Keith Law on 105.7 right now

cwalker3

Yeah I am not sure what more fans can do. They have shown their disgust by now showing up. The attendance is propped up by the Yankees, Red Sox and inter league play when fans of other teams travel to Baltimore. I was at a Cardinals game last year and there were tons of Cards fans there. If it weren't for that our attendance would be dead last in the AL or maybe even the MLB.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find annoying about Law is his fixation on the scouting issue. It makes me think there's some ulterior motive there, the way he keeps harping on it and the way he talks about how nobody does it this way, so therefore it must be wrong.

What I find annoying about Law is his fixation on the scouting issue. It makes me think there's some ulterior motive there, the way he keeps harping on it and the way he talks about how nobody does it this way, so therefore it must be wrong.

It's been speculated that he has friends in the Os system that are scouts or that by being a former scout he severely dislikes the way DD handled things. He definitely holds a grudge there in that regard and I agree, it may be ruining his reputation when it comes to analyzing the Orioles right now.

It's been speculated that he has friends in the Os system that are scouts or that by being a former scout he severely dislikes the way DD handled things. He definitely holds a grudge there in that regard and I agree, it may be ruining his reputation when it comes to analyzing the Orioles right now.

Law wasn't a scout -- his experience as an assistant in the Toronto front office was actually geared towards statistical analysis. He did "learn scouting" through some in Toronto, but by his admission he set himself back in evaluative development terms by not opening up more to the scouting side of things while he was a part of a front office.

As to a "grudge", in my admittedly limited circle of scouts, there is definitely an industry consensus that Baltimore has generally gone about things backwards, with a structure that is not particularly appealing to those on the outside.

Which guys are 80?

Ray Poitevint is 82. Lee Thomas is closer to 80 than 70 (born in '36). And I think one of the interns Duquette promoted will be 80 next year. Angelos has kept him on as an intern since '54. And now that he's full-time, maybe he can finally start setting some money aside for retirement.

Ray Poitevint is 82. Lee Thomas is closer to 80 than 70 (born in '36). And I think one of the interns Duquette promoted will be 80 next year. Angelos has kept him on as an intern since '54. And now that he's full-time, maybe he can finally start setting some money aside for retirement.

I found the following pick of the guy you're talking about:

Woodhouse_lemur_doing_heroin.png

As to a "grudge", in my admittedly limited circle of scouts, there is definitely an industry consensus that Baltimore has generally gone about things backwards, with a structure that is not particularly appealing to those on the outside.

OMG :eek:

Of course the Orioles do things wrong. Of course the Orioles do things backwards. Of course the Orioles are awful at practically every part of running a franchise.

So why do so many people here get offended when someone takes them to task? I don't get why so many here hate Keith Law because he takes shots at the Orioles. Like the Orioles don't deserve it?

The Orioles deserve practically any bad press they get. 15 years of losing will do that.

Of course the Orioles do things wrong. Of course the Orioles do things backwards. Of course the Orioles are awful at practically every part of running a franchise.

So why do so many people here get offended when someone takes them to task? I don't get why so many here hate Keith Law because he takes shots at the Orioles. Like the Orioles don't deserve it?

The Orioles deserve practically any bad press they get. 15 years of losing will do that.

Because there is a new GM and he's brought in a lot of change. Change that was never done previously. You want to blame Angelos, I won't get in your way, but blaming Duquette for how things have been done here in the past is just not right. I think we're going to see even more change within the organization next offseason when Duquette has had a year to evaluate everyone. Even Duquette haters are saying how he's doing things backwards and such, but he is doing something different. In that vein, I don't see how you can continually the Orioles "deserve" to get spat on by guys like Law.

I understand you are bitter, trust me, you and I and all of us deserve to be, but all I'm saying is that I'm giving Duquette and his team a chance. If we're in the same boat in a few years then I join back up, but until then I'm going to give Duquette some leeway.

Because there is a new GM and he's brought in a lot of change. Change that was never done previously. You want to blame Angelos, I won't get in your way, but blaming Duquette for how things have been done here in the past is just not right. I think we're going to see even more change within the organization next offseason when Duquette has had a year to evaluate everyone. Even Duquette haters are saying how he's doing things backwards and such, but he is doing something different. In that vein, I don't see how you can continually the Orioles "deserve" to get spat on by guys like Law.

I understand you are bitter, trust me, you and I and all of us deserve to be, but all I'm saying is that I'm giving Duquette and his team a chance. If we're in the same boat in a few years then I join back up, but until then I'm going to give Duquette some leeway.

Did DD let you have his fruit cup at that dinner or something? Did he hire a violinist to come by the table?

(Kidding)

I understand your enthusiasm. I wish I had it still.

Did DD let you have his fruit cup at that dinner or something? Did he hire a violinist to come by the table?

(Kidding)

I understand your enthusiasm. I wish I had it still.

Honestly, I don't have any enthusiasm. I'm not excited at all. I know the background of this organization as well or better than anyone, but I'm just determined to give Duquette and his team time before I start to call them out of touch. I'm not trying to look at things through orange colored glasses, but rather trying to take an even-handed approach. I like that Duquette has made changes to the scouting development since what they were doing wasn't working. I like the fact that Duquette has signed multiple cheap minor-league depth guys instead of signing guys like Garret Atkins, Vlad Guerrero or Derek Lee. I like the fact that he's making the young pitchers earn their spots. I like the fact that we are being aggressive over seas, even if that means pissing off the KBO. However, I didn't like the Guthrie trade because it actually went away from Duquette's stated goal of winning more games then we lose this year and wanting 200 inning pitchers in his rotation.

I've been supportive of Duquette so far, but mainly it's because I'm not going to hold him accountable for the transgressions of this organization over the last 14 years. When I started new endeavors, my only hope was that people would give me time to prove myself. Now, I'm doing the same for Duquette. If i end up finding him lacking, I'll be the first in line to start highlighting his errant ways, just like I did with MacPhail.

Fair enough.

I'm not a DD basher just yet. I agree the changes internally have been nice and those are good to see. MacPhail was pathetic when it came to things of this nature so this is a welcomed change.

However, the face of the ML team is extremely troubling, still. I won't bash DD yet, but I will bash his offseason from the ML team perspective. It's pretty horrible, with lateral moves at best, IMO.

Honestly, I don't have any enthusiasm. I'm not excited at all. I know the background of this organization as well or better than anyone, but I'm just determined to give Duquette and his team time before I start to call them out of touch. I'm not trying to look at things through orange colored glasses, but rather trying to take an even-handed approach. I like that Duquette has made changes to the scouting development since what they were doing wasn't working. I like the fact that Duquette has signed multiple cheap minor-league depth guys instead of signing guys like Garret Atkins, Vlad Guerrero or Derek Lee. I like the fact that he's making the young pitchers earn their spots. I like the fact that we are being aggressive over seas, even if that means pissing off the KBO. However, I didn't like the Guthrie trade because it actually went away from Duquette's stated goal of winning more games then we lose this year and wanting 200 inning pitchers in his rotation.

I've been supportive of Duquette so far, but mainly it's because I'm not going to hold him accountable for the transgressions of this organization over the last 14 years. When I started new endeavors, my only hope was that people would give me time to prove myself. Now, I'm doing the same for Duquette. If i end up finding him lacking, I'll be the first in line to start highlighting his errant ways, just like I did with MacPhail.

Yeah I think this is where I am too. I'm concerned, and I can't say I'm overwhelmed, but I'm determined to give him a chance and some time to see if his methods pay off before I just completely put the guy on blast.

Archived