What if Duquette's plan for 2012....works?

Frobby

Plan plan plan.. show me the plan, I don't know the plan, what's the plan, is there a plan. LOL.. you guys are hilarious. Please forward me to the location where other team's GM have provided their fans the detailed plan you seem to think you deserve from ours.
The "plan" is fairly obvious to those who wish to see. He is attempting a major restructuring of Player Developmen and Scouting, in spite of PA's strictures, while doing what he can to augment thel ML club, particularly SP, within budget constraints. The real test will come at the trade deadline. By that time we will have a better idea about the young SP, and a decision on rebuilding versus win now, will have to be made.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup.

If this did happen, then the ball would be in DD's court to add to that surprising success via trades and good FA signings while continuing to improve the rest of the org.

This will be the proof of DD. If we get to a point where we should be adding an elite player or 2 and don't, then lets just start a petition to have the team relocated or removed from MLB so we can start over with a real owner.

Until then, all the compliants about DD are just cry-baby stuff wanting to pile on an already negatively charged franchise.

The "plan" is fairly obvious to those who wish to see. He is attempting a major restructuring of Player Developmen and Scouting, in spite of PA's strictures, while doing what he can to augment thel ML club, particularly SP, within budget constraints. The real test will come at the trade deadline. By that time we will have a better idea about the young SP, and a decision on rebuilding versus win now, will have to be made.

But they need (apparently) to hear him say it. :)

It could happen. The team could be a .500 team. The young guys just have to mature and stay relatively healthy. That could have happen last year and didn't. What DD has added is two or three more starters who may have the ability to step in when injuries occur. I think Antonelli will have a big effect if he hits for a .350 OBP and plays decent defensive.

If this happens I'll be pleased, but unless we get super performance from Chen and Wada, I'll regard it as AM's team, performing up to it's potential.

Agree to an extent. Hammel and Chen are the only guaranteed starters acquired by DD. Eveland and Wada are fringy. Antonelli or Flaherty could earn the 2B slot. And, Betemit or N. Johnson could play a significant role at DH. But, guys like Jones, Hardy, Reynolds and Matusz will play major roles if this team is over .500. And players like Lindstrom, O'Day, Wada, Chavez and Miller, along with some of the guys mentioned above, could provide contributions from the pen/bench.

I would note that Markakis, Wieters, Arrieta, Britton, JJohnson, and Reimold were all acquired under management prior to McPhail. They will play important roles, as well. (Roberts was too, for that matter.) You could say 2012 is a mix of Flanagan/Duquette, McPhail, and Duquette's team.

Duquette's plan is finding cheap OBP hitters, high K:BB pitchers any way he can. Going to Japan, I'll predict, will be viewed as a good plan in hindsight. This year is going to come down more to the pitching than anything else.

I like the fact that the Orioles have a leadoff platoon with Betemit and Andino, a power hitting SS and 3B, and a Gold Glove catcher that still has upside.

If guys like Matusz, Arrieta, Britton can take the next step, and if Wada and Chen's stuff translates from Nippon, then the O's are really onto something. I see Wada being a left-handed Koji, and Chen could be even better, if he can add a third pitch.

If it works, he'll be lauded. If the O's finish above .500, it'll be a serious vote of confidence for the team, and Duquette will likely get more freedom and, perhaps, a larger budget from ownership to add supplementary talent.

It could happen. The team could be a .500 team. The young guys just have to mature and stay relatively healthy. That could have happen last year and didn't. What DD has added is two or three more starters who may have the ability to step in when injuries occur. I think Antonelli will have a big effect if he hits for a .350 OBP and plays decent defensive.

What do you think are the odds that Antonelli puts up a .350 OBP? ZiPS says .318, PECOTA says .316. I'm not that pessimistic, but I doubt he's at .340 or above.

What do you think are the odds that Antonelli puts up a .350 OBP? ZiPS says .318, PECOTA says .316. I'm not that pessimistic, but I doubt he's at .340 or above.

I think Antonelli has a better chance of hitting for a .350 OBP than Davis has of hitting for a 800 OPS.

I think the rotation will be improved. I not sure what MacPhail would have done to bolster the rotation. MacPhail was not accumlating enough depth to avoid 90 loss seasons and thats on him. He seemed to think that what he was doing was good enough. It wasnt. Maybe MacPhail would have signed Jackson, but we dont know what money he was comfortable spending on FA's-just that he didnt like to. I think the team will win 74 games miniumum this year which would be a drastic improvement. Of course im hoping for 83-85 wins. DD might do some things outside the box but i believe he has the right intentions when it comes to acquiring talent.

Plan plan plan.. show me the plan, I don't know the plan, what's the plan, is there a plan. LOL.. you guys are hilarious. Please forward me to the location where other team's GM have provided their fans the detailed plan you seem to think you deserve from ours.
You can usually figure out the plan from what they are doing.

You can usually figure out the plan from what they are doing.

I refer you to The Distinguished Gentleman from "Everywhere and Nowhere"

I refer you to The Distinguished Gentleman from "Everywhere and Nowhere"

That's not a plan...not in the way I am looking at it.

We all know he is going to try and improve the system, the structure of the organization, etc...That means nothing if talent isn't brought in. That means nothing to the idea of how terrible the decision making is, how they are keeping players that should be traded and how the ML team has zero direction.

Archived