Terps vs UNC

This was a breakthrough game for the Terps in my opinion, even if they didn't win.

First off, Len and Faust showed up in a big time ACC game. That was the first time I've seen Len move around and look confident in all phases of the game. Faust looks pretty good when he drives to the basket. He needs to improve his outside shooting, but his ability to take the ball to the hoop will help the entire offense.

Secondly, Stoglin showed he's just a pure scorer, even against an elite team like NC. His ability to shoot, drive, and get to the line and connect on his FTs makes him a pretty complete offensive player. He still needs to play better defense and he still has a penchant to take some bad shots, but he really doesn't have a lot of help and I think he might be an even better player if the Terps can find another consistent outside shooter.

The Terps were totally out-talented but they played scrappy, didn't let some questionable foul calls effect them, and stayed in a game they should have been blown out in on paper.

This team still needs a big-time PF, a pass first creative PG and at least one more solid 3-point threat to be a legit dance team, but I like what I saw from a team that is very out-manned right now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a breakthrough game for the Terps in my opinion, even if they didn't win.

First off, Len and Faust showed up in a big time ACC game. That was the first time I've seen Len move around and look confident in all phases of the game. Faust looks pretty good when he drives to the basket. He needs to improve his outside shooting, but his ability to take the ball to the hoop will help the entire offense.

Secondly, Stoglin showed he's just a pure scorer, even against an elite team like NC. His ability to shoot, drive, and get to the line and connect on his FTs makes him a pretty complete offensive player. He still needs to play better defense and he still has a penchant to take some bad shots, but he really doesn't have a lot of help and I think he might be an even better player if the Terps can find another consistent outside shooter.

The Terps were totally out-talented but they played scrappy, didn't let some questionable foul calls effect them, and stayed in a game they should have been blown out in on paper.

This team still needs a big-time PF, a pass first creative PG and at least one more solid 3-point threat to be a legit dance team, but I like what I saw from a team that is very out-manned right now.

I think their hope is that they've got these covered in the next recruiting class, with Cleare, Layman and Allen. Allen may run some point, but he's not a pure PG, however.

I think their hope is that they've got these covered in the next recruiting class, with Cleare, Layman and Allen. Allen may run some point, but he's not a pure PG, however.

Cleare and Layman definitely fill holes but Allen doesn't really. He's not a true PG. I feel like few of them really exist any more though. Combo guards seem to be the thing of the future.

Well, looks like the officials decided that the Terps have led long enough.
Officials calling this game much tighter in the 2nd half.
Never mind' date=' they just suck :P[/quote']
Bad refs are bad.
Oh Christ! You do have to touch a guy in order to foul him, right?
Anyone able to get a .gif of that "foul" so I can use it whenever someone says the refs either don't suck or aren't out to get Maryland? :P
Put the whistles away! They're ruining the game.
The good news is that if everyone fouls out our end-of-the-bench didn't get trampled to death in a court-rush earlier this year, so the Terps win by default...
We have to be, playing eight-on-five.
There were four components that made the officiating terrible: (i) they changed how they were calling in the second half (when consistency is key); (ii) when Maryland stretched their lead, they immediately got called for ten, TEN, fouls in the first eight minutes of the second half; (iii) during that stretch our C and PG both got their 4th foul, killing our offense; (iv) their calls on us included a multiple touch fouls, a moving pick, and two phantom calls.

I don't disagree, but it was more than we could weather. And it was terrible. I say that as someone not inclined to complain about the refs. heck, my 70 year old father called and said, "they can't win if the refs want to intrude like this."

The officials definitely decided to make themselves part of the story in the second half. If they were calling the game that tight in the first half' date=' that would have been one thing. But it's like someone pissed in their Gatorade right before halftime the way they changed. [/quote']

I didn't watch this game, but I get tired of how it's always about the refs.

You'll rarely find me complaining outwardly about the officiating, but they were really bad on Saturday. Just in general. Inconsistency is what gets me. Presumably teams adjust as the game goes on to the way the officials are calling the game, if they are calling it lose, play more physical and vice-versa. To do a complete 180 smacks of doing a poor job.

You must spread.....

I'm a Carolina fan first, but always root for Maryland otherwise..But this incessant ref stuff does get old.

Especially against Duke.

Good luck Wednesday, Frobby. (Not really being sincere, but I'm trying) :)

You're right, you DIDN'T watch this game. You didn't watch Len get his fourth foul called when he didn't make any contact with a player on a layup, and no angle neither replay nor full-speed showed anything. You didn't watch the game get called one way for the first half, then completely differently in the second half. You didn't hear noted biased announcer Mike Patrick completely flummoxed by many of the calls.

If you watch a game and you want to come in and offer your opinion that the officiating was fine, you go right ahead. Please don't lecture about what you don't know.

Come on Frobby. You are clearly the best poster in the Orioles section but you haven't really added anything in the MD section. If you didn't watch the game, then you can't comment on the refs. They were terrible. Had you watched the game, that would have been obvious.

You're right, you DIDN'T watch this game. You didn't watch Len get his fourth foul called when he didn't make any contact with a player on a layup, and no angle neither replay nor full-speed showed anything. You didn't watch the game get called one way for the first half, then completely differently in the second half. You didn't hear noted biased announcer Mike Patrick completely flummoxed by many of the calls.

If you watch a game and you want to come in and offer your opinion that the officiating was fine, you go right ahead. Please don't lecture about what you don't know.

For some reason, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'm unaware of this - But what's the deal with Mike Patrick?

Frobby, this was a game thread and you're a Duke alum. This comes across the same as a Yankee fan commenting on an Oriole game thread.

You can watch the game here if you want to comment:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/player/_/source/espn3/id/380214/size/condensed/

The tight officiating in the second half made the game unbearable to watch. One of my comments that you quoted, "Put the whistles away! They're ruining the game," was made after a petty foul called against UNC.

Comments in the 2nd half from the ESPN announcers - Mike Patrick and Len Elmore (MD alum)

"Pankey arguing he didn't touch him."

"Not much contact but a foul [on Len]."

"I don't know. That's a tough call on Tyler Zeller."

"Rather see a play on at that point. And there've been about three of these in the second half that've been really TOUCHY fouls.

"Mark Turgeon close to askin if that was a make up call."

"Weijs on the rebound and he is fouled, Oh NO! [when he realizes the foul was called against Weijs.]"

"Thought it was on McAdoo [uNC]. McAdoo thought it was too."

12:04 Moseley [MD] gets his 4th foul MD leads 54-52

11:49 Zeller [uNC] gets his 4th foul

9:53 Len's 4th foul - MD up 57-56

"Len got back and Len commits the foul. That will be 4 on the freshman center."

[watching the replay]"Wow! Missed 'em"

"Missed him completely. That's a tough call."

[still referring to the 4th foul on Len] "Alex Len did the right thing and did not foul."

8:34 Marshall [uNC] gets his 3rd foul and is unhappy with the call.

"Should this game go into overtime the foul situation is going to get interesting for both teams."

3:50 [69-67 UNC - Faust (MD) gets his 4th foul on a ticky tack call while Len makes a clean block.]

"That's 4 on Faust! Everybody in foul trouble in a 2-point game."

1:57 74-69 UNC - Henson [uNC] gets his 4th foul

"That's gonna be a foul on Henson. And he didn't like it. There've been a lot of guys protesting calls today."

"Actually he congratulated the official for catching him."

34.6 seconds left 77-72 UNC - UNC trying to inbounds the ball.

"Boy that looked like a pretty good steal. Faust reached in and knocked it away; he's gonna be called for the foul and Nick Faust has fouled out of the ballgame."

For some reason, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I'm unaware of this - But what's the deal with Mike Patrick?

Nothing that I know of either. I think he just gets caught up in fawning over the big name stars and teams. That's all (to me, anyway).

As a UNC fan, let me just say that the game was horribly, horribly, horribly officiated.

Would it have changed who won? In all likelihood, no. Was it biased? Also no.

Is Stoglin amazing? OMG yes.

(Also, Henson's dunk, classless as it was, made me LOL.)

Nothing really. He's just usually paired with Vitale, so a lot of the "Dookie V" stuff ends up rubbing off on him :P

He was acting really surprised at a lot of the calls against both teams, which is a surprise for any major announcer.

Archived