Tim Kurkjian: Arrieta and Matusz looking good

caljr

Not too much to take away here, IMO. He was around the plate and, as I recall, only one hard hit ball. The RBI double was on an 0-2 pitch that wasn't a pitcher's pitch. But in ST, the pitch sequences aren't always optimal. I'm looking forward to seeing him stretch out and see how his velocity holds up the second time through the line-up.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny people can say Matusz is great before he appears in a game due to what Wieters says but when he does poorly in a game it is too early to say anything.

I'm not sure why you want people to take your opinion over that of Wieters and SG, especially when those two are clearly correct in this case.

Not much to add here. I thought Matusz pitched OK for March 5th. His velocity was solid, and he made quite a few good pitches, but also a few bad ones, particularly the pitch that was hit for a double. Obviously, he threw more fastballs than you'd expect to see once the season starts. That's normal for the start of spring training. Let's see how things progress from here.

Funny people can say Matusz is great before he appears in a game due to what Wieters says but when he does poorly in a game it is too early to say anything. I know he didn't throw many curves. He needs to throw more to be effective.

I think this game was a rude awakening to how the team will be for some of you but no make excuses all you want. I wish the team would trade Reynolds, Hardy, Jones, and Reimhold and rebulid with defense in mind.

I wouldn't get too upset because some guys on an internet board dont agree with your opinion and decide to act like clowns. You are entitled to your opinions. You did nothing wrong or stupid by posting them.

Why you might ask, do these guys get so worked up when you see things differently than they do?

Or, why you might ask do they seem to take it so personally when you view BMat differently than they do?

I cannot help you answer those questions. I can tell you from reading posts here on the OH that certain guys have very high opinions of themselves and when you dont share the same perspective on everything with them they get pissy.

Just keep posting what you think. And even though some may pile on in order to gain "favor" in the eyes of some you were far more accurate in what you said than they give you credit for.

Hey, just remember, reality is not the same for everyone here. Take Jeremy Guthrie for example. This guy was the 2nd coming of Cy Young for some here. He has been defended and lauded as if he were a HOFer. If only the rest of the team were better, or . . . . . . . . . . . . . . many other excuses, he would have a better record. The reality is Guthrie is a below avg starter and is a guy who always found a way to lose rather than win.

BMat apparently has filled the void left by Guthrie's departure. These guys need somebody to defend and make excuses for. And when you point out the guy isnt so great you are apparently attacking them.

What you said about BMat is not only viable, but should be the perspective. BMat was so awful last year that what he did last night, and will do in ST is all related and significant - even if SG says it isnt. What BMat did last year was so horrible he should have been cut but his "reputation" makes it worth giving him another shot. And if that shot in ST is not significantly better he should be gone, IMO.

I wouldn't get too upset because some guys on an internet board dont agree with your opinion and decide to act like clowns. You are entitled to your opinions. You did nothing wrong or stupid by posting them.

Why you might ask, do these guys get so worked up when you see things differently than they do?

Or, why you might ask do they seem to take it so personally when you view BMat differently than they do?

I cannot help you answer those questions. I can tell you from reading posts here on the OH that certain guys have very high opinions of themselves and when you dont share the same perspective on everything with them they get pissy.

Just keep posting what you think. And even though some may pile on in order to gain "favor" in the eyes of some you were far more accurate in what you said than they give you credit for.

Hey, just remember, reality is not the same for everyone here. Take Jeremy Guthrie for example. This guy was the 2nd coming of Cy Young for some here. He has been defended and lauded as if he were a HOFer. If only the rest of the team were better, or . . . . . . . . . . . . . . many other excuses, he would have a better record. The reality is Guthrie is a below avg starter and is a guy who always found a way to lose rather than win.

BMat apparently has filled the void left by Guthrie's departure. These guys need somebody to defend and make excuses for. And when you point out the guy isnt so great you are apparently attacking them.

What you said about BMat is not only viable, but should be the perspective. BMat was so awful last year that what he did last night, and will do in ST is all related and significant - even if SG says it isnt. What BMat did last year was so horrible he should have been cut but his "reputation" makes it worth giving him another shot. And if that shot in ST is not significantly better he should be gone, IMO.

Well, it is obvious you are just trying to bait people with some of the stuff earlier in your post, but as to the bolded statement, let's be real. Matusz pitched pretty well in 2009 and 2010, and you don't cut a guy, even if he is having a terrible year, when he has been pretty good in the past and you have two more options on him. The worst that happens to Matusz is that he gets sent to AAA. I don't feel the need to "defend" Matusz, that is just reality. He will have to pitch well this spring to make the club, but if he doesn't, he's going to AAA.

I thought the first inning was as crisp as I've seen from Matusz since 2010. He was effortlessly gliding his FB low and away to righties and lefties. He was sitting 89-91. His location was top-notch. He also threw a slightly slower changeup (I saw one clocked at 80, at least).

The second inning, however, Matusz looked like he was struggling to get the velocity on his FB up. Instead of the effortless delivery I saw in the first, it looked as though he was trying to "push" his fastball out, rather than just slinging (I have no scientific basis for any of that, just going on my observation). His velocity was 87-89, but eventually, he got it back up to the low 90's.

For now I'm not too worried. I want to see what he can do against a full A-squad lineup for 70 or so pitches. It's far too early to tell. Hopefully, we'll see his plus curveball later in the spring. The few attempts at it tonight were fugly.

This is just inane. You don't cut a young, highly drafted pitcher who has one bad season and two promising ones on his resume. You particularly don't come to such conclusions after one ST start, or even a full ST of such starts. This is especially true of a team that needs to count on young talent to develop, because otherwise we don't have a shot.

I thought the first inning was as crisp as I've seen from Matusz since 2010. He was effortlessly gliding his FB low and away to righties and lefties. He was sitting 89-91. His location was top-notch. He also threw a slightly slower changeup (I saw one clocked at 80, at least).

The second inning, however, Matusz looked like he was struggling to get the velocity on his FB up. Instead of the effortless delivery I saw in the first, it looked as though he was trying to "push" his fastball out, rather than just slinging (I have no scientific basis for any of that, just going on my observation). His velocity was 87-89, but eventually, he got it back up to the low 90's.

For now I'm not too worried. I want to see what he can do against a full A-squad lineup for 70 or so pitches. It's far too early to tell. Hopefully, we'll see his plus curveball later in the spring. The few attempts at it tonight were fugly.

I agree. Except in the second, becauses the Bucs were sitting on the fastball, I thought he went to the cutter, which may account for his decline in velocity.

This is just inane. You don't cut a young, highly drafted pitcher who has one bad season and two promising ones on his resume. You particularly don't come to such conclusions after one ST start, or even a full ST of such starts. This is especially true of a team that needs to count on young talent to develop, because otherwise we don't have a shot.

Last season was not just "bad." It was horrendous!

You guys act like he just had a few bad outings, so its no big deal.

Nobody has been any worse at any time on record. There is reason for concern.

Well, it is obvious you are just trying to bait people with some of the stuff earlier in your post, but as to the bolded statement, let's be real. Matusz pitched pretty well in 2009 and 2010, and you don't cut a guy, even if he is having a terrible year, when he has been pretty good in the past and you have two more options on him. The worst that happens to Matusz is that he gets sent to AAA. I don't feel the need to "defend" Matusz, that is just reality. He will have to pitch well this spring to make the club, but if he doesn't, he's going to AAA.

There is no "baiting."

The guy posted his opinion and got blasted for it by some people that didnt agree with him. In doing that they called him STUPID. They said what he posted was the worst thing they have ever read, or similar. There is no reason to do that. For people to do that to the guy means they have an agenda of some sort, or they have issues with other people who disagree with them. Pointing it out is not baiting, it is reality.

That still doesn't justify your logic that he should be cut. He has two options left, if he continues to pitch like he did last night, he'll start in the minors, but he's not getting "cut". He's at least two years away from having that happen.

I am fine with calling it horrendous. But it also comes with the caveat that we don't know how much his injuries played into the troubles.

Of course there is reason for concern, the point is that there is not sufficient evidence for him to be cut, as you claim.

Pointing it out is not baiting, it is reality.

Sure it is. It's called using the "ignore" button literally, or using it figuratively. Either way, if you choose to get involved in it, then you're of the same ilk.

Very few teams I know have cut a first round, highly drafted pitcher (who did well until last year) after one bad season. In fact, I'd bet that most teams will keep a 1st rounder longer than other prospects simply because of the potential that exists in that player. BMat, whether he pans out or not, has more potential than just about any prospect we've produced. It's worth giving him more than ST to decide if he's done and should be cut from the team.

I don't have much faith that he'll turn around his career, but I'm not going to deny that there is the potential that he can.

Archived