Oriole fans opinion of Mike Mussina

Dexter Morgan

Does it mention his mistress of many years, or is that no longer one thing by which to judge a person's character?

To me, integrity is a central focus of character.

That said, Mussina was a great pitcher but a bad Oriole. He doesn't deserve to wear an Orioles cap in the Hall. Stick him with the Yankees cap, put a propeller on top, say adios.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stick him with the Yankees cap, put a propeller on top, say adios.

You know, that is the sad part. If he had stayed an Oriole, he would be Deity. The Yankees would not even attend his ceremony at any large level. As an O, he would have had a crowd second only to Cal.

If Mussina had personal problems outside of baseball it didn't make the NY tabloids. He was a model citizen in NY. It's too bad he was the bridge between the 1996 to 2000 championships and the 2009 championship.

Actually, I take solace in the fact that all he got out of the sale of his soul was the money.

You know, that is the sad part. If he had stayed an Oriole, he would be Deity. The Yankees would not even attend his ceremony at any large level. As an O, he would have had a crowd second only to Cal.

Absolutely! And $$$$ cannot buy that. Tex could have put himself in that place as well. Instead, Tex, like Mussina, will be nothing more than another baseball whore who sold out for $$$$ and was just another FA signed by the Skankees.

Does it mention his mistress of many years, or is that no longer one thing by which to judge a person's character?

I do not recall ever hearing that Mussina had a mistress, and if memory serves, for a long time he was living with the woman to whom he is now married for a long time before they tied the knot.

In any event, I recommend the book. It doesn't attempt to hold out Mussina as St. Mike, but it gives you a very strong sense of his personality. Same with Tom Glavine, the other subject of the book.

Absolutely! And $$$$ cannot buy that. Tex could have put himself in that place as well. Instead, Tex, like Mussina, will be nothing more than another baseball whore who sold out for $$$$ and was just another FA signed by the Skankees.

What a crock. Mussina gave the Orioles a sweetheart deal in 1997, and when that contract was due to be up, offered to re-up on very fair terms. Angelos subjected him to unreasonable haggling, and when Mussina refused to put up with it and became a free agent, he was offered a much bigger deal that he had already offered to the Orioles. That's on Angelos.

Welcome. We do not like your kind.

I do not care for Mike anymore, though at one time, before George bought him, he was a beautiful thing.

So no, he does not need to go in, and he already made his choice on his preference in caps should he be so fortunate.

Love that line.

I remember when left, i was bitter. He was our ace, and off all teams he chooses the yankees. That was a huge slap in the face for me. i remember reading before he signed how reserve he was and how he hated the idea of big city like NY. So for him to sign there was a huge shock to me. I really wished we would have at least traded him before he left and got something out of him. i, personally am happy he never got a ring. With that said, i think he will one day be a HOF. Maybe not 1st year. 300 wins is a big thing to the voters and it might take a few tries. Especailly considering the other 1st year ballot guys: Glavine, Maddux, Frank Thomas,Kent, and maybe Schillings 2nd year.

What a crock. Mussina gave the Orioles a sweetheart deal in 1997, and when that contract was due to be up, offered to re-up on very fair terms. Angelos subjected him to unreasonable haggling, and when Mussina refused to put up with it and became a free agent, he was offered a much bigger deal that he had already offered to the Orioles. That's on Angelos.

All true, but, from what I understand he said that the O's would get a chance to match any offer and he did not give them that chance. I don't think the O's would have matched it and I don't mind that he left for the Yanks. I just think that if you give your word on something then you do it.

All true, but, from what I understand he said that the O's would get a chance to match any offer and he did not give them that chance. I don't think the O's would have matched it and I don't mind that he left for the Yanks. I just think that if you give your word on something then you do it.

"Hey Peter. I just got a deal from the Yankees that I know you won't match, but I said I would call. K bye."

That would make you feel better?

Love that line.

I remember when left, i was bitter. He was our ace, and off all teams he chooses the yankees. That was a huge slap in the face for me. i remember reading before he signed how reserve he was and how he hated the idea of big city like NY. So for him to sign there was a huge shock to me. I really wished we would have at least traded him before he left and got something out of him. i, personally am happy he never got a ring. With that said, i think he will one day be a HOF. Maybe not 1st year. 300 wins is a big thing to the voters and it might take a few tries. Especailly considering the other 1st year ballot guys: Glavine, Maddux, Frank Thomas,Kent, and maybe Schillings 2nd year.

I believe that was still true. he didn't have a home here. he went back to his farm in PA between starts

I rooted for Moose even when he played for NY. So glad to see him go out with a bang in his final season.

I think the Hall would choose to put him in a Yankees cap and if that's what he wants, so be it. Angelos completely disrespected him. He'll splash big money for re-tread players well past their prime but damned if he re-signs one of the greatest Orioles.

Archived