BBA early draft preview for 2012 top 100

I didn't see this anywhere else. I am by no means any draft expert just want to post some videos that I had seen. Below are the top 10 for quick reference. The link at the bottom provides top 100.

Rk. Player Pos. B/T Ht. Wt. School

1. Mark Appel RHP R-R 6-5 190 Stanford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDt9i_Zi1XI&feature=related

2. Lucas Giolito RHP R-R 6-6 230 Harvard-Westlake HS, Studio City, Calif.

3. Byron Buxton OF R-R 6-2 175 Appling County HS, Baxley, Ga.

comes in @ 2:29

4. Deven Marrero SS R-R 6-1 194 Arizona State

5. Mike Zunino C R-R 6-2 215 Florida

6. Kevin Gausman RHP L-R 6-4 185 Louisiana State

7. Chris Beck RHP R-R 6-3 220 Georgia Southern

8. Brian Johnson LHP/1B L-L 6-3 225 Florida

9. Victor Roache OF R-R 6-1 225 Georgia Southern

10. David Dahl OF L-R 6-2 185 Oak Mountain HS, Birmingham

Top 100

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/draft/early-draft-preview/2012/2612884.html

I know it is very early, but if you suppose for a moment that Appel and Giolito are are gone by the time we pick, who are we looking at with #4? Best player available..., but that may mean we take Zunino © or Marrero (SS). I would be happy with either at this time because we need the quality and the depth for trades or possible position changes down the road. I need to see more of Gausman.

I wonder what Rajisch likes at the top of the draft? Does DD have much to say about the draft?

I am intrigued by David Dahl, Walker Weickel and Gavin Cecchini. I will be checking out Weickel and teammate Jesse Winker a few times this season.

I know it is very early, but if you suppose for a moment that Appel and Giolito are are gone by the time we pick, who are we looking at with #4? Best player available..., but that may mean we take Zunino © or Marrero (SS). I would be happy with either at this time because we need the quality and the depth for trades or possible position changes down the road. I need to see more of Gausman.

I wonder what Rajisch likes at the top of the draft? Does DD have much to say about the draft?

I am intrigued by David Dahl, Walker Weickel and Gavin Cecchini. I will be checking out Weickel and teammate Jesse Winker a few times this season.

Cecchini is legit, and a favorite of Stotle. It's way too early to really get a feel for who is going to separate to the top of the draft, I think you see Buxton up there too even though he's the kinda prospect I usually stay away from. Everything will change between now and June though, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

Marrero was a favorite of mine out of HS, and is a HECK of a defensive SS, he would make a solid INF with Manny at 3B and Schoop at 2B, but with questions about just how much his bat will hold up it could be a risk at #4. Reminds me of Omar Vizquel though.

Thanks Camden Terp. Nice post to analyze on a snowy morning! I'm leaning towards Zunino, Marrero or Roache at the moment. Will have to watch them closely this season. Enough pitchers for awhile. We need hitters on our first two picks in my opinion unless a pitcher falls to us that has a golden arm.

Comments like this really make me scratch my head when Churchill writes...

10. Mitch Nay, 3B, Hamilton (Chandler, Ariz.)

Nay fits the physical profile of a third baseman as much as anyone on this list. An Arizona State commit, Nay isn't as known to scouts as some other talents, but the physical prowess is there and he'll get a chance to show off his power and arm strength all spring. The hit tool is generally the main concern with prep power bats and Nay falls into that category, too.

I don't even know what this means. Nay was at several BIG events. I guarantee there is no area scout in Nay's region that isn't familiar with him. And I'd also imagine the regional folks and decision makers also have a solid book on him already. I mean, if your region is Arizona, how can you not be familiar with one of the top 5 kids in your state? Someone who participated at some of the most high profile scouting events on the summer circuit?

Archived