KBO sends letter to MLB, accuses the Orioles of breaking protocols

ChaosLex

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of what the KBO is doing, the Orioles came to an agreement to sign this guy for a lot of money. It is classless not to honor that agreement regardless of the circumstances. The fact that the KBO is trying to make a statement by banning the kid makes the Orioles' inaction seem even more classless.

I agree totally. And the Orioles have done plenty of classless (or at least bizarrely inappropriate) things over the last two decades so that I unfortunately am not too unbelieving to think that the O’s are using this as an opportunity to get out of the 500K bonus and to royally screw the kid. But on the other hand, the whole situation is so bizarre I can’t help but think that there is some larger dance still going on between MLB, the Orioles, and the KBO with this poor kid stuck in the middle.

So if I go teach in Korea this fall, I should avoid wearing any of my O's hats in major cities and especially if I catch a ballgame?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. It is not in their culture to instigate conflict with strangers. You might get some dirty looks, it would depend on how much traction this story has over there.

(would be funny if the hat got you kicked out of a game because of the scouting ban.)

• 6 years later...

Bump....a blast from the past.    Got to wondering what ever happened to Kim Seong-min, the Korean kid we tried to sign in violation of the KBO’s rules.    And here it is:

https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20190313008300315

Briefly, Kim was reinstated by the KBO a couple of years ago and is a relief pitcher there.    His velocity is 136 kilometers/hour which is about 84-85 mph.    So, I’m glad he landed on his feet but it doesn’t look like we missed out on much.  

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So the Orioles got banned over the Korean equivalent of Tyler Wilson.  Did he at least throw harder in 2012.

Sounds like the scout who signed him drank too much soju. 

He didn't.

I had real issues with the O's head guy in Asia at the time.

Archived