Roch on Jones

Sports Guy

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/02/just-a-reminder-that-brad.html

The Orioles haven't approached Jones about an extension. Executive vice president Dan Duquette is focused on the center fielder's 2012 contract. An extension is a back burner issue

What the hell is this?

We still haven't approached him about an extension and all DD is focused on is his 2012 contract?

Are you freakin kidding me? Why in the hell is there even an ounce of focus on his 2012 contract? You are either going to compromise or go to arbitration. That's it....and it will be decided in the next week to ten days.

How are you not focused on what to do with him long term? How have you not approached him about an extension?

This is unbelievably stupid.

You know, a lot of you want us to sign Jones and keep him here...Here is my question to those that want that:

Why would Jones want to stay on the Titanic when he can leave and go to a real organization?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been said here a few times that Roberts and Markakis (Hardy too?) don't appear to be the fiercest of competitors. That might explain why they were open to extending and sticking with status quo and why players like Jones might want to jump off the Titanic (good analogy, except this org was sunk years ago) for greener pastures.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/02/just-a-reminder-that-brad.html

What the hell is this?

We still haven't approached him about an extension and all DD is focused on is his 2012 contract?

Are you freakin kidding me? Why in the hell is there even an ounce of focus on his 2012 contract? You are either going to compromise or go to arbitration. That's it....and it will be decided in the next week to ten days.

How are you not focused on what to do with him long term? How have you not approached him about an extension?

This is unbelievably stupid.

You know, a lot of you want us to sign Jones and keep him here...Here is my question to those that want that:

Why would Jones want to stay on the Titanic when he can leave and go to a real organization?

There's always reason for skepticism with this club, but shouldn't we just take this as a sign he's going to be traded within the next 6 months? We know there have been offers...

Rock-on Jones. The Ayatollah of Rock and Roll'a

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sntTg-KainQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As to Bazooka Jones, Duke made similar comments a week ago. Signing him to an extension now means it's less likely that he could (as opposed to would) be traded.

There's always reason for skepticism with this club, but shouldn't we just take this as a sign he's going to be traded within the next 6 months? We know there have been offers...

Maybe...but we also would LIKELY be trading him at a time where his value would be lower than it is right now.

Maybe...but we also would LIKELY be trading him at a time where his value would be lower than it is right now.

How does that argument work so well for Jones and not so well for Guthrie? You're banking on a decline in Jones numbers the first half? He's performed pretty well the first half of the past two seasons.

I think you're jumping to conclusions in this thread. Why not try to think about WHY the O's aren't talking about an extension with him. It might just make sense.

I can guarantee you that the O's have considered talking extension and have decided not to for some reason. It's not like we just haven't thought about it.

I think this screams that he will be traded. And I don't see how "likely" it is that his value will be lower, due to his age and natural progression. Is it possible? Yes. But I think using the word "likely" is extreme. My guess is that DD sees Jones' weak OBP and doesn't think it is "likely" that he will ever be a high on-base player. He has stated this is the direction he wants to go in and he knows Jones is his best chip. Jones at the break could be a huge contributor to a contender and would "likely" garner a large package.

Edit: Honestly, what is DD going to do, show his cards by saying "Nope we are not going to extend him because we want to fix a bunch of holes by trading him." To me, it is strategy.

For the record, as much grief as I've given Jones over the years, I do like him. Seems like a really good dude and when he gets hot he's awesome to watch hit.

I think he works hard to get better...I'd really like to keep him around. But I can't blame anyone who wants to leave this awful franchise.

I thought last year was rock bottom, but now I'm not so sure. Is it possible that this franchise can get worse before it gets better?

For the record, as much grief as I've given Jones over the years, I do like him. Seems like a really good dude and when he gets hot he's awesome to watch hit.

I think he works hard to get better...I'd really like to keep him around. But I can't blame anyone who wants to leave this awful franchise.

I thought last year was rock bottom, but now I'm not so sure. Is it possible that this franchise can get worse before it gets better?

If last year wasn't rock bottom, I shudder to think what rock bottom will actually be. I'd rather "earn" the #1 overall pick than have last year play out again.

Waiting to talk extension or trade him is beyond stupid. Why risk and injury or a bad first half when you can already get a nice haul for him now?

If the "haul" is actually there, we should have done it yesterday. All we've heard up until this point is a lackluster offer from the Braves. Who knows what else actually exist. I know one thing... this board will explode if we don't get top talent for Jones.

Archived