Roch on Jones

Sports Guy

I truly hope it happens before the season starts. Actually, I would prefer it before his arbitration hearing.

Can't wait to see Miller/Chavez roaming CF?

Jones would be willing to consider an extension, if the team offered him one as he stated.

Hopefully Duquette decides to do that and that's why the date was set further away so that the sides would have time to reach an agreement...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones would be willing to consider an extension, if the team offered him one as he stated.

Hopefully Duquette decides to do that and that's why the date was set further away so that the sides would have time to reach an agreement...

Seriously. Trea has a source.

Jones would be willing to consider an extension, if the team offered him one as he stated

"Thanks for the offer. I've considered it. No."

There, he considered it.

I think the only way we keep Jones long term is (1) by grossly overpaying him, or (2) if the team actually has a surprisingly good season and he starts to feel like the team is headed in a good direction.

I don't care if you are the starting CFer...It doesn't matter.

And of course he would consider it...if you gave him a contract that he isn't worth.

For someone who talks about how we need 5+ WAR players, I have no idea why you want to give so much money to a 2-3 WAR player.

And there you go, making the same mistake you claim that LU is making. Neither of you can be sure. You, however, assert that you "can't imagine" a deal isn't there and use that to build an entire critique of DD's approach.

Maybe it's not "clear" that "the" deal isn't there. The available evidence is something, however. As far as empirical evidence goes: Guthrie, traded just a day ago, couldn't bring back any good prospects. Why would we assume that a similar issue, writ on a larger scale, isn't possible for Jones?

I don't understand your post at all. I commented on a post that made a definitive statement that a deal wasn't there. My post doesn't make a definitive statement. I say something is the only explanation I can think of which is a different thing entirely.

I also don't know what you mean by "available evidence." What evidence do we have that there is no deal there. The fact that it hasn't occured? Odd. The fact that Guthrie didn't bring back a prospect (even if you presume he couldn't) has little to do with Jones. They are totally different players. You know. One is a pitcher...and the other a hitter? One is entering the last year before free agency...etc.

By the way, I don't want my take on Jones or on the Guthrie trade to be taken the wrong way.

This organization is a train wreck. How you can't get a guy like Jackson to take a 3 year deal over a 1 year deal is beyond belief. That failure, to me, is similar to our unwillingness to go after Beltre the year he went to Boston. We bet the market, rather than the value of a player and in doing so, we eliminated ourselves from any chance of signing him. Yeah, I know he didn't have interest in coming here, but a 4 year deal at $10 per or a little higher might have actually gotten that done. We didn't even try, and that looks to be the case with Jackson too. I genuinely believe we could have had both locked up in a deal that would look like a bargain today (for Beltre) or in 2 years (for Jackson). The fact that we didn't trade Guthrie when he had real value or Hardy at last deadline shows that we put short term mediocrity in front of long term success. Upon just about any review, AM's tenure was a total train wreck and DD's has started off, shall we say, controversial. Heck, I'll even go so far as to say AM probably took the wrong Bedard trade.

I'll be interested to see what we do with Soler, but my expectations are zilch. Chen was a really good signing, but Wada doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Our inability to raise payroll and/or push to trade guys like Hardy and JJ has me thinking that Buck/DD are 100% stuck in between winning and rebuilding.

The only thing keeping me sane is my assumption (hope) that DD and the O's are just giving this group a 3-4 month chance to prove us all wrong. If I'm right, a true firesale could happen in July, assuming this team doesn't perform beyond our expectations.

All of this being said, I think it would be wrong to be talking extension with Jones now. That is not the direction we should be going.

End rant.

If I am not mistaken I think Guthrie was injured at the trade deadline last year. Or injured just before the trade deadline and it destroyed any chance for us to let him go last season. I think he would of been moved last year but last year just didnt turn out. NOW he has even less value than if he had been healthy in mid to late July last year.

Since the paywall went up, I'm rarely aware of what the Sun has reported, until someone reports it here.

I think the O's will avoid going to a hearing. Whether they reach a longer term deal, I am skeptical.

I wonder if this is getting out just to make teams think they are interested in a long-term deal with Jones. Might help them in a trade?

Just spitballin' here.

Archived