Beer in the clubhouse

connja

A lot of people are harping on the whole driving home thing without any real information being posted about the actual volume of alcohol being consumed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that driving drunk is OK, but why do we automatically assume that it's being universally consumed to such a level of excess?

You made the assumption it's universally being consumed to excess. It only takes one incident to create a very bad situation for a club/player. Why should a baseball club be accomodating alcohol?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing wrong with a post game beer if consumed responsibly. I've had drinks with co-workers at previous jobs in the office after the work was done. I've interviewed players who were sipping on a beer after the game was over. If they're having one during the game, it's obviously a different story, and an unacceptable one at that. But post game? You can do that responsibly and professionally.

A lot of people are harping on the whole driving home thing without any real information being posted about the actual volume of alcohol being consumed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that driving drunk is OK, but why do we automatically assume that it's being universally consumed to such a level of excess?

The volume of alcohol doesn't matter. You shouldn't drive even after one beer. I know many on here will vehemently disagree with me, but it's true. You can be held criminally responsible for causing an accident and having any amount of alcohol in your system.

The volume of alcohol doesn't matter. You shouldn't drive even after one beer. I know many on here will vehemently disagree with me, but it's true. You can be held criminally responsible for causing an accident and having any amount of alcohol in your system.

So to remain logically and morally consistent, I think the Red Sox need to ban all alcohol at Fenway. And all alcohol-related advertising. Sure, they'll lose what's probably $10s of millions in revenues, but it's for the common good.

In the Boston case, the sins of a few (Beckett and Lester) did get beer banned in their clubhouse this year. They abused the policy, and it became a huge big deal because the team collapsed. These guys were more concerned about having a good time than their team. They could have had their little parties after the game, but it would have infringed on what they did after the game. Those guys did not get it, so the whole team lost their beer.

I'm not at all convinced that they "abused" anything. Let's also get straight that the only reason the team lost the beer is because the media and the fans consciously allowed themselves to make a fallacious connection in their minds, and Valentine (likely along with the front office) just doesn't want to talk about it all spring and summer. If that story doesn't get out, they don't lose their beer.

As much as I loved watching Reggie Jackson play, I might take you up on the challenge. At least I know I'll be getting Eckstein's best effort every night. I won't have to worry about him not hustling in the outfield, bunting on his own, etc. So while you're wrestling Reggie in the dugout like Billy Martin in 1978, I'll let Eckstein move the winning run over from second with a ground out to the right side. They both seem to be bright guys, so I'm not sure who writes better poetry.:)

You can go ahead and watch Eckstein waste outs while I watch Jackson hit three homers in three swings to win a World Series.

A dumb law if ever there was one.

I'm not at all convinced that they "abused" anything. Let's also get straight that the only reason the team lost the beer is Robert Andino sent them home... If he makes an out, they don't lose their beer.

I agree completely. It is all Robert's fault. They should install a sobriety checkpoint on Yawkee Way.

I'm not at all convinced that they "abused" anything. Let's also get straight that the only reason the team lost the beer is because the media and the fans consciously allowed themselves to make a fallacious connection in their minds, and Valentine (likely along with the front office) just doesn't want to talk about it all spring and summer. If that story doesn't get out, they don't lose their beer.

You can go ahead and watch Eckstein waste outs while I watch Jackson hit three homers in three swings to win a World Series.

They abused the policy by drinking during the games IMO. The media breaking the story obviously played a huge rule in bringing on the ban. However, it would not have even been a story had Lester and Beckett behaved like grown men and drank their pops after the game. At worst, their actions showed a lack of discipline in the clubhouse. It ultimately cost Francona his job. As a result, Valentine had to ban the beer.

Kind of hard to argue against Reggie on the big stage. He was pretty clutch. You would win more games with the Hall of Famer than I would with my overachiever.

My guy was on a couple of World Series winners as well. he was the guy giving the fist bumps to the sluggers after cheering them on.:thumbsup1:

Archived