Roch: Tillman trying to turn around career

ChaosLex

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It will take me no more than his first two innings to know if he has potentially turned his career around. If he's throwing 88, no he hasn't. If he's throwing 92, then maybe. His 88 MPH fastball fools nobody.

Maybe he should just go to the pen and let him turn it loose for an inning or two.

Maybe he should just go to the pen and let him turn it loose for an inning or two.

In my (completely uneducated) opinion, it seems like he was taught to take it down a notch in order to preserve his strength for seven innings. I think it's a mental thing. I'm hoping that his work with Brady over the offseason gave him confidence to know that he can crank it up and still maintain for a quality start.

It will take me no more than his first two innings to know if he has potentially turned his career around. If he's throwing 88, no he hasn't. If he's throwing 92, then maybe. His 88 MPH fastball fools nobody.

This and I am not necessarily a radar gun lover. His fastball is straight and hittable. If it doesn't have velocity hes got no shot. Not sure what the heck happened but pretty disappointing.

In most other organizations, Tillman is a ML contributor IMO.

The Orioles are constantly screwing him up.

I really hope Peterson can change things for Tillman and the organization as a whole.

If other teams agreed with you they would trade for him. Sometimes players just aren't very good.

In my (completely uneducated) opinion, it seems like he was taught to take it down a notch in order to preserve his strength for seven innings. I think it's a mental thing. I'm hoping that his work with Brady over the offseason gave him confidence to know that he can crank it up and still maintain for a quality start.

I think it was to locate though both issues are related. I'm not sure stamina is that much of an issue though it certanily factors in when you're as pitch inefficient as he is.

I want Tillman to pitch well enough that GM's around baseball will think, "this is a guy I'd like to have on my team." If that GM is Duquette, great. If it's another GM that we might be making a deal with, that's fine, too. Right now, he's gone from the deal-breaker we demanded in the Bedard trade to someone GM's don't really want as a throw-in with other players. I want Tillman to be a guy that can make the Orioles a better team, whether it's pitching for us or in a trade for someone else.

People forget that Tillman was a key piece of the Jones trade, but there were other guys we were seeking who Seattle refused to trade. As I recall, we wanted Jeff Clement or Brandon Morrow, and possibly Waldimir Balentien or Carlos Triunfel. Tillman was a compromise, not our top choice. Though he was a highly regarded prospect, his stock was much higher after a good year in Bowie than it was when we traded for him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
"I've been saying for three years now that consistency is the thing," he said. "It's being able to throw all my pitches for strikes. That's another thing I'm working on. It's been pounded in our heads the last four or five months. I'm really looking forward to seeing the results this year. I already see good things while playing catch and in the bullpen. It's a good feeling."

Well, at least Tillman appears to get it.

People forget that Tillman was a key piece of the Jones trade, but there were other guys we were seeking who Seattle refused to trade. As I recall, we wanted Jeff Clement or Brandon Morrow, and possibly Waldimir Balentien or Carlos Triunfel. Tillman was a compromise, not our top choice. Though he was a highly regarded prospect, his stock was much higher after a good year in Bowie than it was when we traded for him.

Right. He was an interesting prospect - but certainly not due to results (or only obliquely), and more because of what he showed/hinted at in tough circumstances (park/age) in a advanced A-ball. His first great MiLB results came with us.

Archived