Oriole fans opinion of Mike Mussina

Dexter Morgan

But what if he had gone to New York and won two or three WS? He probably would have been labeled as an all-time great Yankee. Or he could have stayed in Baltimore and lost his entire career. Hindsight is 20/20, and I can totally see his reasoning for wanting to go to NYY because they had/have a much better chance of winning a championship than the O's.

True, but the OP asked about Orioles fans opinions on Mussina - and at this point it is all hindsight.

I could not have been happier in the fact that he never got a ring in NY.

Looking back now, it doesnt really make all that much difference that he left - but he would have had iconic status if he had stayed her IMO.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mussina is a sore subject still around here , I was a young dude when he left but I remember it like it was yesterday.lol. I was a pitcher growing up so he was kinda of my role model , the day he left I just remember being so mad crying my but off.lol. With that said it was his choice to go to New York and I will always HATE him for it, if he would of went to say Seattle I wouldn't of been as upset but he went to our biggest arch rivals. He will never be forgiven for his choice.

I liked Mussina while he was here. Nothing against the guy. If we had kept him and never had traded Schilling the team might have had some decent years. Oh well. Nothing to get upset about. It is nothing like the Reggie Jackson hatred we used to have.

Mr. Psychologist here :rolleyes:

Do you really thing a couple of general words can define the emotions of a million fans?

Yep.

Mike Mussina gave the Orioles a sweetheart deal, and could've easily been re-signed for a similarly team-friendly deal. And they chose to be morons.

And Moose, who is a very intelligent guy, obviously knew the Orioles needed him a lot more than he needed them. And he went to a team that showed appreciation for his talent (with compensation to match) and left behind a franchise that chose to twist his arm just because they could. And he could probably tell the baseball minds running the ship were none too sharp. The Orioles made his decision to leave for him.

So any fans that are pissed at Moose or think he should've re-signed for less out of some sense of loyalty or thankfulness are barking up the wrong tree.

Mussina was one of the O's all time best SP's. He would haveoremained an O if the stupid owner had not been such an a*(&&). I don't blame him for taking the MFY''s offer after giving the O's a home town deal. I hope he gets into the HOF, he deserves it.

What Moose said. Was my favorite player as a kid- had all his cards etc. I sent him a letter and his '91 Score card with the Suns jersey asking for an autograph. He sent it back signed in couple of weeks. Loved him. Then hated him. Now, don't care, but glad he didn't get the ring with the Scum. Good luck to him getting in the hall, as he should be in, and should be in as an Oriole. F--- Angelos.

What Moose said. Was my favorite player as a kid- had all his cards etc. I sent him a letter and his '91 Score card with the Suns jersey asking for an autograph. He sent it back signed in couple of weeks. Loved him. Then hated him. Now, don't care, but glad he didn't get the ring with the Scum. Good luck to him getting in the hall, as he should be in, and should be in as an Oriole. F--- Angelos.

I'm not sure if he deserves the Hall or not...but if he does, his best seasons were with us.

F Angelos, indeed.

If Mussina had personal problems outside of baseball it didn't make the NY tabloids. He was a model citizen in NY. It's too bad he was the bridge between the 1996 to 2000 championships and the 2009 championship.

No, it's not too bad. It's rather fitting.

Hello. I'm a Yankee fan. I come in peace. I signed up here to get a feel of how the Oriole fan base see their old right hander. I'm sure when he first left for the Yankees of all teams the feelings toward him were pretty negative. But has time and his retirement help mend those feelings? In 2014 Mussina will be Hall of Fame eligible. I think he belongs.. though it may take 4 or 5 years. If he does get in would you want him to go in as an Oriole or does that not matter to you anymore? Also.. has he ever been invited back to Camden?

Quite simply, if Mu$$ina ever goes into the HoF, he should go in with his Yankees hat on proud with a backdrop of money bags. The guys choose to be a mercenary over a legacy. I have no respect for people like that. Mussina is the only Orioles drafted, signed, developed and starred as an Oriole who ever left the Orioles to sign with the Yankees in his prime. He couldn't handle being the ace here and all the responsibilities that went with it. He wanted to just blend in with the other mercenaries and was more comfortable being a 3rd starter then the guy who was relied on here. I consider Mu$$ina a Yankee.

Archived