GAME THREAD: Maryland vs. North Carolina

OFFNY

This is the "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome. The walk-ons are walk-ons because they aren't very good. Some jobs are generally thankless. Being a walk-on is one of them. You don't do it for the glory. But, if they happen to get some PT and score in the course of the game, then GREAT. It's nice that they get rewarded for all their hard work. Yet, the widely accepted unwritten rules of the game don't just go away because some (relatively) crappy player on a good team actually has the ball. People are only fine with it because they like the "feel-good story" of the underdog hitting a three to end the game. Well, BS. There's no story in hitting a meaningless three that only serves to disrespect your opponent.

There's where you're wrong. Henson's dunk, absolutely, DuPont's shot, absolutely not.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome. The walk-ons are walk-ons because they aren't very good. Some jobs are generally thankless. Being a walk-on is one of them. You don't do it for the glory. But, if they happen to get some PT and score in the course of the game, then GREAT. It's nice that they get rewarded for all their hard work. Yet, the widely accepted unwritten rules of the game don't just go away because some (relatively) crappy player on a good team actually has the ball. People are only fine with it because they like the "feel-good story" of the underdog hitting a three to end the game. Well, BS. There's no story in hitting a meaningless three that only serves to disrespect your opponent.

You want to know what's really the "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome? The thought process that leads one to believe the other team has to be uber-nice and allow you to remain artificially close in a game you didn't belong in. If you're so worried about being embarrassed in a game, either (a) play better or (b) quit competitive sports.

It's nothing at all like that.

Let's also not forget the student aspect of this, that a lot of the students watching the game probably know these guys personally and have good relationships with them. If you were friends with a walk-on and he had a chance to get in and score at the end of the game, would you be happy for him? Or would you sit on your hands and later criticize him for breaking basketball etiquette?

And lastly, there's nothing at all wrong with a "feel-good story". It's OK to be happy for other people when they get a nice moment in their life. No one was disrespected. I'm sure the MD players forgot about it 2 minutes after it happened.

Like I said, I think the proper thing to do would have been to dribble out the clock as well, and I think it's what I would have done in that scenario, but it's really not some huge slap in the face to MD.

See, I would almost definitely care a lot less about this if Henson hadn't dunked on us before. That got me pissed. It pissed off Turgeon as well. He was public about it. After that, UNC should understand that they had their fun, but now its time to play with a little respect. The fact that they went and did something questionable AGAIN, makes me even more mad. It shows me that they didn't care that they disrespected Maryland the first time and are going to do it again. That's why I don't respect Roy. If he claims to have all this respect for Turgeon, he would have had his team stay as far away from crossing the line as possible. He wouldn't have allowed there to be this debate. Gary hated the crap out of the guy for a reason. No chance in hell Coach K would have let this happen, even the first time.

I have to believe that the people bent out of shape either 1) haven't played sports at this level, or 2) haven't been close with people who play sports at this level. It's such a non-issue for anyone actually involved in the game that it's laughable how much attention fans and the media give to stuff like this...

I have to believe that the people bent out of shape either 1) haven't played sports at this level, or 2) haven't been close with people who play sports at this level. It's such a non-issue for anyone actually involved in the game that it's laughable how much attention fans and the media give to stuff like this...

And you'd be wrong, but that's not surprising. It has nothing to do with playing or having someone close to you playing at a high level. I understand completely the scenario these kids were in the other night. There are a bunch of coaches at every level of the sport who would not have let their players throw up multiple shots with under 30 sec left on the clock while winning big no matter the circumstances.

One more time ,I have no problem with firing up as many shots as they want, running up the score etc outside of the last 35 sec of the game. There comes a time every sport at every level where you call it a night and take your foot off the gas pedal out of respect regardless of the situation. The equivelant in football would be a team up big on senior day with a senior 3rd string QB in the game. If the coordinators want to keep calling pass plays with 4 min left on the clock to get another score and TD for that kid thats fine, but if you're still hurring to the line, spiking the ball,stopping the clock with 30 sec left trying to get more passing plays, thats taking it a step too far. You still have to play the game with the right integrity. By that I mean your not maximizing possessions with under 1 min left and gunning up multiple shots with the clock literally down to the last few seconds. The game shouldn't be played completely differently just because there are senior walkons on the court.

And you'd be wrong, but that's not surprising. It has nothing to do with playing or having someone close to you playing at a high level. I understand completely the scenario these kids were in the other night. There are a bunch of coaches at every level of the sport who would not have let their players throw up multiple shots with under 30 sec left on the clock while winning big no matter the circumstances.

One more time ,I have no problem with firing up as many shots as they want, running up the score etc outside of the last 35 sec of the game. There comes a time every sport at every level where you call it a night and take your foot off the gas pedal out of respect regardless of the situation. The equivelant in football would be a team up big on senior day with a senior 3rd string QB in the game. If the coordinators want to keep calling pass plays with 4 min left on the clock to get another score and TD for that kid thats fine, but if you're still hurring to the line, spiking the ball,stopping the clock with 30 sec left trying to get more passing plays, thats taking it a step too far. You still have to play the game with the right integrity. By that I mean your not maximizing possessions with under 1 min left and gunning up multiple shots with the clock literally down to the last few seconds. The game shouldn't be played completely differently just because there are senior walkons on the court.

Those analogies (spiking the football to stop the clock and run more plays) are just disingenuous. Righteous indignation is the "in" thing nowadays -- particularly with regards to sports media -- but the vast majority of players just don't care about a situation like the end of the UNC/MD game.

And the whole argument is flat out bogus, by the way. If it were UNC losing at home by 20, and the walk-ons trying to extend the game that's clearly already over, I doubt anyone on here would be *****ing. It's all ego driving this conversation -- fans get emotional after losses and obsess over this stuff. Players move on to the next game...

Those analogies (spiking the football to stop the clock and run more plays) are just disingenuous. Righteous indignation is the "in" thing nowadays -- particularly with regards to sports media -- but the vast majority of players just don't care about a situation like the end of the UNC/MD game.

And the whole argument is flat out bogus, by the way. If it were UNC losing at home by 20, and the walk-ons trying to extend the game that's clearly already over, I doubt anyone on here would be *****ing. It's all ego driving this conversation -- fans get emotional after losses and obsess over this stuff. Players move on to the next game...

LOL, you think. Obviously completely different being up 20 and down 20 and gunning up shots and extending the game.

But your right in one regard, of course the players and coaches move on and aren't harping on any of this. I wouldn't expect them to do any of that. The media and especially fans are obviously going to do more of it. They are the ones who's linger on this kind of stuff. They don't have to prepare for another game like the coaches and players do. Fans move on once the next game begins the players and coaches move on once the last game ends.

I will however take issue with saying players don't care about a situation like the end of that game. No, I never played sports at Div 1 level but I've coached, officiated and played at a competitive level for a long time. I've seen numerous situations where things like this happen. What some people would consider small or non issues others are bothered by and annoyed. Like I said it's a fundamental, philosophical difference to how people approach competition. I would bet heavily that there were Maryland players or coaches that were annoyed by how the last 30 sec went down in that game. No, a stink is not going to be made over it but it's something you sit and say to yourself or teammates" that was bogus". Furthermore, that also becomes a PR thing once you get to a certain level . Once you get to a Div 1 or Pro level I would venture to say that there is a lot more biting of the tongue and words being said under your breath vs airing it publicly.

The way I've posted in this thread I can see how it would come off as me thinking those guys committed a sin but it really was just something that annoyed me. Something I would not have chosen to do or as a coach a situation where I would have told my kids to run out the clock. I really don't have any problems with the kids my issue would be more with William for not telling his players to dribble out the clock there with under 30.

I mean...is the Henson dunk really that big of a deal? It lead to the Terps losing by 2 more points. Oh the horror!

If you are fighting with someone, get beat up, submit, then as the other guy is walking away he kicks you in the nuts, that's OK because he's only hurting you a little more, right?

I mean...is the Henson dunk really that big of a deal? It lead to the Terps losing by 2 more points. Oh the horror!

I have to agree with this... Losing is losing. If you don't like it, then win.

Archived