Oriole fans opinion of Mike Mussina

Dexter Morgan

I understand A-Rod and Clemens. But Tex? How is he a dirtbag?

Ohhhh boy, we have some history with Teixeria here. Tex is from the Baltimore area and, for right or wrong, spurned his hometown team for the hated Yankees... then went on to talk all about how he loved coming to Camden Yards in his Mattingly jersey.

Plus the guy just looks like a tool.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ohhhh boy, we have some history with Teixeria here. Tex is from the Baltimore area and, for right or wrong, spurned his hometown team for the hated Yankees... then went on to talk all about how he loved coming to Camden Yards in his Mattingly jersey.

Plus the guy just looks like a tool.

I know the history but I don't see how that makes him a dirtbag. The other two guys are steroid users who cheated on their wives.

BTW. Tex is a tool. He makes stupid faces at the plate. Besides. He hasn't been worth the contract he got. Great defense and power numbers but his BA and OBP has dropped significantly last 2 seasons.

See, there it is again. The entitlement. Why are Clemens/Tex/et al. dirtbags for signing with the Yankees?

Why the hell should Mark Teixeira, a guy who is one of the most talented people in the world at a job that will make his owners a lot of money, sign for anything less than the most money he could get? You want a guy who has worked his ass off his entire life to give away 10, 20, 30, 40 million dollars for the privilege of playing for the Orioles? <i>What?</i>

See, there it is again. The entitlement. Why are Clemens/Tex/et al. dirtbags for signing with the Yankees?

Why the hell should Mark Teixeira, a guy who is one of the most talented people in the world at a job that will make his owners a lot of money, sign for anything less than the most money he could get? You want a guy who has worked his ass off his entire life to give away 10, 20, 30, 40 million dollars for the privilege of playing for the Orioles? <i>What?</i>

You like the fact that he said he used to go to Orioles games wearing a Mattlingly jersey?

I'm not saying I agree with the hate, I don't really care about Mark Teixeira not signing with the Orioles because I doubt they ever made him a substantial offer. I just dislike him because he plays for the Yankees. There is a big anti-Teixeira sentiment on this board, though, and his ties to the area have a lot to do with it.

You like the fact that he said he used to go to Orioles games wearing a Mattlingly jersey?

I think it really doesn't matter either way. I don't believe him. I think, at worst, it's revisionist history. He signs with the Yankees so he says crap like that because it's an easy way to curry favor with fans.

I'm not saying I agree with the hate, I don't really care about Mark Teixeira not signing with the Orioles because I doubt they ever made him a substantial offer. I just dislike him because he plays for the Yankees. There is a big anti-Teixeira sentiment on this board, though, and his ties to the area have a lot to do with it.

Look, I can't blame you for hating a Yankee, I do the same thing :laughlol: But I think his ties to the area lead to this entitlement attitude where he's supposed to sign with the Orioles because he grew up around them. And frankly, I LOVE the Orioles, but they have done nothing to endear themselves to major league baseball players.

I think to myself, what makes a high-demand, major league, free agent baseball player?

-He is one of the most talented people in the world at a very specific skill

-His very specific skill will make whoever owns his services a LOT of money through media and ticket sales

-He works his ass off at one thing, and he's probably been working his ass off at that one thing since, at least, middle school (over a decade)

-He is <b>INCREDIBLY</b> motivated

-He wants to be known for being THE BEST EVER at his very specific skill (the Hall of Fame)

-Part of being known as THE BEST EVER involves winning championships

-He is attracted to teams that work towards earning championships

-He is repulsed by teams that do not work towards earning championships

Money, legend, and happiness. Things that a very talented person with very rare skills can earn by signing with the, say, Yankees. And not the Orioles. Because when the Orioles have to make a decision, they choose to screw people.

And the simple fact of the matter is that by screwing their players, screwing their fans, and screwing their cities, teams like the Orioles become less desirable destinations. Mark Teixeira says to himself (regardless of whatever apparel he SAYS he wore): "I can sign with a good team for more money or a bad team for less money."

That's it. That's the WHOLE DECISION. There is no loyalty or trust broken, because the Orioles DID NOT EARN THAT TRUST OR LOYALTY. Mark Teixeira signed with the Yankees because the Orioles are a bad franchise that offered him less money.

And as for this thread? Mike Mussina made the same decision over a decade ago.

That's why I stated that it could be specious gloating ......... as opposed to the overt, clear-as-day gloating.

Right, and he has been a gentleman - a true gentleman of the road. But I'm sorry. Whenever you come on an opposing team's board - especially as a Yankee fan - and declare your fandom, I'm immediately skeptical. I was just ribbing him a little bit.

Archived