Beer in the clubhouse

connja

Whatever they get paid a ton more than most people working in an office. They shouldn't be in the clubhouse at all during the games. They should be in the dugout cheering their teammates on. And they should be watching the opposing teams batters to see what works against them and what doesn't.

Or they could be studying video and practicing their swing and receiving treatment from trainers and other things that happen in the clubhouse.

And "cheering on their teammates"? This isn't Little League. Camaraderie is nice, but forcing it on adults will create a backlash.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I work at a military installation where, long ago, there were locals with connections to the Bud distributor who'd go get a truck full of beer and drive it on base for after-hours crab feasts and the like. Of course that's now verboten, and has been for 20-30 years. Not quite the same, but the golf club house on the Pax River Naval Air Station had a vending machine that dispensed beer as late as the 80s or 90s.

Sometimes I think life might have been a little more fun before professionalism sanded off the rough edges. Baseball has been in an accelerated era of increased professionalism for about 25 years. The game on the field has gotten markedly better, but there are fewer openly bizarre things that go on, and I lament that often.

Same here when I was in the service. I'm not sure if it's a military-wide thing now, but back then it was pretty much up to the base commander as to whether or not it was OK to have beer at the workplace while off-duty. There were a number of times we would get a half-keg for a picnic when I was stationed in CA. My other duty station was at Lackland AFB, TX. There drinking beer was pretty much limited to the living areas and the clubs, but that was primarily due to the fact that Lackland is where basic training is done for all enlistees entering the AF more than it was anything else.

Or they could be studying video and practicing their swing and receiving treatment from trainers and other things that happen in the clubhouse.

And "cheering on their teammates"? This isn't Little League. Camaraderie is nice, but forcing it on adults will create a backlash.

Well evidently what goes on is drinking beer and eating chicken. It isn't forced. It is common sense. You are out there to be professionals and do your job. If someone on your team is going to be upset that they have to be in the dugout in the game cheering on their teammates you don't want them on your team anyway.

Same here when I was in the service. I'm not sure if it's a military-wide thing now' date=' but back then it was pretty much up to the base commander as to whether or not it was OK to have beer at the workplace while off-duty. There were a number of times we would get a half-keg for a picnic when I was stationed in CA. My other duty station was at Lackland AFB, TX. There drinking beer was pretty much limited to the living areas and the clubs, but that was primarily due to the fact that Lackland is where basic training is done for all enlistees entering the AF more than it was anything else.[/quote']

No drinking during work while I was in but I will say a blind eye was turned to any hungover or still intoxicated individuals at morning PT.

No drinking during work while I was in but I will say a blind eye was turned to any hungover or still intoxicated individuals at morning PT.

In 1979, I can recall going to the base club at NAB Coronado for lunch, watching strippers (topless and bottomless), get completely smashed and then going back to work. I guess the wives club complained about the strippers to the Base CO's wife and they finally had to stop that part....... but not the drinking.

The guys in Boston abused the policy last year. Their behavior combined with the team's collapse led to the Red Sox losing this privledge. I think that beer in the clubhouse is ok until it becames a distraction. Further, I don't think its too much to ask a professional ballplayer to be on the bench or bullpen during the games. (Save for the decent reasons posted. studying video, DH using the cage, etc.) Other than building camaraderie, bench players can help their teammates in a number of ways. (Picking opposing pitchers, giving first hand accounts of scouting reports, etc.) The beer is always colder after a win anyway.

Well evidently what goes on is drinking beer and eating chicken. It isn't forced. It is common sense. You are out there to be professionals and do your job. If someone on your team is going to be upset that they have to be in the dugout in the game cheering on their teammates you don't want them on your team anyway.

First of all, nice attempt to dismiss my entire post with a throwaway line. Too bad it only shows that you don't have a real counter. A major-league clubhouse is a place of many contradictions, so to act like the sins of a few in one side destroy the entire thing shows failure to understand what the thing actually means.

Also, we'll take two average teams, only I get to replace one player with Reggie Jackson and you get to replace one player with David Eckstein. We'll see who wins more games, OK? I want the best players on my team, not the best boys at coming up with rhymes for "pitcher" other than "belly-itcher".

I don't really know which sounds worse, being drunk during PT, or hungover. Either way it sounds like you'll be seeing your last meal once more.

First thing that came to mind when reading the OP? The Red Sox will not be toasting to the playoffs in 2012!

Even looked up their Sept./Oct. schedule....O's last home game series is against the Sox, who travel to NY to end their season (from Baltimore) :)

This also reminds me of Hamilton's transgression this offseason. I think it says a lot about the Rangers avoiding alcohol to celebrate their past two seasons... but I will be completely honest:

IMO, he should let his teammates enjoy the moment, he doesn't have to drink along. And it says more about him, if he can enjoy a celebration without partaking in alcohol when its around. This is my fan perspective, not a baseball player/organization/coaching view. If I were in his shoes...I'd say give me the sparkling cider and you enjoy the bubbly!

Also, IF i were in his shoes, I would be especially taken back by the gesture the Rangers have done the last couple of seasons. If it's strictly a team decision that is very cool...If it is 2012, I'd break the WS title curse with some bubbly in the office....and not partake!

There's nothing wrong with a few beers after work.

Some places even allow beer to be consumed on premises, usually smaller companies, but it still goes on. I've heard rumors that the World Bank in DC allows wine and beer to be consumed with lunch.

There's nothing wrong with a few beers after work.

Some places even allow beer to be consumed on premises, usually smaller companies, but it still goes on. I've heard rumors that the World Bank in DC allows wine and beer to be consumed with lunch.

The problem with a few beers after work in this case, is that most of these guys drive themselves home.

First of all, nice attempt to dismiss my entire post with a throwaway line. Too bad it only shows that you don't have a real counter. A major-league clubhouse is a place of many contradictions, so to act like the sins of a few in one side destroy the entire thing shows failure to understand what the thing actually means.

Also, we'll take two average teams, only I get to replace one player with Reggie Jackson and you get to replace one player with David Eckstein. We'll see who wins more games, OK? I want the best players on my team, not the best boys at coming up with rhymes for "pitcher" other than "belly-itcher".

In the Boston case, the sins of a few (Beckett and Lester) did get beer banned in their clubhouse this year. They abused the policy, and it became a huge big deal because the team collapsed. These guys were more concerned about having a good time than their team. They could have had their little parties after the game, but it would have infringed on what they did after the game. Those guys did not get it, so the whole team lost their beer.

As much as I loved watching Reggie Jackson play, I might take you up on the challenge. At least I know I'll be getting Eckstein's best effort every night. I won't have to worry about him not hustling in the outfield, bunting on his own, etc. So while you're wrestling Reggie in the dugout like Billy Martin in 1978, I'll let Eckstein move the winning run over from second with a ground out to the right side. They both seem to be bright guys, so I'm not sure who writes better poetry.:)

I don't really know which sounds worse, being drunk during PT, or hungover. Either way it sounds like you'll be seeing your last meal once more.

Not falling down drunk, closer to still buzzing. I did it once myself since they had a shake and bake holding PT that day and I was annoyed about it. Wasn't bad at all.

Never tried it hungover I mostly saved the heavy drinking for the weekends.

Maintenance level PT isn't all that strenuous if you are used to it. Anyone serious about their fitness would supplement it.

A lot of people are harping on the whole driving home thing without any real information being posted about the actual volume of alcohol being consumed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that driving drunk is OK, but why do we automatically assume that it's being universally consumed to such a level of excess?

A lot of people are harping on the whole driving home thing without any real information being posted about the actual volume of alcohol being consumed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that driving drunk is OK, but why do we automatically assume that it's being universally consumed to such a level of excess?

Nope, but all it takes is one incident. Heck one incident where the player drank in the clubhouse but was still below the legal threshold for intoxication would be bad.

Archived