Has there been one positive moment since before the Allstar break last year?

cb3fsu

I think the premise of this thread is absurd. A moment is commonly regarded as a small measure of time. Any baseball game is composed of a great number of moments and any baseball game win or lose will have a number of positive moments. An extra base hit or a web gem is a positive moment. The question I think the linguistically challenged OP may have had in mind was, "have the O's done anything momentous since last All Star break, besides Sept. 28?"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the fact that everybody here seems to be so down on the Orioles in 2012 means we are definitely going to be better than expected. I'm sure of it. Because last year after we signed the mighty triumvirate of Guerrero, Lee and Gregg, everybody here was talking about how our starting rotation was better than New York's, about how we were going to finish no worse than third, about how 81 wins was going to be no problem and 85-90 was possible. I think the roster now is much stronger than it was one year ago, so I actually am finding all these really pessimistic threads to be quite amusing.

I think the premise of this thread is absurd. A moment is commonly regarded as a small measure of time. Any baseball game is composed of a great number of moments and any baseball game win or lose will have a number of positive moments. An extra base hit or a web gem is a positive moment. The question I think the linguistically challenged OP may have had in mind was, "have the O's done anything momentous since last All Star break, besides Sept. 28?"

Here's two of them. In one game!

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=6690589&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

A couple of positives which may not show immediately in the standings but could contribute big dividends in the future are the changes made in the FO, the total overhaul of the scouting department, the change of coaching personnel in the Minor League system, and the greatly increased presence in the International markets. All this happened after the All-Star break.

Here's two of them. In one game!

<iframe src='http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=6690589&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

That was from 2010. Crawford wasn't with the Rays last year. Remember he was in left field not coming up with the ball for the Red Sox last game of the season.

First, let me mention the so called "BS" about September 28, 2011. I have been an Orioles fan since 1980, possibly before you were born, and that game was one of the most memorable and satisfying I ever witnessed, and I've watched them win the World Series among other things. So don't categorize something as "BS" that you don't understand or have perspective for.

I'm 32 and have been a fan my entire life. I think I have enough perspective to understand the difference between a victory in September that actually means something to the franchise going forward, and something that does not. Did that win do anything whatsoever to paint this team in a different light? Did it do anything to change the way the team is perceived by those outside the organization?

Did it make the top GM candidates want to consider a job with the Orioles? Apparently not.

Did it make the top FA's want to consider playing for the Orioles? Obviously not.

What is BS is that we have fallen so far that in large majority, Orioles fans have now decided that the best moment in recent memory comes at the EXPENSE of Redsox happiness. We have been relegated to the roll of spoiler, now some of you are actually EMBRACING this.

Ridiculous and pathetic. "Haha, Redsox fans. Your team that was contending most of the year isn't going to the playoffs! Ha ha! Our team that was in last place all year, with the worst pitching staff in baseball and one of the worst lineups as well won a series against your already struggling team! What a great season for us!"

I like the Chen signing. I also like the added pitching depth which will no doubt result in quality starts. I like the trade for Davis and Hunter, and the trade for Strop. I like the depth bulit up for the bullpen as well. Jim Johnson's performance as a closer late last year was a positive.

There are far more that I could mention. I am the type of person that finds positives, rather than someone who can't see them.

How have those positives you've been seeing worked out the last 14 years? I predict these positives will work out similarly.

The Orioles were the worst team in the American League last year, and they made absolutely no impact moves this offseason. Our best option is to again trade our few good players for prospects at the hope they all mature at the same time and put it all together...which has been a disaster under 3 straight GM's.

Might as well make it 4!!!

Go O's!!!

A couple of positives which may not show immediately in the standings but could contribute big dividends in the future are the changes made in the FO, the total overhaul of the scouting department, the change of coaching personnel in the Minor League system, and the greatly increased presence in the International markets. All this happened after the All-Star break.

Those changes are already paying off in Korea!!!

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

You can't ask a general question, then quantify it by your own goofy standards and expect people to adhere by them. Something positive IS positive. By your logic, NOTHING that was "positive" actually was, because like the Sox missing the playoffs, they meant "nothing" to the Orioles. Hitting the most homeruns or whatever post ALB? So what, they still finished in the cellar. Markakis and Wieters getting Gold Gloves? Big whoop, they play for a crappy team. Most of the positive "moments" meant nothing to the Orioles in the grand scheme. They were mostly positive for US. And if you can't find positivity in a doormat team like the Orioles not only refusing to lay down so the babyface Red Sox can valiantly hold on and make the playoffs yet again, but refusing to throw in the towel in the very last game of a meaningless season for them...well, your soul is dead, friend.

Whatever you have to tell yourself.
Well give me your troll's definition of "positive" and "moment", or change the premise of the thread. You ask for positive moments and then move the goal posts to dismiss anaything less than celebrating a WS. Some people watch the team for the pleasure of a good baseball game, and don't give a rat's buttocks about how the team is "percieved nationally". If your self esteme is so pathetic that you need to identify with some" nationally percieved" sports powerhouse, in order to have any, I suggest you become a Yankee fan. They will give you instant gratification with almost no investment on your part.

Archived