Roch on Jones

Sports Guy

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said it a few weeks ago after I talked to my source and I'll say it again... Unfortunately it appears that now is the time to trade Adam Jones.

(And I am personally in the 'Keep Jones' group)

Based on Jones' perceived willingness (or unwillingness) to sign an extension, or the FO's lack of effort in re: piecing together said extension?

I said it a few weeks ago after I talked to my source and I'll say it again... Unfortunately it appears that now is the time to trade Adam Jones.

I like Jones, too, but I think it needs to be done. There's no way he wants to stay here, and we need to get as many controllable players as we can for him...or take on players that we can move for other controllable players.

Care to expand on this... doesn't seem like the last part connects to the first part without more info. Looks like your saying Jones won't extend.

Care to expand on this... doesn't seem like the last part connects to the first part without more info. Looks like your saying Jones won't extend.

After speaking with my source, I would be more shocked to hear that Jones and the Orioles have agreed to an extension, then waking up tomorrow to hear that Angelos has sold the team. That's how much it would shock me. I would be absolutely FLOORED.

I said this a few weeks a go after speaking to me source, and I'll say it again...

I would be more shocked to hear that Jones and the Orioles have agreed to an extension, then waking up tomorrow to hear that Angelos has sold the team. That's how much it would shock me. I would be absolutely FLOORED.

If you know it, then the general baseball insider community knows it. Does that hurt his value? As time passes... (depending on his performance) doesn't his value go down?

Duquette said before that he is interested in a long-term deal for Jones, but wanted to get his 2012 contract in place first. He's also repeatedly said he considers Jones to be a part of the core of the team, so I believe DD wants to extend him. I think Jones has reservations, however, based on various cryptic tweets and some "nsider" hints (not talking about the guy who Tony booted off).
Well, if he really does like the O's, he can always come back once he's past his prime.

If you know it, then the general baseball insider community knows it. Does that hurt his value? As time passes... (depending on his performance) doesn't his value go down?

Not speaking for MatthewW, but I wouldn't think this would matter as much. If it was one year left before free agency, I think it might be a bit more of a factor. At this point, a contender is getting Jones for two years where he'll be getting ready for a big contract. I think if it's known the O's can't sign him long term, it really isn't too big a deal.

There is no question that your information is correct. A trade during this season should occur.

How do you know the deal isn't there? It likely depends on what DD is looking for. If DD is not committed to a total rebuild and instead wants to take a shot at .500 without spending much, he wouldn't be interested in a prospect centered deal.

Frankly, this is the only explanation I can think of for DD's offseason to date. I've stated everywhere I think it is the wrong approach. Whether you agree or not, i sure don't see how you can be sure about the quality of the deals currently on the table.

And there you go, making the same mistake you claim that LU is making. Neither of you can be sure. You, however, assert that you "can't imagine" a deal isn't there and use that to build an entire critique of DD's approach.

Maybe it's not "clear" that "the" deal isn't there. The available evidence is something, however. As far as empirical evidence goes: Guthrie, traded just a day ago, couldn't bring back any good prospects. Why would we assume that a similar issue, writ on a larger scale, isn't possible for Jones?

Yeah, I should certainly not say anything is clear. Clarity is the last thing we have here.

I do suspect the right deal simply hasn't been offerred, with the word "right" more a term of art relative to what DD wants than an absolute. For example, I'd personally be willing to consider position-only guys for Jones, as I think that market may actually be undervalued in the trade world right now.

Phil Wood and another person said Jones does not want to extend with the O's. We shall see.

I heard Phil Wood compare him to Lastings Milledge a couple of years ago as well. I am not saying Wood in wrong because alot of people are saying it but I also think there is a part of the local media that wants him gone.

Archived