Favorite short-term Oriole?

markdublya

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes I think I have more of a fondness for the obscure short-timers than many of the real stars. Some names that come to mind:

Pete Stanicek - the only fast guy in the whole organization in the '86-'88 timeframe.

Rick Schu - was leading the AL in triples on April 13th, 1988. Wore lots of eye black.

Glenn Gulliver - pudgy third baseman who hit his only MLB homer during that terrible last game of the 1982 season.

Jon Knott/JR House/Jack Cust/Carlos Mendez - no explanation necessary.

Dan Boone - diminutive left-handed knuckleballer out of MLB for years when the O's found him in the senior league. Really was related to Daniel Boone.

John Stephens - Aussie with an 80 mph fastball, 50 mph eephus curve, and pinpoint control

Unfortunately Wayne Krenchicki played three years for the O's (only 58 games, though).

Dallas Williams - saw his MLB debut in person.

Mickey Weston, Jamie Quirk, Butch "Warm Front" Davis, Texas Mike Smith, Mississippi Mike Smith, Francisco Melendez, Stan Jefferson... all the qualifiers from the 1989 team.

Willis Otanez, Calvin Pickering, Dave Dellucci, Danny Clyburn, Howie Clark, Tommy Davis, Augie Ojeda, Rick Short, and the other BaySox I rooted for in the late 90s (yea, some of them didn't even make the show with the O's).

Mike "Go" Figga

Ivanon Coffie

and Drungo LaRue Hazewood, of course.

Sorta on topic here but...looking back at Will Clarks numbers for us, he wasn't bad...at all. Great OBP.

So why do I remember hating him while he was here?

Well I can't speak for you but I hated him because he wasn't Rafael Palmeiro. The same reason I didn't like Delino DeShields - he wasn't Roberto Alomar. I was a kid though so my feelings weren't exactly rational.

Sorta on topic here but...looking back at Will Clarks numbers for us, he wasn't bad...at all. Great OBP.

So why do I remember hating him while he was here?

Don't know about you, but I disliked him because Cal Pickering had just posted a 1.000 OPS at the age of 21 in AA, and the O's went right out and signed a 35-year-old Clark to a multi-year deal to block him. This on a team whose average age was 54.

Archived