KBO sends letter to MLB, accuses the Orioles of breaking protocols

ChaosLex

"We only have 50 high school teams and taking promising players away like this makes it very hard for Korean baseball to stay strong."

Really? So a kid being plucked from Asia to play the highest level of baseball in America while getting $550k+ is going to hurt Korean baseball? I would love to hear how that makes any sense. If the Orioles gave the KBO $50M for Kim I doubt that this would have been a problem. I hate the word "poach" as well as it makes it sound like the kid didn't have a choice as a free agent.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If MLB teams aren't doing it, then this is exactly what the Orioles should be doing: finding talent in untapped pools.

Unless there is an explicit law or a written agreement between MLB and KBO, then I care not for any 'precedent'. KBO should have wrapped this kid up if they didn't want him signing with MLB.

This kid is ours and the rules change moving forward. Both sides would be happy, but KO should not win this one IMO. Its like giving someone a ticket for speeding because they were doing it before it became law. The KBO is upset that the Orioles landed one of the top players and that they were not provided compensation.

He was 17. What kind of sophomore is that?

How many years do they stay in high school?

We should push the envelope in every which way we can.

They go to school longer than we do. They go to school on Saturday and go into school later than us. They do not get long breaks, but more frequent smaller breaks.

They go to school longer than we do. They go to school on Saturday and go into school later than us. They do not get long breaks, but more frequent smaller breaks.

Correct. My wife is a teacher in Howard county and had a bunch of Korean teachers come through her school last week on one of those small breaks. Said they must do something school related or continuing Ed while on those small breaks. Anywho... Interesting.

"We only have 50 high school teams and taking promising players away like this makes it very hard for Korean baseball to stay strong."

Really? So a kid being plucked from Asia to play the highest level of baseball in America while getting $550k+ is going to hurt Korean baseball? I would love to hear how that makes any sense. If the Orioles gave the KBO $50M for Kim I doubt that this would have been a problem. I hate the word "poach" as well as it makes it sound like the kid didn't have a choice as a free agent.

They're the KBO. They're talking about protecting the quality of the KBO.

They're converting to a five-day school week.

http://www.thomaswhite.com/explore-the-world/postcard/2011/south-korea-school-saturday-class.aspx

I don't think it's about the money for the KBO, it's about the talent. If American teams are allowed to come in and pluck all the good high schoolers away what are they going to be left with? Basically beer-league softball.

Now since it's the O's I say tough luck. :P But I still definitely see their point.

From Melewski:

One of the reporters that has provided me with information and access to some of his stories and interviews is Jee-ho Yoo from Yonhap News Agency, the largest news agency in Korea.

He spoke with Jeong Geum-jo, the head of baseball operations in the KBO and sent me quotes from Geum-jo last night on the matter. Here they are:

"As far as status checks go, we give MLB fairly basic answers - for instance, if a player is a student-athlete or a professional. With Kim Seong-min's case, we could have told them that he is entering his final year in high school and will be eligible for the KBO draft in 2013. So we could have said, please refrain from engaging him.

"With the status check, it's not something we can't simply reject and say, 'No, we can't give you the information.' And it's not as though MLB teams already don't know about the players that they're pursuing. It's a mere formality that is in the agreement. Beyond that, it doesn't carry much significance.

"The problem with Baltimore is that they violated the agreement. Whether it's an amateur or a pro player, you have to check with us first. They not only contacted the player, but signed him. So it's a big problem.

"Having filed our complaint, we're counting on four things. First, don't violate the agreement again. Second, MLB should penalize the violating team. Third, don't just tell us you're going to punish the team, but tell us how. Finally, we want to revise the agreement.

"Actually, Kim Seong-min is someone who has nothing to do with professional baseball. He is a student, after all. We can't really stop him from going wherever he wants to go. It's up to the Korea Baseball Association (KBA) to sanction the player and all. What we do is to deal with violation of the agreement and with asking MLB to penalize the offending party.

"The MLB side told us that they would take a close look into this and give us a response. I think some changes could be made if we keep pushing."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/02/hoes-anxious-to-soak-up-experience-of-big-league-camp.html

"Having filed our complaint, we're counting on four things. First, don't violate the agreement again. Second, MLB should penalize the violating team. Third, don't just tell us you're going to punish the team, but tell us how. Finally, we want to revise the agreement."

Wow. That's one hell of a sense of entitlement the KBO thinks they have.

Wow. That's one hell of a sense of entitlement the KBO thinks they have.

Don't they know who they're messing with? This Major League Frickkin' Baseball. If you don't like us signing anybody we want from your country, we'll just crush you. We don't care about your piddling little league. We care about making sure MLB has all the players we want, on any conditions we want, from wherever we want.

I would bet that, unless Mr. Duquette and company have some good answers for the commissioner's office, Baltimore is going to get penalized on their international spending alottment starting July 2nd...

Oh well, at least our penalized allotment will still be more than our self-imposed allotment was under MacPhail.

I'm curious if anyone knows how the Braves got away with signing a player at the same age (Bong) without all the hoopla. Maybe they went to the KBO for permission? Still, they don't seem to like the poaching of high schoolers, so it's a bit odd that the Orioles have been singled out.

I'm curious if anyone knows how the Braves got away with signing a player at the same age (Bong) without all the hoopla. Maybe they went to the KBO for permission? Still, they don't seem to like the poaching of high schoolers, so it's a bit odd that the Orioles have been singled out.

1. Doesn't seem like ATL circumvented the process.

2. Bong, while approximately the same age, may have been further along in his schooling.

Don't they know who they're messing with? This Major League Frickkin' Baseball. If you don't like us signing anybody we want from your country, we'll just crush you. We don't care about your piddling little league. We care about making sure MLB has all the players we want, on any conditions we want, from wherever we want.

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.! ;)

1266883251-LANDON.jpg

Archived