Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still think Strop is eligible for a 4th option.

I have read many times that "Players with five years of Major League service also can not be optioned to the minors without their consent " Chavez as 8 years of service.

Players with less than five years of professional full season experience are eligible for a 4th option. That is, they have less than five seasons during which they were on a major league or minor league roster for fewer than 90 days.

EDIT: I misread your post.

It's at least possible that the year the Astros optioned Strop and then Strop got hurt, MLB may have granted whatever organization he's in to a 4th option. Is that what you're speculating?

Players with less than five years of professional full season experience are eligible for a 4th option. That is, they have less than five seasons during which they were on a major league or minor league roster for fewer than 90 days.

EDIT: I misread your post.

It's at least possible that the year the Astros optioned Strop and then Strop got hurt, MLB may have granted whatever organization he's in to a 4th option. Is that what you're speculating?

I posted this yesterday in another thread:

I don't think this is about whether the 3rd option was used but rather if Strop is eligible for a 4th option. I think the rules say he is. Here is the rule:

A player may be eligible for a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. (If a player is put on the disabled list after earning 60 or more days of service in a single season, his time on the DL is counted.) The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ion/cots/?p=51

Now lets look at his career: http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=strop-001ped

According to the rules 2007 does not count because it was a short season team. He didn't start the season until mid June.

2007 is one year.

2008 - does not count because he did not spend 60 days on the active list.

2009, 2010 and 2011 all count. That is four years. So if he has not pitched 5 years under the rules he is eligible for a 4th option.

I think he starts the year at AAA unless there are a lot of ST injuries.

I posted this yesterday in another thread:

I don't think this is about whether the 3rd option was used but rather if Strop is eligible for a 4th option. I think the rules say he is. Here is the rule:

A player may be eligible for a fourth option year if he has been optioned in three seasons but does not yet have five full seasons of professional experience. A full season is defined as being on an active pro roster for at least 90 days in a season. (If a player is put on the disabled list after earning 60 or more days of service in a single season, his time on the DL is counted.) The 90-day requirement means short-season leagues (New-York Penn, Northwest, Pioneer, Appalachian, Gulf Coast, Arizona Rookie, Dominican and Venezuelan Summer Leagues) do not count as full seasons for the purposes of determining eligibility for a fourth option. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/co...ion/cots/?p=51

Now lets look at his career: http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=strop-001ped

According to the rules 2003-06 do not count because they were short season teams.

2007 is one year.

2008 - does not count because he did not spend 60 days on the active list.

2009, 2010 and 2011 all count. That is four years. So if he has not pitched 5 years under the rules he is eligible for a 4th option.

I think he starts the year at AAA unless there are a lot of ST injuries.

The first bolded part is what I haven't seen in writing before. Also, the second bolded part is a 'corrected that for you' moment.

If you page down to the bottom of his baseball reference minor league front page, it shows 'Teams Played for'. He started 2005 in the Sally League. But if the dates on baseball reference are accurate, 2005 adds up to 89 days on a roster. To me, that would mean teams (or at least the Rockies) are paying close attention to these things... kind of screwing the players.

Also, if numerous short seasons don't equal one full season, that kind of screws those few players too.

The first bolded part is what I haven't seen in writing before. Also, the second bolded part is a 'corrected that for you' moment.

If you page down to the bottom of his baseball reference minor league front page, it shows 'Teams Played for'. He started 2005 in the Sally League. But if the dates on baseball reference are accurate, 2005 adds up to 89 days on a roster. To me, that would mean teams (or at least the Rockies) are paying close attention to these things... kind of screwing the players.

Also, if numerous short seasons don't equal one full season, that kind of screws those few players too.

JMO but doing roster management is not screwing the players. Its being a well managed club if it is done right.

So do you agree that Strop is eligible for a 4th option based on this information?

It is get 89 days in 2005.

11 in May

9 in June

31 in July

31 in August

7 in Sept.

Thanks for pointing out the chart.

EDITED

Actually, you changed my opinion with that chart. I get 91 days in 2005.

11 in May

11 in June

31 in July

31 in August

7 in Sept.

That is 91 days which would make him not eligible for another option.

Thanks for pointing out the chart.

It says he started at Tri-City on 6-22, so that's only 9 days in June.

Right you are. So it is 89 day and Strop should be eligible for a 4th option.

This is really nice work guys, I think you've put up anicely backed point. I'm going to change the OP to show Strop still has one option left and if you're Strop (or the O's) that could be a very big deal.

I decided to add a section to the OP for veterans who technically have options left, but their permission would be needed for this to occur. Chavez is among them.

Also, you guys did such a great job on Strop I'm wondering if I can get your opinions about Bergesen. Does he have an option left or not? The numbers I can find reveal the following for Bergesen:

3/21/09 - optioned

4/21/09 - recalled (32 days = 1st OPTION USED)

4/20/10 - optioned

5/1/10 - recalled (11 days)

6/13/10 - optioned again

6/26/10 - recaleld (13 days, for a total of 24 days in 2010 = 2nd OPTIONED USED)

4/9/11 - optioned

4/13/11 - recalled (4 days)

5/29/11 - optioned

6/18/11 - recalled (20 days. for a total of 24 days in 2011 - 3rd OPTION USED)

I decided to add a section to the OP for veterans who technically have options left, but their permission would be needed for this to occur. Chavez is among them.

Also, you guys did such a great job on Strop I'm wondering if I can get your opinions about Bergesen. Does he have an option left or not? The numbers I can find reveal the following for Bergesen:

3/21/09 - optioned

4/21/09 - recalled (32 days = 1st OPTION USED)

4/20/10 - optioned

5/1/10 - recalled (11 days)

6/13/10 - optioned again

6/26/10 - recaleld (13 days, for a total of 24 days in 2010 = 2nd OPTIONED USED)

4/9/11 - optioned

4/13/11 - recalled (4 days)

5/29/11 - optioned

6/18/11 - recalled (20 days. for a total of 24 days in 2011 - 3rd OPTION USED)

Its been reported that Bergy has an option left. Apparently they don't start counting days until the season opener. That means his option in 2009 was not 20 days and does not count against him.

• 4 weeks later...

I updated the OP to reflect three things:

1) I have bolded players who have been optioned to the minors this spring. Assuming they stay there 20 days or more, there option will be used. they can be moved up or down as much as the O's like this year, but their option has been burned and I thought I would start to reflect that.

2) I still can't decide about Strop. I think the work done here is outstanding (esp. wildcard and makoman). However, most media outlets are still reporting him has being out of options - although they could be wrong. Right now I'm putting him into the colum of "no options remaining", but I think the jury is still out.

3) I update the list to reflect that Betemit, Lindstrom, Gregg, and Ayala all have more than five (5) years of Major League experience and the O's would need their permission before optioning them to the minors.

There have been questions in numerous threads about the number of remaining options for various Oriole players. I thought it might be helpful to put this info into one thread and keep it updated. A player in bold indicates the number of options has been updated to include moves made for the 2012 season.

Three Options Remaining:

Drake

Wieters

Chen

Arrieta

Wada

Flaherty

D. Bundy

Two Options Remaining:

Mahoney

Matusz

Jones

Britton

Berken

One Option Remaining:

Tillman

Phillips

Bergesen

O'Day

Antonelli

Adams

No Options Remaining:

Davis

Reimold

Miller

Teagarden

Hunter

Hammel

Patton

Eveland

Johnson

Simon

Strop** (some folks argue he may have a fourth option, which can still be used)

Bell

Need player Permission to Option:

Hardy

Reynolds

Markakis

Chavez

Roberts

Betemit

Lindstrom

Ayala

Gregg

I think Flaherty must remain on the 25 man roster this year.
True. But, if he sticks for the full year, after this season, he can be optioned three times.

Flaherty does have the three options, if he remains with the O's on the ML roster they keep him and the options. If not, he's returned to the Cubbies, unless as some have suggested they can work out a deal. I have never heard of that being done though.

Archived