canzler from the 40-man roster altogether to make room for Jeff Keppinger. From atop the depth chart to on the waiver wire in less than a week.

Keppinger, who was non-tendered by the Giants last month, finalized a one-year, $1.525 million deal with the Rays and they designated Canzler for assignment. It'll be interesting to see if Canzler is claimed off waivers, because while certainly not a top prospect he?s had back-to-back big seasons in the minors and would seemingly be a nice bench bat at worst.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/27/rays-make-room-for-jeff-keppinger-by-dropping-triple-a-mvp-russ-canzler/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Just want to say I'm glad the Orioles didn't take Elijah Green in low A ball he has 71 strikeouts in 139 at bats this season. When I heard Green struck out a lot in high school it soured me on him even with his freakish athletic ability. Green still has a lot of time to develop, but he might legit strike out 300+ times if he played in 150 MLB games this year.
    • I think we would all agree that we don't have a true Ace.  However, so far we've had 4 solid starting pitchers.  As we saw in 2014, sometime's that can be enough.
    • What have other people's experiences been with  the app?  It did work, but only showed the Nats game and I indicated that I waa an O's fan.  I watched about 100 sports betting commercials..  Everytime I did something with the app I had to warch a commercial or 2, 99% sports betting ones.
    • Coming into today, they were 10 out of 15 in the AL in attendance.  And on pace to draw roughly 1.5-6 M fans.  Of course with the way they're playing, and the presumption that crowds will be bigger in the summer than in the spring, it's not unfeasible to see them drawing 1.8 M fans. For perspective, they drew under 800 K in 2021 and 1.36 M last year.   We've discussed it before, and we all acknowledge the Golden Days of 3.5 M a year aren't coming back, but a playoff appearance could put the organization in position to plan for 2+ M fans next season, and hopefully with continued good play, maintain 2-2.4 M attendance annually.  That should allow them the financial wherewithal to maintain long-term competitiveness.  
    • If that's the case, then tomorrow's lineup would probably be exactly the same as it was today except with Frazier substituted in for Gunnar at the 7 spot. And defensively, Adley would be DH with McCann catching, Urias at 3B and Fraizier at 2B. It's also a day game so I'm inclined to believe that your guess is and educated one.
    • I contend the Orioles need a strong #2 or #1 (if possible) to anchor the rotation. Not one starting pitcher in this starting rotation gives me full confidence being the game one opener in the wildcard or ALDS round at least for now. Maybe that changes by September. John Means is a pitcher I do have confidence in, but it's not realistic to expect him to be that guy this season. Also Means had a setback last week, so who knows when he's even ready to pitch in a live game.
  • Popular Contributors