Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

There have been questions in numerous threads about the number of remaining options for various Oriole players. I thought it might be helpful to put this info into one thread and keep it updated. A player in bold indicates an option has been used for the 2012 season. When an option is used, it is good for the entire season (the player can be called up and sent down multiple times during the year).

Three Options Remaining:

Wieters

Chen

Wada (60-day DL)

Flaherty

D. Bundy

Machado

Hoes

Two Options Remaining:

Jones

Drake (60-day DL)

Pomeranz (60-day DL)

Avery

S. Johnson

Gonzalez

Arrieta

One Option Remaining:

O'Day

Mahoney

Exposito

Britton

Matusz

No Options Remaining:

Hammel

J. Johnson

Andino

Davis

Reimold (60-day DL)

Patton

Strop

Teagarden

Tillman

Tolleson

Hunter

Quintanilla

Phillips

Pearce

Need player Permission to Option: (need five years of service time)

Hardy

Reynolds

Markakis

Roberts (60-day DL)

Betemit

Ayala

N. Johnson (60-day DL)

Thome

Ford

McLouth

Saunders

Wolf (60-day DL)

Chavez

Hall

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been questions in numerous threads about the number of remaining options for various Oriole players. I thought it might be helpful to put this info into one thread and keep it updated.

Four Options remaining:

D. Bundy

Three Options Remaining:

Drake

Wieters

Reynolds

Markakis

Chen

Arrieta

Wada

Flaherty

Two Options Remaining:

Mahoney

Adams

Matusz

Hardy

Jones

Britton

Lindstrom

Ayala

Berken

One Option Remaining:

Bell

Tillman

Bergesen

Phillips

O'Day

Antonelli

Chavez

No Options Remaining:

Davis

Reimold

Betemit

Miller

Teagarden

Hunter

Hammel

Patton

Eveland

Strop

Johnson

Simon

Gregg

Thanks, very helpful.

I noticed that as well...what does it mean when a player signs a major league deal? I thought that meant they would be on the major league team?

If a player signs a major league deal, they are on the 40-man roster. They can certainly be sent down if they have options left. They do not have to be on the major league team (25-man roster).

Out of Flaherty and Miller, I think Miller is the better player now, but Flaherty has more potential down the road. I'm concerned about keeping Flaherty on the 25 for the whole year because there's nothing to suggest that he's good enough to play ML ball yet.

I agree completely.

I looked up the career transactions of each player by hand and had to count the number of times he's been optioned for at least 20 days during a season. Sites like this are extremely helpful... http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=6314

Wow that's even more work than I thought it'd be, more rep for you.

Sorry, you'll have to take an IOU for the time being. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• You try to sign long term Gunnar and GR.  Wait and see on the others. As for Adley?   I would not sign him to a long term contract.  I hate to say it because I love the guy but he just does not seem worth what he is going to ask for imo.
    • I am not worried about Means AS LONG AS HE IS HEALTHY.   Big if.  But he knows what he is doing getting ready for what him is his spring training.  If he does this his first 2 starts or so?    Then I worry.
    • I had never seen him in a live at bat until I saw him at his first spring training at bat this year.  And I mean his very first at bat.   He struck out swinging on like 4 pitches and being honest looked completely over matched.  I remember thinking....."hmmmm that seems odd for a guy so highly touted".   He just seemed like he had no idea what he was doing.   But then I never really saw another live at bat from him again all spring training and he ended up doing pretty well.  However every at bat I have seen of him since he got called up?  Looked like that first spring training at bat.  He looks like my wife trying to hit a major league fastball.  He has no idea what he is doing. I have never seen someone so good against minor league players and yet so bad against major league players.  Just a huge discrepancy.   Has to be psychological.   He looks completely intimidated. 
    • And who is this somebody other than Means or Flarerty that would help us in the playoffs. Also remember Bradish and Grod did not help us in the Playoffs. So I guess It was unwise to wait on those 2. Plus Bradish is hurt and uncertain going foward( a la Means) Yeah you piled on.
    • I will say I am surprised at how utterly useless/helpless JH looks after he got called up.   Not just surprised. Stunned is a better word. This is not an 7th round pick who struggled for years in the minors.   This is the #1 pick from 2 years ago who has dominated his entire life in the game of baseball. Yet he looks like a player in 8th grade playing against seniors in HS.  He can barely make any contact and even his fielding and throwing is very iffy. It is like he took up the game of baseball within the last year.   A complete novice.   This has to be mental because even the worst of the worst can make more contact than he is.  He is FLAILING.   No way that is all physical.    At this point you send him down.   No questions asked.   I was more than willing to let him get through this if he SHOWED ANY SIGNS of life.  But he just doesn't.   He looks pathetic.    Manny Machado he is not.   Send him down for at least 3 months.   Bring up Mayo.  Or anyone really.  It is better than what he is offering.
    • DJ Stewart has a 1.031 OPS in 12 games.
    • All I can give you is an anecdote about my nephew. He's not a baseball fan per se, but he likes sports (mostly NFL) and he likes Baltimore teams. He hadn't been to an Orioles game since he was a little boy during the JJ Hardy years (Hardy was his favorite Oriole). Then last season I took him to his first game as an adult on Sunday Night Baseball against the Yankees, and one of the things he said to me he liked about the Orioles was "that the players are all home grown". Considering he was a casual fan at the point, I think extending those home grown players could have a positive impact on the business side of things. But that's only if the Orioles continue to be successful and competitive as a team. Since that game, he's been to several more games on his own and took his girlfriend a few times.
  • Popular Contributors