KBO sends letter to MLB, accuses the Orioles of breaking protocols

ChaosLex

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way in hell would that pass muster. Even not being in the "Angelos is cheap" camp, I could see the team fighting that one pretty hard.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't pass muster. A signed contract voided due to negligence on the part of the O's - I'm sure we'll argue that the negligence went both ways. But...

Yeah, good luck there. No court is going to force the Orioles to pay someone who is a Lorean citizen after the deal was voided. Even then, how would the countries enforce it.

Well, I would think a Korean court might. Actually, I could imagine an American court doing it, too. What are you basing this on?

I'm not sure why it wouldn't pass muster. A signed contract voided due to negligence on the part of the O's - I'm sure we'll argue that the negligence went both ways. But...

There wasn't any issue between the Orioles and the player, but between the Orioles and the KBO. So why would the player receive the money, especially since the Koreans were after him as well?

I think this is akin to the minor-league players declared free agents in the 1930s because Landis decided that teams were holding too many players under contract.

There wasn't any issue between the Orioles and the player, but between the Orioles and the KBO. So why would the player receive the money, especially since the Koreans were after him as well?

I think this is akin to the minor-league players declared free agents in the 1930s because Landis decided that teams were holding too many players under contract.

Because he signed a contract that got voided due to the Orioles' negligence and which subsequently cost him the opportunity to play in Korea?

This is just great. Bud just made me really think hard about not getting the MLB package this year. I don't know if this kid is any good at all, but I do know the MLB has been fine with bribes, forgery and basically indenture service throughout the world and the contracts are fine. However the O's better not try to get out in front of a market. The truth is the rules have no provision to stop the O's from signing the kid. All the KBO can do is ask the ML team to please don't sign the kid.

According to Jeeho Yoo the contract hasn't been voided, just held up:

According to KBO officials, MLB said the contract, reportedly worth US$550,000, will not be approved for the next 30 days as part of its sanctions on the Orioles. Kim will have to leave the team for the duration and train on his own.

"The contract between Kim and Baltimore is still valid," one official said. "But after receiving our complaint, MLB has decided not to approve it for 30 days in what we feel is a symbolic gesture. And fining the team is also a significant step."

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2012/02/16/25/0702000000AEN20120216002500315F.HTML

Gotta love how the Orioles' total failure to function well as an organization has left a high school sophomore in the lurch (and before you say, "no one forced him," what would any of us have said to half a million dollars at his age?).

He's still ours.... :)

Archived