Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

ChaosLex

After reading through this thread, I'm now really hoping that we sign Manny Ramirez.

The entertainment value of reading OH will be unquantifiable and make any contract he receives well worth the cost.

Honestly, I'm at a point in my life that what my teams do ... I just don't let it upset me.

I enjoy catching a game at the park. It's great quality time with my wife, daughter, friends or whoever goes with me. All the other stuff just isn't that important anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I still follow them as much as I ever have, even moreso since I started following the minor leagues, and always get excited when they win or make a major acquisition. But the lows just don't bother me anymore.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading through this thread, I'm now really hoping that we sign Manny Ramirez.

The entertainment value of reading OH will be unquantifiable and make any contract he receives well worth the cost.

Honestly, I'm at a point in my life that what my teams do ... I just don't let it upset me.

I enjoy catching a game at the park. It's great quality time with my wife, daughter, friends or whoever goes with me. All the other stuff just isn't that important anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I still follow them as much as I ever have, even moreso since I started following the minor leagues, and always get excited when they win or make a major acquisition. But the lows just don't bother me anymore.

Curses on your well-balanced, appropriately invested, and earnestly spent life.

Curses, I say.

;)

The way I see it, Manny would be a RH bat at DH. That would give us 50 games to see if Reynolds can hold his own at 3B. If he can maintain at least his career ave. of -10 RS, then he has most value as a 3B. A platoon of Betemit/Manny could be quite effective at DH, and would avoid having to put a lesser bat at 3B, if Reynolds is DH against LH SP. Worst case is Manny is a bust and we have to go with Reynolds as primary RH DH, with Antonelli/Flaherty/Andino as 3B, and we eat Manny's minimal salary. Another option would be Ibanez, or Vlad as RH DH.

The way I see it, Manny would be a RH bat at DH. That would give us 50 games to see if Reynolds can hold his own at 3B. If he can maintain at least his career ave. of -10 RS, then he has most value as a 3B. A platoon of Betemit/Manny could be quite effective at DH, and would avoid having to put a lesser bat at 3B, if Reynolds is DH against LH SP. Worst case is Manny is a bust and we have to go with Reynolds as primary RH DH, with Antonelli/Flaherty/Andino as 3B, and we eat Manny's minimal salary. Another option would be Ibanez, or Vlad as RH DH.

But why? Who cares. What do we really gain from signing Manny (or any of the other guy you mention). Investing even $1mm in Manny just seems stupid and makes no sense.

I know what you're saying because as I get older I am the same, I am just as passionate yet I don't let what my teams do effect me(as much). BUT. we're already the laughing stock of baseball which is tough enough to deal with. This move would smack of serious desperation. Remove the name from the equation and it just doesn't make sense. We don't need a washed up right handed DH. Now add back int he fact who the clown is in question and it changes things ten fold. His attitude, his antics and his steroid use make this a different situation than signing a Garret Atkins.

Yes I've learned it's just a game and not to let things I can't control affect me. But I will be furious if they sign him.

IMO Signing Manny represents a panic move by the Orioles, in the mold of the Sammy Sosa move. I have far more interest in seeing how Miller woul do as the RH DH then I would seeing Manny.

Yep, me too. Plus, Miller being in the lineup, with his great D, allows us to put Reimold at DH against LHP.

I thought that is way DD came back to sign Manny.We also need a first baseman. Mo Vaughn. He runs a trucking company but maybe we can get him back. Also get Jack Wilson. Maybe we can have Manny.Moe and Jack. Anyone wonder why Lacava and five other GM's turned down this job? What does Buck have one more year? I wonder if he will tell some good stories when he is back on ESPN.

Hasn't Manny been busted twice, and isn't that a 100-game suspension?

Seeing as how no one else has brought that up yet, I'm sure I'm wrong, but what part of it is wrong? I thought once was 50 games, twice was 100 games.

Anyway, ain't no way the O's are signing Manny. If they do I'll run naked around Camden Yards*.

*This declaration is void if the aforementioned event actually occurs.

Hasn't Manny been busted twice, and isn't that a 100-game suspension?

Seeing as how no one else has brought that up yet, I'm sure I'm wrong, but what part of it is wrong? I thought once was 50 games, twice was 100 games.

Anyway, ain't no way the O's are signing Manny. If they do I'll run naked around Camden Yards*.

*This declaration is void if the aforementioned event actually occurs.

MLB reduced it from 100 to 50 as a compromise. Manny and his agent were saying he served his 100 games while retired, MLB said no-dice, but were afraid an altercation with the union about it would rule in Manny's favor because it would effectively take away any chance of him finding employment and being ABLE to serve the suspension.

A person familiar with the negotiations tells The Associated Press that Major League Baseball and the players' association are working on an agreement to cut Manny Ramirez's drug suspension from 100 games to 50 because he already sat out most of last season

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/12/04/source_manny_ramirez_applies_for_reinstatement/

You guys realize that I didn't say "Lets Get Man-Ram!!"

I'm just stating the facts:

1. Duq has a man crush on Ramirez

2. Options are limited for a 3- hole hitter

3. There is a huge hole at the 3 spot

4. You have a hitter, although his numbers have dropped. But has fulfilled this role before

5. Putting anyone in that spot from this current lineup would be detrimental to their development

So please don't twist the fact that I'm advocating to sign Ramirez... I'm just simply stating how this is possibly lining up for the O's. I think he would atleast bring some entertainment to this season. That's all I've said.

Archived